Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire pressure

View my Photos
Harry Webster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-22          13050

Newbie Question: I just took delivery of my new JD4100 on Saturday. Very impressed so far. While looking through the manuals, I cannot find any information on tire pressures. The only reference is to looking for the max inflation pressure on the side of the tire. I have the 410 loader and ballast box with about 600 lbs in it and am looking for some guidance on tire pressures.HarryW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire pressure

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-22          13057

Harry,
Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but relying on a manual, and that little sticker inside the driver's side door cost me $600 in very premature tire. WHY? The car's manual called for standard 35PSI tire pressure. WELL...for one reason or another, they are no longer available and now come with 44PSI ratings. So...between having stiff 50 series sidewalls which put your rims about 2" off the ground, and running them well below the rating..Guess who burned a set of expensive performance tires off in less than 6 months?? To make matters worse, the tire place filled em to 44psi, and I thought they put to much air in them, and let air out to about 30psi...Worse yet!! the max pressure ratings were stamped on the tire less than a few inches from the fill stem. Not my brightest moment, if you know what I mean.. These tires might have been a bit more sensitive to low PSI than normal car or truck tires, but my point to this story is to look on the tire, and trust the tire stamp rating, rather than the manual. OK, I'm finished... Gosh..That incident still gripes me.. ....

Tire pressure

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-22          13060

I think that it depends on the type of tire, and how you are using the tractor. I tend to run turf tires at a higher PSI than R4's. Unlike the turfs, the R4's have very stiff sidewalls, which allows for lower operating pressures.

I usually run the fronts on my JD4300 w/R4's close the maximum since I do a lot of loader work. I run the rears about half the max pressure since they are so stiff. Makes for a little better ride. ....

Tire pressure

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-22          13074

Harry, first of all congrats on your new machine. Secondly, start with the pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tires, if there is a problem (such as overly tough ride) you can then, after a little experience, adjust pressures until you get what you are looking for. You did not say if your machine is equipped with a loader, if it is,DO NOT run anything but the recommended pressure, not enough could result in less than desireable handling under load, more than called for could result in failure under load. Best of luck. ....

Tire pressure

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-02-22          13089

Check out the Firestone web site. They have tables with all of their tire types and sizes with recommended inflation pressure depending on load. My Kubota came from the dealer with 35 psi, Kubota manual says 20 psi, Firestone says 12. I think I'll go with the tire manufacturer. ....

Link:   Firestone Ag

Tire pressure

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-02-22          13090

Check out the Firestone web site. They have tables with all of their tire types and sizes with recommended inflation pressure depending on load. My Kubota came from the dealer with 35 psi, Kubota manual says 20 psi, Firestone says 12. I think I'll go with the tire manufacturer. ....

Link:   Firestone Ag

Tire pressure

View my Photos
MChalkley

2000-02-23          13120

All tire manfuacturers provide load inflation tables for their tires. The trick is getting hold of them. If you can get the manufacturer's tire data book, it will have all the info you need. A good estimate is to take 65% of the total weight of the tractor including the load in the bucket and the on the three-point hitch and devide it by 2 (tires). This figure will be a little high, especially if some of the total is on the three-point hitch (which it certainly should), but if you inflate the tires enough to handle this amount of weight, it'll safely keep you from overloading the tires. ....

Tire pressure

View my Photos
JonB

2000-03-03          13383

HarryW, I posted a question similar to your's a few months back and got many great replies. I can't repeat the technical explanations about how tire pressure affects traction, compaction of soil, tire wear, etc., but virtually everyone recommended as low of pressure as possible which will vary depending on your tractor weight and implements--which was generally between 12 and 15 PSI for the rear tires, and more for the front tires due to loader weight. I've been running my 4100 with 15 lbs for about a year and will be increasing the front ones when I doing loader work. BTW, the tractor came with this tire pressure from a dealer I respect. Check out the archives of this board and see if you can find the older message thread. Best of luck. JonB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login