Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
CHRIS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-19          12954

I have a JD 4200 4x4 with hydro trans. When you pick up the 3pt with an implement attached it doesnt want to sit there calmly, it wants to jump or surge about every 10 seconds. Has anyone had a problem with this or can someone tell me what might be wrong.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-02-19          12955

Chris:I have a 4600 and it has done the same as your 4200 since day one. My brother was a Deere mechanic for 19 years and he said it is caused by a bad check valve or o-ring inside the rearend. I had a 970 that never leaked until I changed the hyd.fluid,never did figure that one out. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Jon Eich

2000-02-19          12969

Chris, I have a Kubota but I don't believe it matters when it comes to 3pt operation with position control. Question, do you raise the implement all the way? IE, lever all the way up? A tractor with position control will tend to do what you describe when it is lifted all the way. The implement must be carried at one of the indexed positions other than all the way up, for lack of a better description. You can pull the lever all the way up just to get the implement up fast but you should carry it at a slightly lower position. This is normal for position control equiped tractors. At least it is on mine. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-19          12971

My tractor will surge or lets call it a hiccup at any position with the 3pt. or at any engine rpm. It just seems to me that the system builds pressure to a point where something has to release and it jerks. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-19          12972

My tractor will surge or lets call it a hiccup at any position with the 3pt. or at any engine rpm. It just seems to me that the system builds pressure to a point where something has to release and it jerks. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-21          13002

Jon, this is a new one to me. I have a Kubota (B2710) with position control and I've always carried implements with the lever pulled all the way back and have never had that surging. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Jon Eich

2000-02-21          13005

This is one of the things Steve Carver warned me about when I got my tractor. He mentioned it specifically so that I would not have any unnecessary concerns. I have not experienced it with my 2710 however but with other tractors. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-21          13016

Chris, it sounds like you have a less than perfect pressure release valve on the your 3pth. It may just be that there is some debris there, or that there has been in the past which has scored the valve bore and is causing a leak through the valve. the easiest way to check is to raise the 3pth to full height with some weight on it and shut down the machine that way, measure to a known point on the implement, come back later (a day or two) and measure again to see if it is lowering itself. All things being ok, it should be right where you left it. If not start by changing just the filter, then a few (10-20?) hours later change the fluid & filter. This should get any foreign particles out of the system and (hopefully) fix the problem. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-21          13028

Murf, A day or two later, how about 20 minutes. If I raise the 3pt fully, in 20 minutes its on the ground. So you believe it has something to do with the filter or the valve? ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-21          13034

Chris, I'm not enough mechanic to diagnose your problem; Murf probably knows more about it, but if you leave an implement raised and it lowers to the ground in 20 minutes, I can guarantee you that is not normal. You definitely have something leaking down. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-21          13039

Chris, that's not normal. Most 3pts will stay up all day, but I know that some leakage is allowable as "normal" by all of the factory specs. It'll be in the workshop manual. But its a whole lot less than what you are seeing. The max allowable I've ever seen in a shop manual is around a tenth of an inch/minute measured 24" behind the hitch points with close to 100% of rated load on the hitch. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-02-22          13053

Chris, the check valve is leaking.At the rate that your unit is dropping it is not just dirt in the fluid.I had the same problem on one of my JD tractors and the valve had to be replaced because it was badly scored.The valve seat also had to be cleaned up.It's not brain surgery just time consuming. Get the service manual and study it before you start.Flush all the fluid and replace with new and change the filter as well. The 3 Pt. with attachmennt should stay in any position that you set for days. DAVE!! ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-22          13058

Chris, Roger & Dave have it right on the money, it should stay up for days... Ah to be young again... sorry mind wandered. LOL Seriously though, it is not brain surgery, intimidating yes, complicated maybe, pain the neck, YES. But, you can do it. This folks is why I cannot emphasis enough, maintain your equipment as much as you can, my company policyis you get fined if 'your' unit is not serviced regularly, NOBODY has had a fine in 8 years...it gets done, EVERY drop of fluid leaves EVERY 400 hrs at the most, in 'severe' conditions (dust, mud, etc.) then every 250 hrs. Excessive, maybe, cheap insurance, you bet, in probably 10 years & 100,000 hrs we have never had a 'failure' due to lack of maintenance.Buy the best, treat it like it is, and you will keep it that way for a long time...Best of luck. ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-22          13066

Hey guys my tractor only has 31 hours on it. I think I will let the dealer do the work. Maybe if Im lucky I can get a free hydraulic fluid change out of the deal. Thanks for everyones input on this problem. Chris ....

3 Pt Hydraulics Surging

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-22          13067

Chris, You sure have the right idea; let the dealer do it while it's still under warranty. I had similar problem with my front end loader bleeding down, whether the engine was running or not on my 1995 Kubota, and they first tried replacing the seals in the cylinders and when that did stop it, they replaced the cylinders. Little defects can happen, but if it's going to happen, it's best while it's still in warranty. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login