Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power-Beyond unused leftover banjo hydraulic lines

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-15          108032

I have been trying to find banjo hydraulic fittings for a hydraulic project on my JD790 and after weeks of searching have concluded that you cannot get SAE-8 braze-on banjo fittings anywhere in the US. Sweeping statement that, I know but that comes after looking at all the major and smaller manufacturers, and many many distributors all over the country. This is the standard hydraulic fitting on a JD790 and many other smaller tractors.

I have found one manufacturer in India and am trying to communicate with them about buying some of these, but have had little success as yet.

So, I got to thinking that someone out here may have leftover lines from installing a power-beyond or other kit on their JD tractor. These fittings take a 3/4 inch diameter hollow-through-bolt (SAE-8, 3/4" x 16tpi), and are brazed onto steel tubing that is just under 1/2 inch OD.

I will be happy to pay something for these if anyone has any excess lines that they are willing to part with.

I will try to post some pics of these shortly, and maybe an autocad drawing I've made as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-15          108034

Okay, four pics posted, an open line showing the banjo fittings, an autocad rendering of one of these fittings, the same line installed, and a banjo hollow-through-bolt.

Please email me at

tomrscott at sterlink dot net

if you have any of these parts that you would be willing to part with.

Thanks very much!!! ....

View my Photos
havoctec
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-15          108048

Maybe I'm missing something but can't you just order them through your JD dealer?

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-15          108051

No, I wouldn't say you are missing something, I'd say JD is.

No, you can't buy the fittings from JD. All you can buy is the complete hydraulic lines, and since those are a rare replacement item, they are quite spendy. It works out to be about $40 per fitting if you buy a new line (even the shortest one) just for the fittings. Before I will pay that, I will probably fabricate them.

Perhaps I wasn't clear that all I am interested in is the fittings because I want to make up new hard lines for some new hydraulics I'm adding to my 790.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-03-15          108057

Could you ask one of the mechanics at your or any dealer to call you when they do some work on tractors where this kind of fitting gets replaced, might be worth a few beers? ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-15          108059

Yeah, actually I am doing that, but it is sort of open-ended, hit or miss.

I don't need very many of these.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
havoctec
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-15          108061

No, I wouldn't say you are missing something, I'd say JD is.

That does not surprise me.

Do you know if JD or some other manufaturer used banjo fittings on thier older model ag. tractors? If so, you may be able to find them at a salvage yard. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2005-03-15          108062

I have one. Email me or use the private msg thing under my profile and we can figure out how to get it to you.
Brian ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-15          108068

bmlekki,

Thanks very much! I have sent a PM email to you with contact info.

Depending on how many fittings that line has (1 or 2) I may have the minimum I need for this job, assuming I tear the existing lines up first. Looking ahead, I would kind of like to get 4 more fittings if I can find that many.

Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-15          108069

I spoke to two more large JD service shops today to see if they had any scrap banjo lines laying around, but as I suspected, they just toss them and it is a pretty rare thing.

Nobody could ever remember a line failing, so the only time they see them is when they are adding a power-beyond, and then they just toss the extra lines.

They only do one of those for a 7xx / 9xx very rarely. So the odds of getting lucky with them are pretty remote, but I left a card with a request in case something comes along. ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2005-03-16          108133

HI
When I was adding power beyond to my JD 870 I tried just like you did. I had no luck either. But one of the hydralic
shops had me bring in a valve so I did we found out that a standard 7/8 o ring fits and if you look close you will see a slight bevel where the oring seat berfore the banjo washer you don need the banjo at all just the 7/8 oring fitting. I did my intire
power beyond with 7/8 oring fitting without any leaks. I do know there fitting at shops to go Hard line after. the 7/8 oring.This will work for you. I you are interested I could post pictures. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-16          108135

bmocad,

Actually it isn't a 7/8 O-ring fitting, but an SAE-8 (3/4' x 16tpi). And yes I actually have purchased some SAE-8 O-ring fittings from Parker Hannefin, but there is not enough clearance around some of the ports to be able to spin in a standard ELL fitting. Some of these I could use a straight coupling and then bend tubing, but in each case those cause compromises for where I want to route the tubing. In one case, there is no way to get another fitting in at all. A banjo is the only thing that will fit. Also on my Prince LVT valve, all three supply ports (P, PB, T) are lined up right next to each other, begging for a Union-ELL like a banjo. Again I could use two ELLs on the ends and a straight coupling in the middle, or three straight couplings, but the result is that the tubing juts out where it is more likely to get damaged and a banjo would lay down much more nicely.

Yeah I could make it work with a mixture of compromises, but I would sure prefer to use banjos. As I've said before, if all else fails and I need some more, I will just have to make some. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-03-22          108552

Well unless someone out there pops-up who has found a few laying around, looks like I am going to have to make some banjo fittings on the lathe. I will still take all I can get as it will save me a lot of lathe time, but I went ahead today and bought a chunk of steel 3/4" X 2" by two feet long to fabricate some banjos from.

Felt good to support the local steel shop; family owned for two generations (Newberg Steel, Newberg Oregon). Real nice people, and it looks like their business is doing well despite the skyrocketing steel prices. They've expanded the shop with a lot of tools and welding gear, as well as some pre-fabricated parts for making trailers (axles, fenders, hitches, lighting, plans, etc.). I am always pleased to see a small family business thriving. Last thing I bought from them, several years ago, was a heavy pipe for a regulation basketball backstop support (5"OD, 1/4" wall, 16' long), and I hardly recognized the place this time. Now that I've got a new welder and plasma cutter, I'm sure I'll be giving them more business, and I was just thrilled to see them doing so well.

The final straw, deciding to fab the banjos, was that I decided I want to make a special one with two tubing ports rotated 90 degrees apart for the low pressure "return to tank" line. It will save making up a braze TEE, and will actually make the plumbing layout a bit nicer. Not very much extra work to do once I'm making a regular one.

I will try to remember to take some pictures of the process and post them for anyone interested. Several four jaw chuck tool setups, and a boring-bar bit-holder for the inside bore. Getting a spherical profile on the body is an imperfect process on a hand-lathe (compared to a CNC), two non-linear functions on two separate hand cranks at the same time, but with a little care it can be good enough. I may get lazy and just do a diagonal chamfer.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login