Go Bottom Go Bottom

What about Gondola tractors

View my Photos
Ron Miller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-23          118307

I was roaming through a large JD dealership and noticed about 20 used tractors lined up, all were 790's with between 40 and 150 hours each there other models with low hours also but in smaller quantities. I thought WOW! good used tractors, lots of them, low hours, probably cheap.

Then the salesman inside told me that they were new tractors that had been leased out to nursuries (up to 40 tractors per nursery) for a very short time and were returned to the dealer to sell. Any tractor with about 40 hours or less is sold as new, full price, full warranty, and from 40 to approx 150 hours discounted $600.00 and still has full warranty.

This caught me by surprise as who would buy a used tractor with little or no discount. What happens to these tractors? How much do the nurseries pay for these leases? Whats in it for JD besides some exposure. I don't buy tractors every day but this does not make sense.

Also when the factory has incentives to sell such as a $500.00 discount, do all dealers get this to pass on to the customer if they want to.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118309

The salesman is throwing you a line of BS. In my view, I would be going to the dealer with checkbook or cashiers check in hand as well as my truck with the trailer hooked up and ask to speak with the dealer owner or manager. Tell them you are ready to buy and make them an offer of 25% to 30% off MSRP. 40 to 150 hours is a used tractor. The fact that the dealer has so many sitting on their lot unsold speaks volumes. Now is the end of the season and this equipment won't be moving so fast allowing you a good opportunity to strike a good bargain. If they turn their nose up at your offer; just politely get up and walk out. ....

View my Photos
Thedieseldoctor

2005-10-24          118377

I agree with 2ndhandlion all the way!!! That many hours on any tractor should be considered USED!!!! ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-24          118379

If the were "used" by a nursery and returned then they suer as hell are no where near new. I would also be very surprised that they would still have full warranties. All the tractors that were leased from the dealership that I used to work at were used when they came back. Lease return cars are not sold as new. He is blowing smoke so thick I am surprised you could even see him. ....

View my Photos
RMillers

2005-10-24          118395

Another dealer I went to before this one had a JD3320 on the lot with 30 hours on it, just what I was looking for, and had told me about the same thing that it will be sold as new with full warranty and at full price. I had thought this was strange until the second large dealer told me about the same thing then I thought maybe this is the way new tractors are sold.
Thank you all for the support as I guess a person has to get hard nosed when dealing with some sales people.

The local dealer thats very close to my home seems to be giving me a fair deal on a new JD3320 because even if I could get 30% off of MSRP of the used one it would only be about $2500.00 less than a new one, plus I would get 3 years financing at 0% interest and he would throw in a ballast box. My price would be $19950.00 with a 300x FEL and ballast box (no calcium in the tires). ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-25          118400

The local NH/Case/Kobota dealer leases tractors to fish farms and hunting camps. These are discounted heavily off the new price and are snapped up immediately. He is at least 30% off his price which is already discounted off the MSRP. ....

View my Photos
RMillers

2005-10-28          118594

I went back to one of the dealers with the used tractors and they would not or could not come close to the price I got from my local dealer on a NEW one so I bought it new from my local dealer. (see my other post about John Deere verses Kubota) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login