Go Bottom Go Bottom

What size tiller for new 790 tractor

View my Photos
mech3atgsk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-14          109855

I just purchased a new 790 tractor with 27hp gross and 24 PTO hp. I need some help with the size of tiller to use. I looked at the John Deere web site and they recommend a 55 to 65 inch. Anyone with the new 790 that has a tiller please help. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-16          109910

If you have clay go for the smaller width tiller. Lighter soils will easily allow you the larger widths. When looking for tillers look at the blades for size in both thickness and width. The width is a killer for making them less productive and harder to get into the ground and they often are of less quality steel then the smaller higher tensile used on some tillers. The fellows with the larger blades normally say they will last longer but that's not the case from what we have seen. Also look for the type of offset, some just move the hitch and the better ones move the gear box which adds a lot to the life of the machine. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-16          109911

If you have clay go for the smaller width tiller. Lighter soils will easily allow you the larger widths. When looking for tillers look at the blades for size in both thickness and width. The width is a killer for making them less productive and harder to get into the ground and they often are of less quality steel then the smaller higher tensile used on some tillers. The fellows with the larger blades normally say they will last longer but that's not the case from what we have seen. Also look for the type of offset, some just move the hitch and the better ones move the gear box which adds a lot to the life of the machine. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-04-16          109919

CCM has Gear Drive Tillers designed for your tractor from 70" down. CCM ships nationwide. ....

Link:   CCM Gear Drive Tillers

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors What size tiller for new 790 tractor

View my Photos
nick72126

2005-04-16          109920

I have a 48" King Kutter II from tractor Supply. Works great and priced right $1,095 plus tax. Tills great and is off-set so no tire marks. Have put in 5 gardens this spring! You do have to shorten the PTO shaft but if you follow the guidelines and own a hack saw its easy. ....

View my Photos
mech3atgsk

2005-04-16          109928

Thank you for the recommendation. It will be a great help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login