Go Bottom Go Bottom

Howdy and a few questions

View my Photos
Cappy_TX
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-26          106865

I'm new to this board. We recently built a home on 132 acres in Ivanhoe, TX where my wife and I have retired to. We have two yellow Labs and are serious field trial folks and duck hunters. We've had three ponds ranging from 2 to 7 acres excavated on the property for use in dawg training and duck hunting during season.

I'm 63 and have never operated a tractor before but after research have pretty much decided on a JD 790 for our small ranch needs which consist of grading roads, moving dirt around in creating and maintaining ponds, planting waterfowl attractants, mowing 5 acres or less right around the house, and general chores. The rest of the property will be leased out in hay production. We do run around the ranch in a Kawasaki Mule 4WD ATV.

I've gotten a quote of $15,800 for the 790 4WD w/PS and w/SCV, a 419 loader, a LX5 rotary cutter and a Frontier 2060 box blade. The special incentives expire from Deere on Monday so I'm looking for opinions/advice quickly.

Should I get the PHD200 post hole digger for $650 now or wait until there's a real need for it and pay a few hundred dollars more then? Same with an SS 1023 spreader for $435 now or $550 when I have to have it? For my minimal mowing needs (5 acres or less), is a 6 ft mower a waste of an extra $150 over the 5'?

Thanks for your input ...

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2005-02-26          106868

Well monday does not give you much time, but incentives usually come back again later, and the dealer if he is good may be able to back date the order if you wait. Having never operated a tractor before, you should really demo several models on your property, not in the dealers lot. Make sure you try a hydrostatic model as well as the gear model you are looking at. It is a free way to not regret your expensive purchase. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-02-26          106873

I have a '03 4410 with a 6' (72") mid-mount mower and would never want to go back to the gear drive I had prior to the hydro. If the primary use is mowing, followed by grading and other things, make sure you try a hydro tranny. JD best features for the $$$ is probably the 4310...and due to the new 3000 series, you could get one for a reasonable price. What about a loader...daily uses for that. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106877

The 790 is a nearly bullet proof but somewhat dated design. I personally could not own one because the is not enough operator space for my ex-large frame.

Make sure you can push all the pedals without dumping the loader and that your can turn in the seat to watch what the rear implements are doing without compromising any controls.

Like my bro above I have gone through the gear phase and I am quite happy with my HST.

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-26          106888

I would echo Marks sentiments here. For 132 acres, I would strongly suggest you take a look at the Deere 990 which is basically a scaled up version of the 790 with 40 hp. The 990 is every bit as realiable and bullet proof as the 790 for not much more money and will offer the ability to expand out into more hp intensive implements such as an MX6 rotary cutter. Demo both and see what you think. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-27          106901

Hydro is the only way to go! ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-27          106918

With five acres to mow, I would want as large a mower as would comfortably work, Hours on a mower add up no matter how much you like to do it. Welcome, lots of nice and informed guys and gals here.. JohnJ ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-27          106920

Jwngei
I see in your bio you have a Mahindra.
How do you like it?any problems?
Where is it made, engine?.

View my Photos
Chief

2005-02-27          106924

I own a John Deere 4410 eHydro and can attest to the niceites of eHydro but I got the impression you were more interested is a basic realiable low cost tractor. This description definitely describes Kioti tractors. You should also take a look at these. You could get into a 35 hp or perhaps more Kioti tractor for the price of a Deere 790 or 990. Both brands are SOLID machines. I am managing a considerable acreage and have my eye on the Kioti DK65C. In any case, just wanted to give you a few ideas to consider. Here is a link to a dealer that may be in your state area. ....

Link:   Kioti Pricing

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-27          106926

I have a Mahindra 2015 hydro that I really like. It is made in Japan by Mitsubitsi. I have worked it hard moving dirt and some big rocks I didn't think it would. I have had 2 o-rings go out on the joystick and it came from the factory with a bent lift arm, factory defect, but all were fixed immediately.. Great tractor, gread dealer, lots of fun... I would highly reccommend one.. now 40 hours on mine..JohnJ ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-02-27          106928

Thanks
I was checking them out, seem to be well made, looking at
them. ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-27          106929

Grinder, the 15 series have been around for a while, as Case IH. in early 90's, and as Cub Cadets for a while after, am not sure how long, at least till last couple of years. so it is tried and true model..JohnJ ....

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-27          106936

Cappy TX,

First, congrats on your retirement! May it be the best stage/stages of your life! I'm sure you are thinking of here's my budget, and now what do I do...and while I can appreciate that, I would encourage you to look at things a bit differently. What I'm referring to, is, what functions, features are important to you? Have you spent any seat time in them? Hydro transmissions have been mentioned -- they are worth knowing about and having had some thought given to them. Also, that is a nice sized spread you have, is there any possibility of having to branch out to other parts of your real estate? Then lastly, there is the dealer angle -- who do you most feel comfortable working with and what do they recommend? That last question might trump everything else!

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

View my Photos
Cappy_TX

2005-02-28          106995

Well ... I took delivery of the 790 4WD diesel today to beat the incentives deadline. I ran it around for half an hour or so on the property just to get a feel for it. As I said in my initial post, I've never operated a tractor before but I've spent quite a few hours in my younger years at the wheel of a forklift with tilt mast and side shif, so it's not completely foreign to me. I'll post some photos as I get some astual work done. Thanks to everyone for the input.

By the way, The JD dealer here had one 4310 in stock and no 4410s which I was considering. I'm told that they are discontinued and replaced by the 300 series.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/NevadaJim/Johndeere2.jpg[/IMG] ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login