Go Bottom Go Bottom

hillside and dtractor size plus pics

View my Photos
rogermo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-27          111606

Ok here we go please look at the link below and tell me if my yard is to hilly to go sidewase I do not know how to figure out the angle and a picture might help.

all so go to the top of the link page and click on john_deere_baby to see what eles I use the tractor for. I am wanting to step up to a 3120 or 3320 but not sure if its worth the money. Please take some time and check and let me know whay you all think. Every one here always have great input.

Roger

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-05-28          111621

Personally, based on that photo I would have absolutely no problem going sideways on that hill with that machine. If it was really wet, my only concern would be tearing the turf a little. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-28          111623

Agreed. Around here that's not even a big bump

//greg// ....

View my Photos
runslikeadeere

2005-06-08          112058

Go for it, Roger. You just haven't gotten brave enough yet... The feeling is normal, I still remember the first time I mowed a sidehill with my 790. My grooming mower follows in a track a little lower on the hill than the tractor, but that is not a problem.

Take care,
Stephen ....

View my Photos
Mike1819
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-08          112059

Does anyone by chance have some pictures of what you guys consider too steep a slope to drive across?
This is something I'm still trying to get a grasp on also. I know that if it feels unsafe, then it probly is but, I'm not for sure at this point what is really unsafe and what is just the funny feeling of inexperience. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-08          112067

Roger, nice looking machine and place you have there. The slope in the picture does not appear to be beyond reason to cut as you ask. With the tractor equipped as shown in the picture. With the FEL installed, the CQ of the tractor will be raised higher so be sure to have adequated ballast weight installed. Just take the slope cutting slow and easy and don't exceed what the SOPTM says is comfortable.

What DOES jump out and grab my attention is that in nearly EVERY single other picture of you or other operators of the tractor are operating it with a FEL and the ROPS folded down. What makes the situation even worse is that the tractor appears to be potentially improperly ballasted for the FEL. This makes the tractor potentially dangerous in that the rear of the tractor could flip or raise up off the ground and cause or contribute to the tractor rolling on its side in some situations. Your rear tires may or may not be fluid filled but this in most cases is not enough ballast weight. Review your FEL manual for ballast requirements. Deere I think goes a bit overboard with the amount of weight in my opinion but it will give you a good idea of what is required.

I kept my tractor in a garage that required folding the ROPS to park it inside and I had a few close calls forgetting to lower it BEFORE I tried to park it inside. I finally got into the habit of always checking it before hand. Do yourself and any other operators of your tractor a BIG service and insist the ROPS be fully extended and pinned as well as the seatbelts be worn. It can be a little in convienient at times but the life you save may be your own.

Anyhow, enjoy your machine and be safe. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-08          112074

It's not really practical to look at a picture of a hill and say whether it's too steep or not. Safety depends on the machine, how it's equipped, configured and ballasted, whether the terrain is smooth or rocky or rough or hard or soft, and what the center of gravity is at any given instant in time. The CG can change very quickly if one tire drops in a hole or climbs up on a rock. My dealer came out to walk our property and gave me recommendations. Yours might as well. One piece of advice, follow your manufacturers ballasting requirements to maximize safety. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-08          112082

I don't have any issue with your hill for sidehilling. My hill is steaper and I've sidehilled it. I'd say mine is borderline and I'm more comfortable going up and down verses sidehilling.

I also picked up on the lack of the use of the ROPS. Man, I'd hate to hear you had a bad accident that could have been safer had the ROPS been up. My shop door is too low to have my ROPS up on my 4310. So I use the back door in summer which has enough clearance. Winter is another story.

Also, my ROPS is a flaming POS for how Deere built it. The holes are completely misaligned and require a hammer, punch and lots of grease to remove or install the pins to fold it up or down. So if yours is like mine, I can understand why you leave it down. I need to buy a large drill bit and ream out my holes so I can use the ROPS quickly and easily like it's supposed to be. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-06-08          112087

My Kubota B7610 ROPS can be aligned so that it threads easily. However getting it in the right spot can be a challenge. The trick is to take a permanent marker and draw a line after it is attached so that all you have to do is match up the lines and you are set.

On the Deere if the holes are the wrong size that is another issue. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-09          112127

Dennis, on the Deere ROPS, you have 4 holes that line up. The pivots, then the hole in the fixed lower section and two holes on each side of the upper on each side of the tractor. So my counting of holes is off...

Anyway, the holes on the lower fixed section do not align with the uppers. Meaning I can get a pin part way through, but not all the way through as it's on an angle. Maybe I should take a photo. But it's clear they used a bad jig, didn't use a jig at all, or some other screw up. I don't know if others have the same problem or not. ....

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-06-09          112150

yes you are right the rops were down, I now keep them up when cutting my town property the river camp is flat with a lot of trees. If I do loader work etc I put them up and I wear the belt too. Good eye.

What do you all think of steeping up to the 3320 from the 4110 I am looking for more ump for plowing snow, box blade and buck work look at the camp photos I have on pbase. Oh yes I want to push over dead stumps and someday buy a backhow pocket book permits someday.
thanks guys for the feedback.
roger ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors hillside and dtractor size plus pics

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-09          112153

These little tractors aren't bulldozers. Pushing or ramming a big stump is a good way to blow out loader hydraulic cylinders and possibly do some major damage. Stump removal with a CUT requires digging it out and tearing through the roots. Small stumps may be no problem, but they can be deceiving too. Sorry, I don't know enough about the 3320 to have an opinion. A trip to the dealer to check 'em out is in order I think. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login