Go Bottom Go Bottom

4200 won t start - need your help

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-05          118985

I bought a 4200 4wd/FEL a few months ago. 900 hours on it and it has run well after changing the fuel and air filters. I was going to move it over to the shop so I could check for problems associated w/gassing from the battery that have been detailed by Randy and others in this forum. I had the throttle about half open and turned the key. It started immediately and ran for about 5 seconds, coughed and died. I tried to start it again and it cranked very slowly and then just the solenoid clicked. I pulled the battery and it was very low on water so I filled it with distilled water and charged it. I put it back in the tractor and now it cranks fine but won't start. The fuses are good and the fuel and air filters have less than 20 hours on them. I've run 3 tanks of fuel though it since I bought it and have used fuel conditioner in each. The PTO is off and the fuel is less than a month old. It has run perfectly up to this point and there is plenty of fuel in the filter bowl. The fuel cut off is open. Forgot to mention it is Hydro.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
country Boy

2005-11-06          118999

Turned the tractor off, pull up on both reverse and forward pedals by hand. Start the tractor. The pedal may not be returning to home positions as in my case ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-06          119001

Most likely you have air in the fuel line, from changing the fuel filter. If the 4200 has a self bleeding fuel system, it may take quite a bit of cranking to get the air out. Don't crank it over 10 or 15 seconds at a time, then give the starter time to cool off before trying again. ....

View my Photos
paulss

2005-11-06          119009

Billy,

I replaced the fuel and air filters when I bought it and have put aproximately 20 hours on it since. I hadn't run it for 2 weeks but it was runing great when I last turned it off. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-06          119025

Sorry, guess I misread your first post. I thought this happened right after changing the fuel filter. ....

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2005-11-07          119081

This same thing happened to me, I also have a 4200 HST.
It would not start right up when hot but would ALWAYS start cold. It ended up being the thermistor located behind the fuse block. (about $4.50 for the part, $10.00 shipping and about 1/2 hour of EASY work for a change.
If you need more details, post back. ....

View my Photos
clitherall

2005-11-08          119135

Check the shut off solenoid on or near the injector pump. When you turn on the key, you should be able to hear and eventually see it move. Shut key off, it should move the other way. Bad solenoid, wire, relay, etc. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login