Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-25          111499

I bought a new 4310 loaded with everything in 2003. When it was new I had an intermittent problem. When I stepped on the hydro pedals it wouldn't move. The dealer said they reprogrammed the computer. Does this make sense?

Now the problem is back and the dealer doesn't want to hear about it. It's dangerous when it happens at the wrong time. Is this a common problem?

Another problem I have had since new is the dash glass has some kind of spray on the inside that clouds up when hot. It looks like JD sprayed it with something before assembly because when it gets cloudy it looks like it's dripping (or running) upwards. The dealer was supposed to order me new glass. I kept calling them and they never got it. The dealer has a new owner and supposedly lost the records. Now I'm screwed.

That's why I bought the new Kubota ZG23 zero turn mower from another dealer. The problems with that are posted under the Kubota section.

I liked the reliability of my old JD1050 better.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-25          111503

I also bought my 4310 in 2003, just came off warranty in March. I had thought I was having problems with pedals and tractor not moving but, after posting in this forum, I am now convinced I was usually either off balance in my seat or I accidentally pressed both pedals simultaneously. It still may happen on rare occasion but it is not often enough to be a problem. The tractor always moves on the second attempt.

I have had no problem with the glass, but I keep the tractor garaged most of the time. My only (minor) complaint with my 4310 hydro is that it creeps on hills when stopped without using brake. I have to use the parking brake which requires a big kick to fully engage (which my wife can't do) to keep it perfectly stationary.

Overall I am extremely happy with this tractor so far. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-25          111511

IIRC the hesitancy has been mentioned here before, but not in a very long time. You might try searching the archives. My 4310 is always garaged and also has a fogged instrument glass. JD knows about this problem and has a kit to fix it. It's covered under warranty, but it sounds like your dealer is a big problem. Bad dealers can make life miserable and expensive. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-25          111512

After hitting send on the last post I recalled that one fix for ehydro hesitancy was to recalibrate the pedals to the transmission servos. If you don't get satisfaction with your dealer you might try respectfully escalating to the JD rep. It sounds like you were caught in the middle of a dealer issue. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-25          111516

Thanks for the info. I'll get over to the JD dealer with my serial number and see if they intend to fix the problems or not.

As far as dealers and manufacturers I think I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire by buying an orange zero turn mower rather than a green one. ;-) ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-05-25          111538

Looks like the foggy glass issue is perhaps a carry over from the JD4300 days, mine does it too and I have had it out and dried it with a hair dryer till it was toasty warm and should have had no water in it. Its always garaged as well and never sees wet weather. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-26          111543

Mine isn't a water problem. It's something that JD sprayed on the inside of the glass... probably a defogging compound. It only appears when the tractor is hot. My 4310 has never been kept outside. I don't even think it's been out in anything other than light rain. Although it does do a lot of snow removal here south of Buffalo in the winter. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-26          111563

I mentioned fogging of the instrument glass on my machine but you're right, it's sort of like a blueish gray film that is definitely visible when hot. There's no visible liquid condensation. The dealer is coming out sometime in the next week or two to fix. I'll post back on what is discovered. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-26          111575

The dealer was in the area today and stopped by to fix the fogged instrument glass on my 4310. It took him about half an hour. He said the problem isn't one of condensation, but rather the gray film that shows up in hot weather. The fix is installation of a new instrument lense with a different anti-fog coating inside the glass. He said they have to be careful not to touch the inside of the glass during installation or the coating is ruined. What did they do in the old days with no coatings? Oh, I remember. The instruments were always full of condensation! ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-29          111682

My 4300 does that foggy crap too and here I thought it was my problem with too much humidity, but none of my older stuff ever does it. Now I know it is like all the other glitches, an American lack of R&D like usual. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-01          111805

mc2crazy,

When the hesitation ocurrs, watch the malfunction light on the right fender (as you are sitting on the tractor). Does the malfunction light flash? If so note the flash code and look up the malfunction or ask your dealer what the flash code means. It could be something as simple as a speed sensor or other system sensor. It could also be a problem with the controller. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-06-01          111810

Thanks for the tip. I never noticed a light coming on. Would it be on the control console? It would be nice to find out what the cause of this is. It happens so rarely, but I would still like to have it repaired. Do you know if trouble codes are stored? ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-01          111820

If you mean the the controls on the fender by control console; yes. My Deere shop manual is still all packed up from the movers and I don't have access to it but I think the codes may be stored in the controller. Not sure about that. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-06-01          111837

Now that I think about it one of the console lights flashed yesterday for a few seconds when I was going to mow. Who looks over that way unless you're doing something? ;-)
I went to look in my service manual which I always buy and found out I never received one, only a parts manual. I didn't see anything in the operator's manual about trouble codes. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-01          111840

If you notice the flash code pattern post it here and I can look it up for you in the technical manual. ....

4310 hydro won t move

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-06-01          111844

OK, now that I realize I never received the service manual I'm going back to the dealer again. They changed ownership recently to a company that bought out all of the John Deere dealers in the area except one. They said they lost my records. The dash fogging up and the intermittent not moving problem should be easy for them to fix... I hope. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login