Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4310 4WD Noise From Front Axel Drive Train

View my Photos
Don H
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-01          118760

Metallic snapping sound coming from front axel or drive train. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions welcome. Is the drive train warranty good for 36 months?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-01          118766

Can you give a little more info. as to exactly when this noise occurs? Such as when turning with 4WD engaged or when disengaging 4WD. Sure would be a big help in aiding us to troubleshoot it. ....

View my Photos

2005-11-01          118769

I'd go looking for the problem before it finds you,, can say $$$$$$ Snapping is most likely dry/broken needle bearings in planetary gears. ....

View my Photos
Don H

2005-11-02          118818

Noise occurs with 4wd drive disengaged and while driving in a straight line and turning. Problem seems to be occurring more frequently. Purchased the tractor new 32 months ago and only has 230 hours on it. ....

View my Photos

2005-11-03          118864

Again, I would suggest that you go looking ASAP otherwise a few hundred$ fix could turn into a few THOUSAND$$ fix! ....

View my Photos
basher

2005-11-03          118867

Does this noise happen when you shift out of MFWD? The MFWD shift cylinder is designed to put constant force on the shift collar. The shift mechanism is not synchronized. The shift collar will only disengage when the splines are lined up. Some noise is normal and might caused by tire pressures that are not in line with what the OM states or if the tires have been changed to tires not recommended by the factory.
The front axle travels 1–5% faster than the rear axle normally when the tractor is equipped with the correct tires that are inflated to the pressures listed in the OM.

View my Photos
basher

2005-11-03          118868

WHOOPS! Forgot to tell you, drive train warranty is 36 months or 2,000 hours, whichever comes first --this includes hydro transmission, transmission case, differential and axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly --DOES NOT INCLUDE: external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or steering cylinders
Please check your owner's manual for full wty statement, Also not covered: failures caused by alteration or modification in ways not approved by John Deere, damage caused by normal wear, lack of reasonable and proper maintenance, failure to follow operating instructions, misuse, lack of proper protection during storage, or accident, racing or competetive activity, normal maintenance and service ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-03          118873

The operator's manual states under "using mechanical front wheel drive (MFWD)

NOTE: On eHydro and ePowrReverser models, a "pop" sound may be heard when MFWD is engaged. This is normal for MFWD operation.

I have also noticed this on rare occasion when disengaging MFWD. To minimize this; I bring the tractor to a full stop and then disengage the MFWD without any pressure on the brakes. Then I may notice the front tires making a very slight lurch forward. You may try this techique and see how it works for you.

You should verify the front axle is properly serviced with oil to the full level if you haven't already done so.

Good luck and hope this is of help. ....

Link:   Using Mechanical Front Wheel Drive (MFWD)

View my Photos
Don H.

2005-11-04          118896

Noise is not occuring when engaging or disenaging the 4WD. Problem seems to be triggered by driving over uneven ground. When the front wheels go over even a slight bump I hear the metallic popping or clicking sound.

Thanks for all the feedback it's greatly appreciated.
I'll be contacting the dealer next week. Looks like I'm in line for some service. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-11-04          118917

Don H. Your comment that the noise occurs when driving on uneven ground makes me wonder if the pivot pin that connects the frame of your tractor to the front axle may be your problem. just a thought. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-11-04          118918

Check your wheel bolts. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2005-11-04          118930

I would check your front wheel lugs. I have seen a loose wheel cause some pretty ominous sounds. If that is not it, call your dealer.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login