Go Bottom Go Bottom

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-20          112563

I have a JD 2210 and want to get a Landscape Rake for lawn project I'm beginning. My unit is 48 inches wide but I'm thinking that the rake should be wider - say 60 inches. Am I thinking right?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-20          112567

I think 60 would be about right. About the same amount of whatever you're raking will dribble off the ends of the rake no matter the width of the unit, so being a bit wider means you keep more of what your raking. I was amazed at how well a rake will movw loose soil or crushed rock around, it almost replaces a rear blade in loose conditions. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-20          112573

I didn't do the math, but I'm confident that 60" is NOT too wide for a 48" track. You want it wide enough so that your tire tracks are still covered when the rake is angled at full index. An 84" gauge wheel rake behind my 66.5" wide KM454 does that nicely.

//greg// ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-06-20          112575

bmeyer,

I have a 48" York rake on my 2210 (only because it is what I had). It works fine (raking gravel, sand, and topsoil) but if I were purchasing one today, it would be whatever width covered the tracks when angled.

Cheers ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-20          112578

I have an 84 inch rake on my JD4310 - the bigger (within reason) the better. In addition to covering the tracks, I find the extra weight seems to be perfect for keeping the rake at the right depth. It doesn't dig into existing lawn but grabs and distributes the loose stuff just about right. It does a nice job of integrating the new with the old. ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-06-21          112611

Seriously consider guage wheels as well. Yes it adds to the cost of the rake, but makes the rake so much more versitile. The 2210 dosent have position control, so you will need something to help the tines glide or skim the surface. Otherwise it will be too aggressive and dig in and probably do more harm than good...

Ducati ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-06-21          112622

Thanks for the advice! Today I got prices on a couple of units. They couldn't be more different!

The Woods Dealer quoted me $640 on at 6 foot rake (in stock) and another $285 for the wheels. About $15 bucks less for a 5 foot rake (one week to delivery).

The Deere dealer (Frontier) has a 6 foot rake on site that is last year's model (I don't think they age do they??) for $440 and wheels at $199. He did not have a 5 foot version on site but his book said they run $1130 - no that's not a typo!! A 6 foot model he says now goes for $1340.

Will someone please explain to me how there can be that much variance in pricing from one year to the next. I know steel is up but up 300%!

Am I missing something? I feel like I should rush over and buy the 6 footer (even though I want the five foot model). It seems like I could sell it at half what they want and make a profit enough to buy the Woods five footer.

Is this a case of "It's too good to be true"??

I'm a newbie at all this stuff, but it makes no sense to me. ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bvance

2005-06-21          112627

I have a BX2230 and I just recently bought a Land Pride 60 inch landscape rake and love it. You need a 60" to cover your wheel tracks when the rake is on angle. I paid $500 for it.

My rake is made especially for the BX model or Sub CUTS because of the limited lift on the Cat 1 3pt hitch. My rake has 12 inch teeth. I almost bought the bigger rake which has 16" teeth because I'm one that bigger is always better :) but glad I didn't. Any bigger and the rake would always drag even in full lift mode. And going thru any kind of dip would be impossible. I was also concerned that the smaller model wouldn't be heavy enough to move the material that I wanted to. Not a problem. Just lengthen your top link a bit and it will dig in all you want or need.

It's great for smoothing, moving material and raking out rocks.

Good Luck! ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bvance

2005-06-21          112628

I have a BX2230 and I just recently bought a Land Pride 60 inch landscape rake and love it. You need a 60" to cover your wheel tracks when the rake is on angle. I paid $500 for it.

My rake is made especially for the BX model or Sub CUTS because of the limited lift on the Cat 1 3pt hitch. My rake has 12 inch teeth. I almost bought the bigger rake which has 16" teeth because I'm one that bigger is always better :) but glad I didn't. Any bigger and the rake would always drag even in full lift mode. And going thru any kind of dip would be impossible. I was also concerned that the smaller model wouldn't be heavy enough to move the material that I wanted to. Not a problem. Just lengthen your top link a bit and it will dig in all you want or need.

It's great for smoothing, moving material and raking out rocks.

Good Luck! ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-06-22          112649

bmeyer,

You can look at this link for Corriher (advertiser here -see ad)

http://www.corimpco.com/rakes.asp

I have one of theirs and its very heavy duty, along with the wheels. Considerably less that what you were quoted...
Just a helpful tip...

Ducati

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-06-22          112657

Ducatti - Thanks for the tip. Do you know if the unit is I-Match compatable for my JD 2210? It looks like a nice unit

I've got a local dealer finding me a 60" JD/Frontier unit from another of his dealerships. He'll have it in on Friday for a look see. It is still at last year's pricing of $450.

Thanks for your help. ....

Landscape Rake

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-06-25          112742

Thanks all. I bought a 60 JD rake on Friday. Had to pay $470 but I got what I wanted. Thanks for all the advice - it was helpful.

B. Meyer ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login