Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 HST Calibration

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-30          103189

Just got back from talking to a JD technician about whether it is worth it to bring my tractor in for recalibration. I have talked about this before on this board and I have watched my foot carefully on the forward -reverse pedals since then. Maybe every 25-50 times I hit the forward pedal the tractor does not move. If I press the pedal again (usually more slowly) the tractor always moves and I am in business.

I have watched to make sure I had not accidentally pressed the reverse pedal at the same time as the forward pedal. It happens rarely enough that I don't find it inconvenient. Also - there is no sign that it has been getting worse.

The tractor also creeps when I am on a slope, even moderate slope, when I let up on the pedals. It is a very slow creep - maybe 3 inches a minute - and I always have to use the brakes to feel safe. Others on this board have said they rarely use the brakes because when they let off the pedal because the HST tractors don't budge. The technican tells me this creep is normal, not to worry about it.

The technican tells me this is a slow time of year for them and they are looking for work, that I should call the service manager when he gets back and maybe he'll cut me a deal on transport ($150 round trip) and they would be glad to recalibrate and replace the pedal potentiometer. I am wondering if this is a good idea. On the one hand, if it ain't broke - don't fix it. On the other hand, my two year warranty is up in March and maybe this rare potentiometer failure is a hint of things to come. My inclination is to see if they'll waive the transport cost entirely. If they do - I should let them look at it, otherwise I should forget it and take my chances. Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4310 HST Calibration

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-30          103194

Do you have the safety switch in the seat? My machine won't move sometimes when I push the pedal then I let off and push again and it goes. It is because of the switch in the seat. If you are sitting off center or on the edge of the seat or if the seat is cold and stiff it does it.I am about to jump the wires to cure it. This time of year where it is always below freezing you have to drive your knee into the center of the seat to soften it and then let your ass warm it up before the switch works. Letting off and then pressing the pedal again resets the safety,another great JD idea. Mine never creeped but I think it is beginning to now that it has a few hours on it. I always use the emegency brake anyway, habit from driving an Allis Chalmer 840 loader for years. ....

JD 4310 HST Calibration

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-12-31          103208

Lucerne, the safety switch is an interesting thought. I never correlated it with my problem. I could see how this could be the answer, I always seem to have been involved in looking at something around the tractor when this pedal issue comes into play. Maybe I am off balance when this happens, and when I realize the tractor has not moved, I reposition myself to press the pedal a second time - or maybe it just resets itself on the second push like you suggest. I don't normally do much cold weather work so I don't notice the problem getting worse right now. Thanks for the reply! ....

JD 4310 HST Calibration

View my Photos
mudder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-30          112979

My 2002 4310 e-hydro did simular as yours. I accidently pressing the forward (or in vise versa order)petal, removed my foot instancely, then press the reverse petal, the tractor computer decided to go forward before reversing. This is a scary thought while I was dumping dirt at the edge a ravine-hill side. I planted both feet on both petals as soon as I relized I stepped on the forward petal. To date, the tractor will drift if ever stopped on a slope. My 2000HST model would also do the same as the 4310 model. JD Dealer replaced the computer to correct the 4310 problem. It was covered under warrenty. Mudder ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login