Go Bottom Go Bottom

pto generators

View my Photos
JD2210can
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-08          117551

I live in a rual area and during the past while it seems that we get nocked out alot. so iwas look'n at a pto generator
and suggestions of make and model. any help would be great
Thanks,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pto generators

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-08          117554

Just bear in mind that for every KW you will need a minimum of 2 pto hp. With the 17.7 pto hp of the 2210; that will allow you to run upto and hold a load on 8.85 KW. You may want to consider that in the event of bad weather or other cause of power outage; you may need your tractor for other things such as snow removal or clearing downed trees/limbs, etc. If the tractor is running the generator, it is tied up from use on other tasks. That and running a generator will run up a LOT of hours on the tractor is used for this to any appreciable extent. This kinda runs into the 3 pt. log splitter vs. stand alone powered log splitter issue. Each hour run on your tractor represents a given dollar figure and using it to run the generator will be some expensive electricity as opposed to a standby self contained generator. In my opinion, you may be better off with a propane powered standby generator. A second best choice might be a diesel powered generator and running it off of Jet-A or Kerosene. (Jet-A and Kerosene will store much better than #2 diesel and have MUCH better cold weather use properties. You will have to add a lubrication additive for the pump and injectors but it runs just fine)

For very occasional use, a pto generator may be a good choice as there is no engine or fuel system to maintain with a pto genny. Below is a pto genny that is a bit oversized for your 2210 but as long as you carefully manage the load on the genny; your 2210 should handle it up to is pto hp limit. ....

Link:   11KW Power Take-Off Generator

pto generators

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-08          117555

Here is are some examples of an auto-start standby generator. ....

Link:   Automatice Start Standby Generators

pto generators

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-08          117558

If you lose power often, hooking up the generator each time will get old quickly. We lose power every 2 weeks or so and getting the tractor out and hooking a pto generator up every time would drive me nuts. Usually it will happen in the dark, or in the rain, or in the snow and ice after you have dressed down for the day. To make matters worse the power would likely come back on as soon as you get it hooked up. We have a standby generator and I wouldn't have it any other way. ....

pto generators

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-08          117560

Bought a PTO gen over 2 years ago. I have needed to use it 1 time for about 4 hours, During the summer. A transformer blew. Wife had a big run of embroidery to do.

I bought a Tiger brand for $2000. If I need to have power I really do not care about how many hours it might need to run. Like wise I'm not gonna run one 24/7 in case of a major outage. Hours are hours wether on a gen engine or a tractor. I can always unhook the hour meter if I was concerned. I would like to get a small breifcase size one to run woodstove fans at night, if it's winter.

I do drag it out 2 times a year just to exercise it. An hour of welding with heavy amps is enough, me thinks.

In the event you do need tractor to do something else it does not hurt to leave the house with out power for a few hours.

My heating oil tank stays full so I have plenty of fresh fuel for tractor in the event of a major outage. If it"s a major event I'm not leaving house anyway and roads would probably be impassable.

pto generators

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-08          117567

Deere makes the perfect gen-set for your tractor, and it comes complete with all the mounting attachments. ....

Link:   

Click Here

pto generators

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-08          117568

THE REASON WHY THERE IS NATURAL GAS OR PROPANE FUEL FOR GENERATORS IS THAT EITHER FUEL CAN BE BASICLY STORED FOR- EVER WITH OUT DEGRADEING UNLIKE GAS OR EVEN DIESEL.
THE FUEL DOESNT FREEZE AND WILL START IN SUBZERO WEATHER. ....

pto generators

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-08          117572

That's just GLORIOUS. Wish I did not live in the country so I could try some of that natural gas you city boys have!

Guess I'll have to have a gas company set me up a propane tank so I'll have fuel just in case.

Or should I plan on using the little tanks? How may of those do I need for a week or so on a gen set? ....

pto generators

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-08          117573

I think I would get as large a tank as is possible. Say 1,500 gallon so you can buy in large quantity if and when the price drops down. That and you would have a large amount of fuel to run the generator if power were out for an extended period. Natural gas and propane powered engines do not require oil changes near as much as conventional engines as the fuel burns so clean, the oil does not get fouled nearly as fast. ....

pto generators

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-08          117574

I figure about 2 gallons/hour on our LP 15kw Gillette generator at a 75% load. We use propane for our water heater, dryer, cooktop, and BBQ grill and had a 1000 gallon tank installed. During an outage there is hot water, power and easy ways to cook. It was cheaper filling that tank a few years ago when it was 85 cents/gallon. Last time it was $2.15 and it's probably higher now. ....

pto generators

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-08          117583

If you are going to have a generator, you might also consider a shotgun and maybe a sidearm too.

Having the only lights on in a couple of square miles during an emergency has a tendency to attract, ah..., vermin(?). ....

pto generators

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-09          117600

Now that is the best reason for having a dedicated permenant hook up I have heard. I can envision a extended outage with the neighbors asking for help with their freezers etc with the mobile unit.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login