Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 battery

View my Photos
Andy_H
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-09          116140

Had my battery go south on me today, less than two years from new, and need to get a replacement. Was wondering what would be a good replacement battery, thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4310 battery

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-09          116143

These machines have a tendency to outgas during operation and the gas can be drawn through the radiator and oil cooler and cause corrosion. When mine goes I'm getting an Optima battery. The stock battery is a group 22NF IIRC, and I understand Optima has a battery that is close to that size with the correct terminal orientation. The issue will be whether it mounts the same or something would have to be fabricated. Maybe 2ndHandLion will chime in, he may know. ....

4310 battery

View my Photos
Andy_H

2005-09-09          116158

Thanks for the response , optima is a great battery, i would have to see about the mounting for that group size, but it would not be a problem to change, as long as the battery fit behind the grill. As for the corrosion problem, I noticed after a pressure wash that paint on the battery hold down and the frame was missing and rusted, but not the oil cooler. Took it down to the dealer and showed them, and was told that was minor compared to the other style battery that would gas so bad that it would eat the oil cooler very fast and would leak fluid all over your lawn. Asked about a fix for my battery,(the 6 cell cap with hose,) and was told that was the old fix and that I already had the updated battery with the screw caps. I don't understand why these batteries gas out so bad, when it used 99% of the time during the day, what could be such a big draw on the electrical system. ....

4310 battery

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-10          116162

I have held off buying an Optima battery so far as my OEM battery has held up. I modified my battery as did Ken with the 2 piece battery caps vented into a vent tube which is vented below the tractor. I have not been shopping lately for a battery but as I recall, the Optima battery was not an optimium fit size wise. Perhaps they have a model battery that will fit now. Otherwise, I would suggest obtaining the 2 piece battery caps and routing a battery vent hose as Ken and I did. Mine has been working fine. In view of the added cost of an Optima battery, and the fact that the current Optima batteries do not have the OEM specified cranking amps; you may want to look into making this mod. It is a very low cost mod and allows you to make the choice of a best price standard type battery. I have spoken with a few retailers of these Optima batteries and they have verified that they do not have adequate cranking power for this application. ....

4310 battery

View my Photos
MiikeJD

2005-09-10          116180

I just had to replace my battery yesterday.
The battery had a 3 year warranty on it and it went bad in 2 years.. The dealer told me that they have changed the battery and it should not cause any coorsion problems in the future. ....

4310 battery

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-10          116182

If the replacement battery is a lead acid battery; I would strongly recommend either making this modification with the battery caps and a vent tube or FREQUENTLY checking the battery for outgassing acid into the trans oil cooler and radiator. A sealed battery should not cause any problems. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login