Advice for Horseowner with Multiple Sclerosis: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Advice for Horseowner with Multiple Sclerosis: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-26-2006, 11:49 Post: 128359
paseneaux

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Advice for Horseowner with Multiple Sclerosis

I have 5 flat acres, 3,600ft. elev., 3 with underground irrigation for horse pasture, small yard, 2 horses. I have limited arm strength expecially with overhead use and the heat quickly saps my leg energy. I need something that has decent steering, need some snow-plowing, scraping of paddocks, scooping poop, mowing, small cart/trailer attachment and manure spreaded.
I'm concerned about changing attachments - just how easy or difficult is this? I am a total novice at any of this tractor stuff, but I do haul around a horse trailer and grew up driving 4W drive trucks. I have gathered information on the NH sub-compacts, the JD 2210, the Massey GC's and Kubota BX23. I just moved to this area, but do have a neighbor who is very tractor savvy and will probably ask him to accompany me when I actually go shopping. He plowed for me this past winter as we had unexpected heavy snows, but he work's part-time and I need to be more independent.I am on a fixed income and will be financing this purchase. JD and NH seem to have good deals right now.In case you are all wondering what the heck this gal is doing with all this and MS--I grew up with horses and riding keeps my leg strenth and balance going...it is a lot of work and time, but the pay-off is worth it. Thank you in advance for all your expertise!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-26-2006, 12:22 Post: 128360
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have an uncle with MS so I am familiar with it's effects on a person. One thing I would seriously look at is using a quick attach setup on the 3pt. That way it's easier to connect 3pt equipment to the tractor. I have a JD 4310 and know what it's like to wrestle implements on and off the tractor.

As for the loader, I can only speak to my experience with the 4310. But it's easy to take on and off with little effort as long as you have a solid place to park the loader. A concrete pad would be best so it doesn't dig into the ground.

04-26-2006, 12:53 Post: 128363
paseneaux

Filter by User

Thanks Iowafun---the concrete pad is a good idea and I'd read about the 3pt. hitch attachment. Thank you.

04-26-2006, 12:57 Post: 128364
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In most cases you can save alot of work in mounting attachments if you can approach them at the correct angle and be able to creep very slowly on the approach. So I would definately recommend a hydrostatic transmission. With a quick attach front end loader you can exchange the bucket for a snow blade quite easily. If you're doing finish mowing, it might be easier to attach a rear mounted mower than it is to attach a mid-mount mower. That is unless you have enough ground clearance to keep the mid mount mower mounted all the time.
Take care and stay as independent as you can.
David

04-26-2006, 15:38 Post: 128370
paseneaux

Filter by User

David-thank you for the advice. If you do leave the mid-mount attached, how much ground clearance do you need?

04-26-2006, 16:29 Post: 128372
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I don't have a mower on my Kubota so I don't know how much clearance they allow. Or if one brand allows more than another. I'm sure others who have them or one of the vendors who frequent the site will come online to give their opinions soon.
David

04-26-2006, 16:36 Post: 128373
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Most will only allow about 6 to 8 inches of clearance in the locked out position.

04-26-2006, 17:18 Post: 128379
hugheswill

Filter by User

I bought a John Deere 3120 and just have 50 hours on it which means its been running for 50 hours. I think it's a great tractor. The I-Match attachments might be a really good thing for you. I don't have them, but the I-Match at least per the advertisements let you avoid having to connect and disconnect the 3-point hitch when you change rear attachments. You will need to make sure all your rear attachments are I-Mathc compatible. It will still be a little hard to connect and reconnect the PTO shaft for any PTO driven implement. I've done that about 3 times, and maybe since my tractor is new, it takes a little work to get on and off. On the front end loader, some of the wiser folks who have are more mechanical and have been doing this longer, don't have a problem with it. I took it off once and had a really hard time getting it on. Some sage advice from some more experienced members was to drop the front bucket, which I do routinely now, and is real easy and doesn't take much strength. On steering I suggest that you get a tractor with dual hydralic pumps, one for steering and one for the other implements, e.g. loader. My 3120 steers real easy. In my opinion, and given you physical condition, I think hydrostatic is the only way to go. At least it is for me. It's as easy as driving a car. For mowing, I think cruise control is real nice too. Best of Luck. P.S. My 10-year old really wants to drive the tractor. He could do it if he weighed more and I wasn't worried about him running through something.

04-26-2006, 17:23 Post: 128380
hugheswill

Filter by User

(continued) newer it is harder to do. On the front end loader, I only took it off once and took the advice of more sage folks and drop the front bucket which is real easy to attach and detach. Try to get a tractor with 2 hydralic pumps. Mine at least steers real easy. Hydrostatic in my view is the way to go. It's like driving a car. Good Luck!

04-26-2006, 17:46 Post: 128381
jimbrown

Ok I read what you want to do. I reccommend a small machine. Bx kubota size. Front loader, rear mower. You can use the FEL for cleaning paddocks maybe moving snow if you do not have a lot od snow and for a lot of other things like moving feed bags, bales of hay, ect. Granted it will be one or two bales at a time but the machine does the lifting. I would not buy any other attachments untill I found I really needed them and was sure the tractor worked for you. I do not actualy clean stalls with mine I put the poop in a wheelbarrow and then push it out of the paddock and dump it in the loader and then move it to where I want it with the FEL. I usually just spread it. The loader works OK for this once you learn how to do it. However if you have a gate big enough to get the tractor through you can use the FEL to scoop right out of the paddocks without shoveling. If you realy need a spreader you will be better off with one that does not use the PTO but is driven by the wheels. Hooking the PTO up could be hard for you. The mower will require the PTO to be hooked up but hopefully it would not be a regular everyday type of thing putting the mower on and off. You would have to take the mower off to use the spreader. I could be wrong but do not think you need anything with the back how on it.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 128359 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 1 | DenisS 2 | hugheswill 4 | Iowafun 3 | jimbrown 1 | kthompson 2 | oneace 1 | paseneaux 5 | shortmagnum 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob