Are Compact JDs still Yanmars?: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Are Compact JDs still Yanmars?: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-27-1999, 00:00 Post: 10413
Roger L.

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Are Compact JDs still Yanmars?

I'm curious just when JD started making their own compact tractors. I am pretty sure that the 650 thru 1650 series which came out in the early 1980's were 100% Yanmars painted green. In fact, those John Deeres sure looked like they were identical to Yanmar's retired product line from the late 1960s and 1970s. Then came models like the 755 and the 770...Were these also Yanmars with slight modifications to suit John Deere? If so, that might explain why they are so reliable. What about the current series? The 4000 series? I know that they have a Yanmar engine, how about the rest of the tractor? Roger L.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

11-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 10415
lsheaffer

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Are-Compact-JDs-still-Yanmars?

I had a journalist from Chicago interview me for an article on compact tractors. He told me he had asked Deere that question & was told 30% were made by Yanmar & the rest were assembled by Deere (Yanmar components?). NH is doing the same thing . Made(assembled) in the US, but imported components.

11-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 10416
Roger L.

Filter by User

Hmmm...is this 30% for the new 4000 series or when did it start? I have a picture somewhere in my literature collection of some of the 650 thru 1050 series JD compacts being painted green at the Yanmar factory. They are obviously a completely assembled tractor at that time (about 1984). I guess this has changed.
Maybe the 30% pre-assembled requirement is part of some sort of trade agreement? I also wonder - as you do - if the remaining 70% can all be supplied by Yanmar? Sort of like a kit? Or maybe JD is both designing and building some part of the tractor. If so, my guess would be the transmission and rolling/braking/steering gear, since the engine says Yanmar right on it.

11-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 10420
David

Filter by User

JD compacts the XX50 and XX70 series were made in Japan by Yanmar and are very similar to some Yanmar models. There were modifications to the original Yanmar models to bring them up to JD specs. Differences being in the areas of PTO drive, hydraulics, and electrical system. These tractors were built on the same assembly line as the Yanmars and we have pictures of red and green tractors on the assembly line at the same time. The new JD compact series XX90 are also built in Japan by Yanmar. The 4XXX series compacts are built (assembled) in a JD plant near Augusta, GA. These tractors use a Yanmar engine and other parts from Yanmar but are assembled in the states. Yanmar is currently building a new engine plant outside of Atlanta ... This is about 2 hours from Augusta and was announced at about the same time JD announced an expansion of their Augusta plant. Yanmar also has a transmission factory in the US that makes transmissions and parts for compact tractors and riding lawn mowers. The plant is operated by Tufftorque who is owned by Kanzaki, Kanzaki is owned by Yanmar. Lets see...It seems most of the important parts in the JD 4XXX series compacts are built by Yanmar. That makes them Yanmars in my book, with that all important high dollar green paint all over them. Like I tell my customers the only difference between a Yanmar and a JD compact is the paint and the price.

11-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 10430
Mike S.

Filter by User

It is my belief that David is misleading his customers in regard to the 4x00 series of JD compact diesel tractors when he tells them "Like I tell my customers the only difference between a Yanmar and a JD compact is the paint and the price." From what I have read and heard regarding the JD 4x00 series, the 4100 is basically a Yanmar, but the other members of this series were ENGINEERED and built by John Deere, even though JD may use Yanmar engines and some other Yanmar components in their manufacture. My JD955 probably was a Yanmar under the skin (which in no way offends me), but I do not believe that is the case with my 4400. Perhaps a JD dealer could give us a definitive answer that will substantiate my belief that, contrary to David's statements to his customers, that there are significantly more differences between a Yanmar and my 4400 than mere paint and price. (This in no way is a putdown to Yanmars--I previously owned one that was painted red, so I am aware of their quality.) IF I am mistaken, I prefer my crow BBQ'd.
Mike S.

11-28-1999, 00:00 Post: 10432
Brent

I believe Mike S. is correct. The 4200 and up are JD engineered tractors that use a Yanmar engine, but the 4100 is still a pure import Japanese tractor. If you read the back cover of the 4000 brochure it says something like "the 4200, 4300, 4400 are proundly made in the USA", but does not say anything about the 4100.

11-29-1999, 00:00 Post: 10433
ARK

It is my understanding that the 4100 is still made in Japan by Yanmar. The other 4000 series in question are assembled in the USA with Yanmar engines and Yanmar produced transmissions and drive axles (probally made in US factory mentioned above).

11-29-1999, 00:00 Post: 10437
David

Filter by User

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, but what I was really talking about were the XX50, XX70, XX90 series JD being Yanmars with the only difference being paint and the price. I stand by that statement and anyone who has ever set an 850 JD side by side with a Yanmar knows what I am talking about. As for the larger 4XXX series tractors I am sure there was engineering work done on them in this country, but the guts of the tractor is still all Yanmar.

11-29-1999, 00:00 Post: 10438
RBinNC

The transmission on my 4300 has a plate from Funk Manufacturing, in Kansas.
The engine is of course, a Yanmar.

11-29-1999, 00:00 Post: 10444
Jeff Kraft

Filter by User

In a attempt to put this issue to bed, this is what I know being a John Deere dealer. The older John Deere X50's were Yanmar tractors with John Deere engineering modifications no exact model was sold in the Yanmar line. The Next series the X70's were the same. However the X55's were not they were a John Deere engineered tractor top to bottom with the design using alot of yanmar sub components. This is why you see some of this design in other John Deere equipment ie the F1145 uses about the same tranmission as the 855. Now the 4XXX's series the 4100 is a Yanmar tractor but instead of John Deere making modifications to the design the have the tractor shipped over just short of completion to Augusta were it is completed. The 4200's-X are John Deere tractors built and designed by John Deere with as far as I know the engine is yanmars only contribution. The design of the tractor is modular so some of the tractor is built by sub-suppliers to John Deere's design and spec. That leaves the X90's which are Yanmar and I believe are finished touched in Augusta also since the come to us as drive off rather than in crates like the old X70's. Hope this helps clear things up.

Link:   Lawn & Leisure of Lee's Summit 

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 10413 Filter by Poster:
ARK 1 | Brent 1 | David 2 | doug 1 | dsg 1 | Jeff Kraft 3 | lsheaffer 1 | MichaelSnyder 2 | mike 1 | Mike S. 2 | RBinNC 1 | Roger L. 2 | scotty 1 | Terry Weivoda 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob