Go Bottom Go Bottom

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
micdelbo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-30          114134

I used this forum to get advice on my tractor purchase a year ago and appreciated the advice.

I bought a JD 4115 with 140 hours on it and love it. It has a FEL, and mmm.

I have used it extensively for a year only having to replace the battery.

I went out to start it today and noticed a large puddle of hydraulic fluid on the mower and floor. The source is one of the fittings going into the power steering assy. There are four fittings which are extremely close together and it looks like you have to remove 2 of them to get to the others. The problem is to remove the 2 rear most fittings, which run to the steering cylinder, you have to remove the 2 front most fittings, one of which is the feed from the rearend and the other which runs to the pump. The one coming from the rearend is leaking at the compression fitting in front of the steering assy.

It looks like I need a crows foot socket to loosen the inner 2 fittings, and that will be a "very" tight fit.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I believe the compression fitting is possibly cracked, otherwise why the sudden leak.

Any input on how to disassemble or other info. is appreciated.

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-02          114235

I checked my shop manual. It has great pictures but no advice on specific tools or techniques or removing the fittings. ....

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
micdelbo

2005-08-02          114259

I got it off with a 3/4" crow foot wrench. The steel line is fine, the fitting is fine, but it leaks like crazy. I believe the steel line and brazed nut on the line are where my problem lies.

From JD they want $150 for the line complete. That's just plain nuts. I will heat and remove the nut brazed onto the steel tubing, cut and install a short right angle with extension with hydraulic hose and should be good to go for around $30-$50.

Leave you know how I make out.

Oh yeah, third repair on this JD with only 180 hrs.

Mike ....

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-02          114271

That is about what I have on my 4115, and it has been flawless so far. Now the backhoe? That is a different issue. ....

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-08-06          114457

DRankin,

having problems with the Backhoe?

Duc ....

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-06          114458

It is just sloppy. Very sloppy. It drives me nuts.

I will probably end up pulling the thing apart again and either shimming the main horizontal pivot or paying the bucks to have a machine shop line-bore it for an over-sized pin.

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
jd4115invt

2005-09-11          116215

What's happened is the hydraulic line has split under the compression fitting at the power steering end. This is a known problem with the 4115's. Happened 4 times to me!

There's a fix from JD -- the hydraulic line has to be replaced and modified so it isn't bolted to the frame.

In normal use, the power steering pump moves a little and this cracks the line over time. In my case it happened after about 60 hours of use, about half of which was mowing time. ....

4115 power steering leak

View my Photos
cuttingedge

2005-11-06          118990

I just had my 3rd line replaced yesterday.

Deere knows there is a problem.
They say not to bolt the little tab that comes on the new line, but to use a "P" clamp fix. The problem is, the "P" clamp fix doesn't line up to bolt anywhere.

After my first one broke, in May, the 2nd one broke 2 weeks later. Then we just didn't clamp the 2nd line anywhere.
It lasted until now (november), but cracked again, in the same spot you mentioned.

My problem seemed to start, when I put a spinner knob on. My Deere mechanic is very good, and is waiting to hear back from Deere on it. It seems the gear box must flex just a bit, and over time (2 weeks, or 4 months) it wears at that line, causing it to crack.

Deere needs to come up with a rubber line, that can flex with the gearbox.... but I guess they are making money on us continuing to buy that steel line, so why would they give us a fix.

I work for a Deere dealer, and I do commercial lawn care.
And they wonder why I just bought a Gravely.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login