Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 Rear Wheel Lug Nuts Loosening

View my Photos
LabGirl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-25          104916

Hello All,

My 4310 does a great job with snow removal and for the most part has been a pleasure to own. Yesterday, on the way home from helping a neighbor move some snow off the banks, I felt a wiggle from the rear wheel. As I looked down the lug nuts were coming off! Apparently this has been happening for a bit and the wheel is now slightly egg shaped. When we went to the dealer, they made a comment about the thickness of the paint on the wheel well. Havent' had good luck with them since the beginning unfortunately.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem in this line of tractors?

Thanks!
LabGirl

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-25          104918

Should check the torque on the wheels fairly often. The manual will tell you how often. I have seen 3 1 ton duellys with the rear wheels off and in the road in the past few weeks. One GMC and 2 Fords. I wonder if it isn't the extreme cold? All plow trucks, maybe the constant forward reverse changes? ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-25          104919

I STRONGLY recomend that you have the axle flanges carefully inspected too as they are most likely damaged/worn egg shapeds as well. They may need to be replaced or you may be able to have them helicoiled. The wheel must be repaired as well. You should check your lugs visually each time you use the machine and check them with a known accurate torque wrench periodically. The manual states after the first hour during break in and every 10 hours or daily. This is VERY important to do. The fix can be VERY expensive is some cases. ....

View my Photos
taildragger

2005-01-25          104925

Hi 2ndHandLion,

This is my first post and I aplogize if I don't have the protocal/forum down right or if this is OT for this thread. I just bought a Kubota L245 DT, have never driven a tractor before and don't even know which pedals do what :) I have read in another section that you might have a PDF manual for the L245 and I would REALLY appreciate any sharing of such information. I need to learn fast!

Sorry for any intrusion and I look forward to many future discussions.

mike j

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-25          104928

taildragger, check your email. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-26          104949

It has been a long standing problem with JD. If you do a search, try 4300 or 4400 models. One suggestion is to paint a line(nail polish would work) across the bolt and onto the wheel a little. Then a visual check would let you know if it is loosening. My 4300 has so far escaped this problem. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-01-28          105129

Thanks for bringing this problem up. I haven't checked my nuts since (I really want to insert a bad pun here...) I bought my 4310. As soon as I'm over this flu that hit me last night, I'll go check them.

The paint line on the nut to the hub is a trick I've used in the past to see if bolts or nuts are loosening up. It does work if you actually look at them. But if you've had a problem, you will likely be anal about checking it.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-28          105137

They loosen up for a few reasons, compression of new paint and bolt stretching among them. JD isn't alone with this. The bolt torque needs to be checked on any new tractor or other vehicle periodically when new. ....

View my Photos
LabGirl

2005-01-29          105154

We will definitely be checking these on a more regular basis from now on. THe machine only has about 80 hours on it but early on had a rear seal leak that was returned to the dealership for repair. Because of our poor experience with this dealer and numerous stories about how others in our area have had problems, we wondered if they failed to tighten the nuts up properly. The nail polish is a great idea.

Thanks!
LabGirl ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-29          105173

LabGirl, your last post puts a TOTALLY different light on this issue. If the dealer was the last to work on this machine and they removed the wheel and did not properly torque it and make note of it in the work order; you have a strong case to make the dealer repair the damage. I would be diplomatic and low key about it when approaching the dealer and they may step up to the plate and repair your tractor no charge. This is all provided that you have not exceeded the number of hours between when the dealer reinstalled the wheels and the next torque check is required. In any case, good luck with it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login