Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ideas on Mounting a 2 Receiver to Drawbar

View my Photos
cj2002b
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-23          111384

Anyone have any ideas on a good way to mount a 2" receiver tube to a drawbar (JD4400). I could just weld it, but would like to make if removeable so I can use the drawbar as it is.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-23          111388

If you go to website badriverinc.com you can view pictures of one and touch on the 3D drawing to get a parts blowup! ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-23          111392

AND..... It is a great product with a very fair price. I have one in my pics outfitted as rear ballast. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-23          111409

I will also vouch for the quality of the bad river hitch. Well designed, well built and the company will quickly answer any questions before and after the sale. ....

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-05-23          111418

Is there a reason you want it on the drawbar and not the 3point?

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-05-24          111449

I bought a Bad River Hitch as well (see pics). I'm very pleased. Easy on and off. Pricing was very fair I felt. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-05-24          111452

I have made a few different adapters for my drawbar. A piece of 1"x2" tube fits in the drawbar mount perfectly. Drill the hitch pin hole in the 1"x2" tube and weld the receiver socket on, or any other kind of hitch. Walmart or TSC has reciever sockets. Should be able to do the whole thing for uinder $40. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-24          111458

"Is there a reason you want it on the draw bar and not the 3point?"

Sounds like this one is for me......

The terms can get confusing. The tractor has a draw bar, sometimes called a swinging draw bar and it is the best place to draw or tow really heavy loads. It is a trailer hitch and it is about all you got with really old tractors.

Then along came three point hitches, and a even later came a drawbar... or a place to pull from... for the 3 point.

The Bad River Hitch bolts to a 3 pt. draw bar so it moves up and down with the hitch, and then attach's to the tractor/frame mounted draw bar with a stout chain to make it super-safe to use.

My ballast weights are on the 3 pt. draw bar along with the Bad River Hitch and they raise and lower with the hitch.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-24          111461

If you use a hitch on the 3-point you definitely need to limit the vertical travel so the towed load doesn't flip up on you. Remember that the 3-point floats upward. The Bad River hitch comes with a chain limiter that attaches to the swinging drawbar. My pics show how their chain limiter hooks up. ....

View my Photos
cj2002b

2005-05-26          111580

Thanks for all the input guys.

Basically what I'm looking to do is mount the receiver tube to the fixed tractor drawbar. My rationale behind this was I'm looking to move some heavy loads with this. My primary concern is towing a roller set-up that I made by taking the nose wheel off of an old asphalt roller and welding a 10' long tongue on it. I have no idea what it even weighs, but I'm guessing in the 3-4 ton range (tongue weight is only 250 lbs. or so) I've always towed it behind a dump truck to roll my 3/4 mi driveway, but wanted to use the tractor for greater manueverability.

I think I'm going to try beagle's approach, so I ordered some receivers from Northern Tool (cheaper than TSC). I was even thinking about making a mount plate for the front. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login