Go Bottom Go Bottom

filings in 4400 HST suction screen

View my Photos
Mike S.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-07          12584

JD changed their minds from what is stated in the manual and now recommend the first transmission fluid change in 4200-4300-4400 tractors with hydrostatic transmissions to occur at 50 hours. When I changed the fluid in my 4400HST and cleaned the suction screen, I noticed about a full teaspoon of metal filings on the screen. Does this seem like a normal amount of metal pieces to be expected to be on the suction screen at the first transmission fluid change???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-07          12586

Mike S, In all honesty, I can't say what's normal for a John Deere, since I don't own one, but that would be about normal for a GOOD tractor like mine (a Kubota) on the first change. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-07          12590

Ooops, I was laughing so hard when I entered that last post that my wife wanted to know what I was doing, and I told her I was starting an argument, and then I stuttered on the ENTER key and posted it twice. At any rate, metal shavings or filings on the "screen" or "strainer" or whatever your tractor manual calls it is apparently normal. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-02-07          12594

B.S.--My two previous Kubotas did not have nearly as many filings in their screens is why I was asking since I am unaware of what is normal for a Deere since I moved up from Kubotas ;-) ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-07          12600

I don't think anyone has ever improved their day by poking around at the residue in a transmission screen. Do you think that they preload those screens at the factory? :-) ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-02-08          12611

When I changed my 755 I had the same filings. I toke them to my JD service. Several mech looked at them (the color means more than the amout most of the time) Since the tractor was used and figured it was along time from last change they told me it was normal wear. ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-08          12613

I just changed out the Hydrostat fluid on my 96 955 with 350 hours (third oil change) and had about a half teaspoon of shavings after pulling out the strainer. My dealer said this was normal also. ....

View my Photos
Mike

2000-02-08          12639

Wow!!!No wonder these Deeres are heavier than most other compacts,lots of extra metal to end up in the trans and hydraulic system....Just kidding. ....

View my Photos
Shawn McCorkle

2000-02-09          12658

Mike S., How were you informed that the recommended time for the first hydraulic fluid change was reduced to 50 hrs.? I've had a 4200HST since March '99 and have not heard a peep about this from John Deere. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-02-09          12661

Shawn--My first information regarding an earlier (than specified in the manual) hydrostatic transmission fluid change came from a posting on this bulletin board several weeks ago. Then when I visited my dealer two weeks ago regarding some warranty issues (front axle change, dash fogging, ETC.), he looked up the DTAC bulletins on them and also mentioned during our conversation that JD had reduced the time for the first transmission fluid change to 50 hours. While I "think" I saw a DTAC bulletin about this issue, I cannot seem to find a copy. If you check with your dealer, I believe that they should be aware of the reduction to 50 hours for the first transmission fluid change. ....

View my Photos
Terry

2000-02-10          12670

Mike thanks for the insite on the hydrostatic trans change, I can't understand why JD or dealers haven't let owners know about this. I personally was planing on doing it sooner than recomended anyway but not that soon, but will now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login