JD4100 Smoke: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD4100 Smoke: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 11120
Larry

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JD4100 Smoke

I have a JD4100. It started great during the summer and early fall. Now that winter is approaching it barely starts at temps 30 deg. and below. It smokes excessively and only hits on one or two cylinders for the first minute. After a 1 min. warmup it works fine. I called the dealership (which I am not at all happy with) today to see if this was normal. Natuarlly it is normal according to the dealer. I have tried buying fuel from several different sources with no noticable difference. Does anyone else have a JD4100 with a smoking problem??

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

12-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 11128
Bill

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Larry, The only time which I experienced anything similar to this was when I had a few glow plugs out on my deisel truck. This caused the same type response, but I am not sure if JD uses this system, as I have a New Holland. Since it is extreamly difficult to start, if it uses glow plugs, the whole glow plug system may be on the blink. Should start relatively easily down to about 0 F. Can't immagine JD systems are that bad. Get it fixed at another dealer, cuz you will load the oil with raw fuel and soot very quickly running even only for a minute the way you describe. Doesn't sound right. Second opinions are cheap by phone. Bill

12-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 11146
Roger L.

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

You've got some glow plugs not working. There are aftermarket suppliers for most glow plugs who make one just as good or better for a whole lot less money....don't know about the JD4000's, but it is worth a look.

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11154
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Hope I'm not talking out of context here, or stating the obvious but Diesel's do smoke in the winter. Even my computer controlled 24v Cummins smokes, and the colder it gets the more it'll smoke. Keep in mind, that engine is completely computer controlled, right down to how much fuel is fed, based on things like temperature, load, air density, ect... Unlike our 4100's which are purely mechanical (to my knowledge). As far as running on one cylinder, you need to check a few things. First, how does your fuel filter look? If its black, most likely ya got the "Moisture Fungus". FYI: this is one reason I dislike Dyed Fuel. Don't think a fresh tank of fuel will cure this problem. Best thing to do is flush and drain everything. Secondly, setting the throttle a hair above idle, before shutting the unit down really helps at your next start-up. And lastly, as others mentioned, may want to check into the glow plugs or heater grid. I kinda thought Glow plugs were being replaced by heater grids??...
Never doubt the effects of a partialy blocked filter. Unlike gasoline filters, A big drop in temperature might be enought to thicken the fuel enought to present this problem...

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11155
Larry

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the glow plugs. If they are bad JD can replace them, still under warranty.

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11163
Scott

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Larry - Just as a point of reference, I also have a 4100, and with the cold weather, it will smoke a little more upon start-up, but quickly warms up and runs fine. MLS mentions shutting it down at just above idle to aid in later start-up, and that's what I do also and have had no problems. MLS, after starting, do you then back it down a bit to idle, or just let it warm-up at the current throttle setting? Thanks.

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11167
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Scott,
I keep it at that setting. A few times, I set it back to idle after start-up and it seemed to idle really,really rough. Having it throttled up (ever so slightly) seems to make it start better, and run smoother until its warm. Secondly I have always "felt" that it adds a bit of additional oil pressure to the pump, to get things moving around quicker. To Each his own I guess..

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11172
Larry

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Thanks for the suggestions MLS. I had already checked them all. In fact the air filter replacement was when I had the misfortune of finding the most impolite parts person in JD history. I finally located the glow plugs but they are difficult to get at. To add to my misery I noticed that one of the plastic tabs that hold the front grill in place is broken. I'll let it cool down again and try cycling the glow plugs a few times before the next start to see if that helps. For the guy looking for a 318 mower deck, try clicking on the classifieds link at the top left of the home page.

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11174
Jack in IL

Filter by User
 JD4100-Smoke

Just curious. Do you turn the key on part way to the Run position and then watch the oil pressure light? While the glow plugs are on the light will be dim and then it brightens after about 3 - 4 seconds when you can start cranking the engine. There is no glow plug light on a 4100.

12-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 11190
David

JD4100-Smoke

Starting diesels in cold weather in general will always produce more smoke and vibration than starting in warm weather. 1/2 to 3/4 wide open throttle will also assist in starting mechanically injected diesels as the throttle position will inject additional fuel in the cylinder and make it easier to start. once the engine starts return the throttle to about 1/4 to warm up the engine. This is sort like the choke in a gas engine, excess fuel with cold temp makes for easier starting. Many older IH engines had a start postion on the throttle and would not start cold unless this postion was used. This start position threw lots of excess fuel to the cylinder for cold weather starting. Many IH engines smoke at idle even hot, but clean up once under load and run up to speed. You may have a bad glow plug in your JD. I always know when I have a bad glow plug in ny 6.9L Navistar in a Ford truck. It is a little harder to start and will blow white smoke for 15-30 seconds won't do it if all the glow plugs are working. All in all diesel smoke on a cold engine is fairly normal.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 11120 Filter by Poster:
Bill 4 | David 1 | Jack in IL 2 | JonB 1 | Larry 6 | MichaelSnyder 3 | Roger L. 3 | Scott 2 | Scott S 1 | Scott S. 1 | Steve 1 | tom 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob