John Deere 4300 scuffing.......more.....and more.....: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review John Deere 4300 scuffing.......more.....and more.....: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 10197
TRock

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 John Deere 4300 scuffing.......more.....and more.....

Hi folks!I have been reading the posts concerning the scuffing. I finally was followed up today on my phone call to JD for this concern. Lori at the JD customer service center said that according to her conversation with JD engineering yesterday (11/16/99), there was no retrofit axle at this time. I asked her why there were posts on the internet saying the opposite. She stated that JD is currently looking into the issue, but that no repair parts were available. She asked me how bad my tractor was scuffing, and what tires I had. She did say that people with bar-type tires were probably not going to notice the scuffing because most don't go on lawns with these tires, and only use them in the soft dirt in the fields. She did say that the engineer recommended that she remind me when mowing, I shouldn't be attempting to turn all the way to lock, (to use long sweeping circles). Sorry, I did not spend this kind of $$ for a mowing tractor if it can only be turned 1/2 way to lock on grass. She did say that she really hadn't heard of all that many people with scuffing so bad that it leaves black marks on the driveway, and that mine may be an exception and is way worse than all the others. I told her that in today's mass production, hundreds of these tractors are produced in a day, and for mine to be assembled different than the other ones made that day, would be REALLY slim. They are probably ALL the same way. Maybe it is true, they haven't heard from the owners. I can tell that there are at LEAST 10 people on this website that have identical problems. I know that my dealer has done the best they can (they are top-notch, can't say enough about them!!!!) My suggestion is simple. The owners of the 4000 series that haven't asked their dealers about the scuffing problem yet.....what are you waiting for????? HOW in the world do you think JD is going to recognize that there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of problem tractors out there? If it isn't brought to their attention, JD may think it is not a widespread issue. For the owners that HAVE talked to their dealers about this and a "no fix is currently available" response was given, (I was given this response, but haven't talked to my dealer since October and I'm sure he has gotten more info since then) I suggest calling JD's customer service line, as they need to know that this problem IS a widespread problem!!Be sure to have your serial # and date of purchase when you call. 1-800-537-8233There are a few prompts to go through when you call, but they do answer very quickly, with very little hold time!!! Very good to know!!Then, I invite all the callers to respond back to this posting to give us the updates so we can all be informed. Enough said....

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10205
Terry

Filter by User

I to called the 1-800 number and got pretty much the same line, and I needed to talk to my dealer, after several calls he said let me call DTHL [dealer tech hot line], he called right back and told me yes there was a fix, all trasctors bulit in December would have the new axle and the axle for tractors before that date would be sometime in January. My call to him was on 11-16 99 the same day you called. I also have seen a JD dealer post a message on the board saying the same thing my dealer had said, I belive he was from PA, I would like to thank him for his input on his posting, not many JD dealers to do this. I would suggest to call your dealer and ask him to call the DTHL, let me know what he says.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10208
Mike

I'm glad to read this. My tractor is at the dealership right now.I'm
calling JD as soon as I can find my serial #. Thanks.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10210
Ted

Filter by User

2 things are occuring folks, the principal thing that is happening is simple physics, blame Sir Isaac Newton, not John Deere (or anybody else except the operator!). It is a simple result of the traction of the rear wheels trying to drive the tractor straight forwards, exceeding the traction of the front wheels to turn a corner as sharp as the operator is trying to accomplish. In other words "a body in motion tends to stay in motion....." So, as I have so eloquently put it many times in the past..... it is the "loose nut" behind the wheel that is the cause of the problem. Either slow down, turn more gradually or stop complaining....PLEASE. It is NOT A DESIGN FAULT. I can make my pickup truck do the same thing, I don't hear people asking Ford to change their design.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10211
Terry

Filter by User

Ted being a Auto Tech for some 25 years, I understand how the front end of a wheeled machine works, and its not the driver, my tractor is about 3000 lbs, in a fifteen foot circle it will tear the grass out by the roots, thats not even a 45degree turn. My truck is 4500 lbs, locking differential, deully, in the same circle does nothing. If you own 4000 series tractor and have no problem I am very happy for you, but I too would like to have one. Just by all the comments on this board seems I am not the only person with this problem. Besides when I bought my tractor the dealer knew what I was going to use it for, its a good thing I do not cut lawns for aliving, I would be out of a job.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10212
RBinNC

OK, I'm curious. I have a JD4300 4wd sync/reverser R1's, and I can't tear up any grass unless I turn it to the stops. I'm not mowing in 4wd, so what's the difference here? Is my grass tougher? Are you in 4wd? Not being cute, I just would like to figure out the difference.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10216
Larry

Filter by User

Ted,
I strongly disagree with your post. The maniac, 4wd, tight turn, high speed mowing issue has been beat to death on this board. I have a 4100 and can't even back out of the barn at idle in 2wd without removing grass, roots and all. All JD's come at a premium price and I expect premium performance!

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10219
turfman

Wow, Ted sure knows a lot about physics and tractors and trucks and how other people drive and etc..... Maybe we (the 4000 owners) should check and see how many of us have used other tractors before and are now using this model to try the same things. As for me, I owned a ford 8N, JD 755, JD 855, JD955, and now a 4400. Hmmmmm,none of the JD's prior to this when used in the same manner have had anything close to this type of problem. I have run each of the prior tractors about 500 hrs/year and never have to worry about the tear unless in 4wd. I really don't care what he thinks about our problem, if you are tired of hearing about it then don't access the subject heading and then you don't have to read about it. as for the rest of us we have a gripe and JD should here it. that is my 2 cents.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10223
TRock

Filter by User

Ted,
I have to agree with Larry and Terry. What tractor do you drive? I know I didn't buy my tractor to drive across my lawn like it was a 4-wheeler on a race track. Speed isn't the issue, and weight is not the issue. As I have read in previous postings, there are heavier JD tractors, like the 1070 that one guy had that said he was able to turn it completely lock to lock without any scuffing at all. If it is marketed to the public as a commercial tractor used for lawn mowing purposes, it should not cause scrub arcs anywhere on that lawn where the tractor was turned around. If I were paying the bill to that mowing company, I would surely want my grass replanted or to get reimbursed for the damages, then hire someone without a 4000 series tractor/mower. Mine will start scuffing in "A" range, with the throttle at idle, about halfway turned to lock in either direction. You need to take your foot off your differential lock if it wants to keep going straight ahead. This was as eloquent as I could get.

11-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 10226
Terry Weivoda

Filter by User

Sorry Ted, I just can't agree with your conclusion that the front tire scuffing is all operator error. Many of us that have posted on this board regarding the scuffing problem were previous owners of the 55 series Deere tractors. When the new 4000 series tractors were announced we expected improvements in design and quality. The 55 series tractors were well designed and ahead of their time but these tractors were engineered in the mid 1980s. We were ready for a new tractor. The 55 series tractors did not turn as short but they did not scuff the turf. As I have said in previous posts you can actually turn and 855 or 955 shorter on turf than you can with the 4000 tractors. You can make the 4000 tractors turn but it will look like you disced the turf if you do. The good news is that it appears Deere is agreeing with us and accepts that a real problem existed. I think Deere's reputation is on the line for compact utility tractor purchasers on this one. A poor front axle design should never have been put into production. Now that it has, Deere must make it right with their loyal customers and repair or replace the axle under their excellent warranty program.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 10197 Filter by Poster:
art 1 | Bill 2 | bo 11 | Brent 1 | brett 1 | Bruce 1 | Carl Redner 1 | Chris 3 | Chris Rosenberger 1 | DennisCTB 2 | doug 4 | Doug in PA 1 | dougr 1 | harvey 1 | Jack D 1 | Jay 1 | Jeff M. 1 | Jim 1 | Jim Fisher 2 | John 1 | ken 1 | Larry 2 | Mario 3 | MichaelSnyder 6 | Mike 1 | Mike S 1 | Mike S. 6 | PaulB 1 | Randy 2 | RBinNC 1 | Robert 1 | Roger L. 9 | Ross 2 | Scott 1 | scott slavin 1 | scotty 2 | Ted 8 | Terry 7 | Terry Weivoda 2 | Tim 12 | Tom 2 | TRock 2 | turfman 1 | wgb 3 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob