Go Bottom Go Bottom

What are your getting ready for winter tractor To-Dos

View my Photos
jdgreg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-28          117050

Besides the usual oil/fluid servicing, I was curious what everyone else does? One thing I found last night, was to check your battery connections. My little voice told me to check it out, and sure enough, the connectors were crusted over pretty bad. A little water/baking soda solution, wire brush, sand paper, di-electric grease, all is good now. One less thing to worry about when the white stuff starts falling.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-28          117057

Some people put in diesel additives. I just get some warm clothes, boots, hat with muffs and gloves ready. If you are pushing snow in large open areas like me, it gets really cold from the wind. You may want to consider a cheapy cab like I have or if you have the money, look at a full cab. Mine atleast makes the unbearable, bearable. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-28          117058

I've got a Curtis Soft-Sided cab on the way, should be here the next week or so. Tired of freezing the twins off, decided to do something about. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-28          117060

Sounds like you're set to go! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-28          117064

If you haven't done so already; I would suggest also removing the battery and inspecting the sheet metal undernieth as well as the trans. oil cooler radiator. It is a very well known and prevailent problem that the battery out gases and causes sometimes serious corrosion in these areas. If not caught in time; this can lead to the premature replacement of the trans. oil cooler radiator and/or some damage to the sheetmetal floor panel the battery sets on. If you do find corrosion damage; carefully inspect the trans. oil cooler and floor panel & clean up/touch up paint as required. If the trans. oil cooler is leaking any oil from this area; it will have to be replaced. When I checked mine; I found serious corrosion in both areas but was not beyond cleaning up and repainting. I treated this entire area with baking soda solution as well to neutralize any possible remaining corrosive material that might be remaining.

A good remedy for this (credit to Ken aka Kwschumm) a battery vent modification which is simply a set of the 1 piece battery caps with a piece of clear vinyl hose zip tied to the vent tube outlet which is routed to vent the battery gases undernieth the tractor as opposed to venting gases in on top of the battery and into the radiator compartment.

I soaked both of my battery terminals in a solution of hot water and as much baking soda as I could mix into solution. I found that using a wire brush tends to spatter corrosive material all over. If the terminals are allowed to soak in the baking soda solution until ALL of the fizzing stops; I have found the terminals come out just as clean and the baking soda solution migrates up into the battery cable to prevent corrosion of the cable as well.

I then reassemble and spray coat the battery terminals and any exposed lead/wire with a corrosion preventative coating such as Bo Shield. A corrosion prevention measure I learned from my days in aviation. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-28          117076

Once again, thanks for the excellent info. I used the hose to wash all the soda and deposits away, didnt notice any corrosion on the base plate, but will pull the battery soon to make sure of the plate and tranny cooler.

Where could one find the one piece caps you mentioned? This is the same setup older motorcycles used to have, before sealed batteries were the norm. I guess I just dated myself. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-28          117077

I called my Deere dealer parts manager. (he is a friend) He looked through the old turned in batteries and found me some one piece battery caps and UPS's them to me. No charge. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-28          117078

The JD dealer can probably get you one of the caps. See my pic 18 for what they look like. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-28          117079

Got it. Will these fit other batteries, or just the Strongbox? I have an aftermarket battery, replaced by previous owner. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-28          117080

Besides the fluids and battery stuff already mentioned, I shuffle the stuff around in my shop once the snow has stopped flying to make it easy to get to the equipment I need.

I also move the tractor to it's ready position at the garage door for snow removal vs the back for grass cutting. Meaning I also lower the rops and install the rear blade. I also go through and angle/level the rear blade when sitting on the concrete so all I have to do is start her up when there is snow. Beats doing all that at 4 am because I didn't do it earlier. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-09-28          117085

jdgreg, I'm sure the caps will fit some other batteries but not all. You'd have to try it to be sure. The JD dealer may just give you one. Mine did. Sure worth a try if it's free. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-29          117108

I also put a Curtis soft side on order. Hard time deciding between the hard and soft, but decided the extra grand wasn't worth it. I may change my mind halfway throught he winter, but this is a good start. I can always change out the doors and back window if the soft side doesnt do the job.

I always change the hydro fluid and filters before winter. Condensation from summer use can cause problems in the winter on control valves and reliefs. I wait until late October, then change all the fluids and filters. Also a good time to change the fuel filer.

Besides that, drop the loader and install the plow frame, and wait for the snow to fly. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-29          117119

One thing I forgot to mention that I like to do is to add a quick connect for a battery tender/maintenance unit. It can be a period of time between last summer/fall use and actual snow. So the battery can run down a bit. A battery tender with quick connects can make a big difference especially when starting on those oh so cold winter mornings. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login