Wheel Weights or Everything About Air Compressors Oil vs Air based: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Wheel Weights or Everything About Air Compressors Oil vs Air based: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 10956
Larry

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Wheel Weights or Everything About Air Compressors Oil vs Air based

I have a JD4100 with 410 loader. I have the ballast box attached filled with sand. The manual says that I need 6 rear wheel weights in addition to the ballast box, at least that is how I read it. I plan on using the loader to remove snow for the winter and thought that the rear wheel weights would be enough ballast without the ballast box. The ballast box extends beyond the 3 pt. and is not desireable for tight spaces. I asked the dealership about buying wheel weights and they said they are 60 pounds each, don't recommend more than two per axle, and cost $95 each! I think the dealer or the manual made a mistake about how many weights you need on each wheel or maybe they are talking about different size wheel weights. Even if I could afford it, I refuse to spend $400 or $600 for wheel weights. Does anyone know what the cost of having the tires filled with liquid would be? Will the constant weight of liquid filled tires cause lawn damage? With wheel weights I can install and uninstall them as needed but liquid filled tires are there year around.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10971
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Larry,
I think the dealer misunderstood something. The manual does recommend 6 weights@60lbs a piece. I also think the quoted price was incorrect. I have 1 set installed 100% of the time. 1/2 our yard is one big hill, in which the weights add stability and actually lessen turf damage due to wheel spin. Kinda hard to believe considering we are only talking about 120lbs. I will also admit using the 410 loader without the rear ballast(also filled with sand), But only for carrying things like trimmed branches and such. This situation is where you really notice the extra 120lbs. Because I've also done this without em. If you look strictly at cost, I doubt you could justify cast weight vs liquid, on the other hand, you lose the ability to adjust the weight of your tractor. Personally, I'm not a fan of liquid in the tires. OMO, forget the idea of NOT using the ballast box.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10977
Scott

Larry - I also have the 4100 with 410 loader. I use the JD ballast box with about 420 lbs. of weight in it; that plus the weight of the box brings it close to 500 lbs. So far that's been working good for me. I didn't go with the wheel weights because I mow with the tractor too and it's heavy enough already for that. So far I've moved around quite a bit of dirt and have had no problems with the ballast. Looking at the manual JD has, I too wonder if they made a mistake on the table that describes the needed balance because it seems excessive. HOWEVER, I'm a rookie at tractor ownership, so I'd like to hear some input on this issue of more experienced 4XXX owners. As for now, I'm just very cautious when using the loader.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10981
Larry

Filter by User

Thanks MLS. Wouldn't 6 weights at 60 lbs each be 360 lbs? Maybe I missed understood what you were saying. In any event would you be kind enough to tell me how much you paid for your weights??? I don't like the idea of liquid filled tires either.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10984
Larry

Filter by User

OOOOPPS! Sorry MLS, I did not read your first post right. Now I know what you were saying about the 120 lbs. Thanks to Scott for his post too. I would just use the ballast box but I think the wheel weights add to stability and IMHO using 6 of them should be more than adequate for a bucket full of snow on a 4100.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10992
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Scott,
The manu'f recommendation for 6 wheel weights or liquid in the tires, PLUS (X) lbs of weight in the ballast box is most likely due to the fact that they must allow for "every" user, thus a certain % margin of safety is factored in. I personally cannot say that I've ever needed 6 weights, plus ballast, but I'm sure some guy, somewhere does...
Larry,
Gotta remember to check what I paid. I'll let you know.

12-26-1999, 00:00 Post: 11461
Greg

I have owned a 4100 for 15 months with a 410 loader & really love it. The only
ballast I use is liquid in the tires, per my dealers suggestion after I griped
about price of ballast box and wheel weights. The tractor has been used to replace several tons of dirt and sand on a piece of waterfront property I own due to the hurricanes here in Eastern NC, granted when I really load the bucket it can get a little light in the rear, but for the most part it has worked fine. Please keep in mind that ground I use the tractor on is very level. I also use it to cut @ 2 acres of grass and the only time it has ever scuffed is in 4wd in a very tight turn. I have really enjoyed reading the info. on this site as this is the first real tractor I've owned personally.
Thanks guys, GH

12-26-1999, 00:00 Post: 11463
Scott S.

Filter by User

Regards ballast vs. liquid-filled tires, for what it's worth, my 4100 recently had a rear-wheel flat (wish I knew why - couldn't find or duplicate problem) and I'm glad I didn't opt for the liquid filled tires. It would have complicated repair and made more of a mess, I would think. As it is, I had to jack the tractor up, remove the wheel and bring it to an garage to have it fixed. Needless to say, come Monday I'm getting a compressor of my very own! As to why it went flat in the first place, maybe someone out there can give some insight...

12-26-1999, 00:00 Post: 11466
bo

Filter by User

Scott == did it ever occur to you to ask the garage that fixed it why it went flat? bo

12-26-1999, 00:00 Post: 11469
Scott S.

Filter by User

Hi Bo - Yeah, I asked the garage guy that very question, of course. He had no clue. He looked the whole thing over carefully and found nothing out-of-sorts. He filled it and did a water check for leaks - nothing. I've reinstalled it and checked pressure since (one week and counting) - no problems. Prior to the flat, the tractor had not been used. Parked on flat ground. I'm in New Hampshire, so there's been some pretty large temperature fluctuations, with the low hitting about 5 deg. F. All opinions welcome...Scott

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 10956 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | bo 7 | FRED G. 1 | Greg 1 | Jack in IL 1 | Larry 3 | Mark A. Holt 1 | MichaelSnyder 2 | RobertN 1 | Ron Brauer 1 | Scott 1 | Scott S. 5 | Steve in Buffalo 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob