Go Bottom Go Bottom

Am I making the right choice John Deere 790

View my Photos
bob komarek
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-20          12989

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this board. I am in the process of opening up a small (2 acre) nursery in florida. I am in need of a tractor to move potting soil onto the potting carts. In the future I may wish to get 15 additional acres under plow. I have looked around and have settled on the John Deere 790. I have been quoted a price of 14,400 for tractor w/loader and no mid pto. Does this seem reasonable? Am I making the right choice? I have never been around farm equipment before. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.Bob

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2000-02-20          12991

You are making a good choice in my opinion. I think the tractor is "tough" enough for what you want to do. You will be suprised at what a tractor of this size will do! I own a 4100, had it for over a year now, and really like it! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-20          12994

It's a good choice. Right now JD is pushing the 790. When compared with what else is out there you've got to wonder if in a couple of years used 790s will be selling for more than the new ones cost now. The 790 is one of the final designs in a very successful model run. Dependable and powerful little tractor. Prices on these vary quite a bit from dealer to dealer, with some real good deals out there.
I've never worked at a nursery, but from what I see when I visit them it sure seems like the right size job for this size of compact tractor. ....

View my Photos
Lanier Crawley

2000-02-20          12995

I bought a 790 last summer and have enjoyed mine although I have not been able to use it very much due to a hip replacement. I think the 790 will please you for the kind of work you will be doing with it. $14,400 is as good or better than most of the quotes that I got but I did find one dealer that was willing to take slightly less than $14000. I also got the loader but no mid PTO.
Good Luck. Lanier

View my Photos
Scott Stewart

2000-02-20          12996

Our southwest Missouri dealer puts the 790 in a package deal. You get the tractor, loader, 5' medium duty JD bushhog and heavy duty 16' tandem axle trailer for $15695. Breaking this down, 790=$10995, model 70 loader=2900, bushhog= ~$600 and trailer=1200. If you visit www.deere.com you can find information on the 90-series tractors (790 & 990). I believe they show an MSRP of $10995. Good luck with your purchase. Besides the JD, we are considering New Holland's BOOMER line. I think it will depend upon the dealer in the end. ....

View my Photos
sam compher

2000-02-22          13043

Got new 790 70 loader 60" mid mount mower ag tires in Oct. $15,750. best buy out there "if" you want a gear drive. ....

View my Photos
bob komarek

2000-02-22          13044

Thanks everyone for the input. It was a big help. I went ahead and purchased the 790 w turf tires, 54" front end loader, bucket leveler and hood guard for 14,440. They are going to deliver it tomorrow. Able to get 12 months financing right now with 0% interest. I will post back in a few days if I have not injured myself (heh heh). Thanks again for the opinions. They really helped.

Bob ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-23          13099

Boy are you going to have fun! I hope it snows a foot for you. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-23          13101

Guess I was in your position not too long ago. From all I've heard, the JD 90 series are well thought of. Should give you good service.

As a sideline note: I seem to recall discussions on on another board which said JD is phasing out the 90 series in favour of the 4000 series. Don't know the source of their information. Not that it makes much difference since tractor manufactures seem to support out of production models indefinitely.

Anyway, enjoy yourself. It's a lot of fun for awhile' When it gets a little less fun, then it starts being real satisfying getting stuff done that you know you couldn't otherwise do.

If you haven't already so, it's a good idea to go through the archives here and on tractorby net and read all the safety and operating discussions. That I'm still here and in one piece is testament to value of having forums like this. Thanks to all the regulars who contribute their knowledge generously and frequently.

View my Photos
LEE STEVENS

2000-03-25          14154

I'm getting a quote of $15,349 for a JD 790 with 90 loader (60") hood guard, turf tires, calcium rear. What do you think? Is he in the ballpark or am I getting @#$%$. I really like the tractor but I am new to this. Any help would be appreciated. I'm learning a lot from you guys. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-25          14160

From past posts and conversations you are in the ballpark. Good luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login