Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2210 for small business

View my Photos
danl1202
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-31          109202

New member with a question. I currently own a JD318 for mowing and snowblowing. I am very close to purchasing a JD2210 for a small tractor business. I plan to offer rototilling, drive way grading and top soil/mulch work for small home owners with 1 to 5 acres of land. The 2210 should offer a light footprint and not leave tracks in a residental area. What do you other tractor owner think? Is the 2210 enough tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109230

You are mainly talking of grading work and to go just a little bigger you can still maintain the compactness and have more traction from larger tires and a higher lift height for removal of debris. Time is money! A little more spent now means more work done in less time. A small dump trailer would haul it as well. ....

View my Photos
kickapoobd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109234

I think the 2210 is perfect for the application you are describing. The 2210 is an amazing tractor with a lot of punch. The people that say that you need a bigger tractor would purchase a 9020 series if their pocket book would allow. Go do a test drive, you’ll probably save some money in the long run. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-04-01          109238

I've owned a 2210 for 9 months. It's a wonderful machine. Small but powerful. It handled the snow well this winter and I was able to run it over my "spring thaw" lawn yesterday without leaving a lasting mark. The 210 FEL does everything I need it to do - and more. The Box Blade works great!

The smaller footprint and lower center of gravity helped me decide between on the 2210 over the 4115 (plus $5000 difference in price). I have a hillside and members here counseled me about stability. It was good advice.

I, too, am looking at a small tilling side business. I'm looking at the Frontier and Woods tillers 50" range. Reports are very postive on the tractor's ability to handle the job. ....

View my Photos
danl1202

2005-04-01          109256

Thanks to all for the advice. I really am impressed with the 2210. As far as grading is concerned, I should have been more specific. I live in an residental area with many homes on 1 to 10 acre lots, many with stone driveways. The Vermont winters and summer rains wash out many of them. Most of the large excavating companies are to busy to do drive ways. Would you use a box scraper, rear blade or york rake? I guess it may depend on the condition of the drive way.

Danl

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-04-01          109259

From my viewpoint, I would have to agree with Art and suggest going a little larger. I think atleast in the 4010,4110 or 4115 series, time is money and being able to do jobs faster/easier would seem to be a consideration for a small business. ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-04-01          109268

I would also side with the “go a little bigger” group. I have 2.5 acres, and although my 2210 does everything I need it to do currently. If I had more land, or was going to using it commercially, I would want at least the 4110 or 4115. ....

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-04-01          109285

Just a thought from a green owner and I mean green not the the color. I had two jd in the past 335, 455 with bucket etc. then I bought my 4110. Now maybe I will never be happy but I could of used a 4115. I just have a small city lot hilly and a river camp. But I always have friends that want odd jobs done gravel graden etc. Heck I even just the other day dumped 7 tons of grave in a basement celler door to lay down gravel in a dirt basment. My point is buy 10% to 20% (maybe 30) higher hp of what you think you need and go for it. We only pass through this way once. They tell me you can not take it with you (money) but I am going out on my JD 4110.

For what it is worth.

you guys are great here.

Roger ....

View my Photos
chevytruck13

2005-04-01          109287

I think the 2210 would be a great starter tractor for a small business. I don't know if you plan on doing this as a lively hood or just a sideling. First you can get the 2210 for probably $3k less than the 4010. For that money you aren't running any bigger equipment than the 2210. If you start getting swamped with work that you could use a little more tractor you will usually come out trading in as long as you go bigger. They will give you good value for the 2210 and some of the attachments will probably fit the larger machine. My business theory is start with the smallest capital investment possible and move up as the business grows. There is nothing worse than trying to make a big equipment payment when things are lean at the beginning. ....

View my Photos
danl1202

2005-04-02          109318

Thanks to all for the great advice. I guess once again I should have provide more info. I work full time with about ten years left of the hard 8 to 5 stuff. With one child off to college and the other very close, I have more time on my hands. So I thought I upgrade to a 2210 and offer tractor services on the side. Closer to retirement I could see the benefits a larger tractor, but for now I will start small.

Danl

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-04-02          109323

At a rate of around 1.30 per hour for each 1000.00 spent on the machine, you should be able to figure what you can do with what machine and compare it to other machines larger or smaller, work to dollar hour comparison. Which one would you hire at what price? You need to define what you are going to do, mow,hoe, bucket work,till, and compare work done to dollar hour also. You might take two hours to till a certian garden at 27.00 when a larger machine can till it in 1 hour, deeper and more thorough at 40 per hour.Can a machine your looking at take this kind of use, what will be the repair cost compared to the other? If you are going to narrow your work down to a couple of chores like tilling, can you till a garden for someone in an area that has not been sod busted before? If you are going to narrow your job description, don't get a machine that will narrow it even further by saying, no I can't till that because it is very hard rocky ground or my tiller only cuts so deep. No I can't grade your driveway because it is too dry and hard now, should have called me during the first week after rain season. Just things to think about. As my father said, always buy the best, you'll never be sorry. Not always the biggest, but the best for the job.I hired a JD 790 with a tiller to break up a field that I was going to remove the top soil from and build a house. He compained about how rocky it was and hard on his tiller. I noticed when cutting the soil off that the tiller didn't cut very deep and I also notice that when I was removing the soil, in places 2.5 feet deep, that I could cut it right off and load my bucket full with just pushing power, there where very few small rocks, mostly garden loam. A larger machine would have tilled it much deeper,faster, and never felt a rock.It was about as nice tilling as you could get for untouched field. ....

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-04-03          109332

I don't think going small is a bad thing. If it is not enough size/power, you will be able to recoupe most of your money. On the rare occaision when I have seen a used 2210 for sale, it sale price is usually very close to what was paid. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login