Go Bottom Go Bottom

Adding lights to a JD 4100

View my Photos
Deerester
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-29          101270

Im adding 3 lights to my JD 4100 with a 20amp alt. Two facing forward off the cab and one facing rearward off the ROP. After looking around i found what looks to be a factory pigtail connector in the rear for additional rear lights. I tested it with a DVM and it has 12v and is controled off and on with the factory light switch. My question is can I use this supply for all three lights or just the rear one? The lights I bought are 55w but im not sure how many amps they pull. Without measuring amp draw im guessing around 3amps each.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-01          101373

The easiet way to calculate how many amps you will be drawing is to know the watts of the light (or device) and divide by the voltage (12 volt in this case)...your 55w lamps draw 4.58 amps each. If you tie it into your switch which can handle two lights by design, it think the third will might blow the fuse for that line. Keep in mind your front headlights are either 27 w or 35 w bulbs...You will have just enough alternator current if your headlights are 35w halogens (total 19.56 amps)...If it was me I would cut back to two extra lights, but have them to be able to swivel either forward or backward when needed. Otherwise I think you will need to wire the third light dedicated with it own circuit & relay. Or upgrade your alternator (amps) and then have 4 lights, two on their own dedicated circuit with relay and rocker switch...

Lets us know how you make out...funny thing is I'm doing the same thing but only two lights. Got all the material just havent got around to tieing it all together (no big deal at all). I'm not in the mood to go out an upgrade my alternator. If I had a cab and heater setup, I would do it..

Ducati ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-12-01          101376

Guys,

I'm setting up the same on my 790, 20 amps also. I have the one 55 watt light faceing the back on the original light switch from the rear pig tail.

On the font cowl next to the key switch I have mounted 2 toggle switches to control the 2 fronts up on the ROPS and one switch to control the 1 rear light up on the rops.

I think i'll be all right with the amps as long as I do not have both aux. switches on at the same time...

View my Photos
JDLOVER
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-02          101424

Deerester

I don't know much about watts, volts, amps, etc; but a few years ago I added two front lights, a strobe light and one rear light on my JD 445 and have run them as long a 2 hours at a time and haven't had any problems. I have separate switches for them.

JDLOVER ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2004-12-02          101458

Does the 4310 have a pigtail for wiring extra lights? Is it that wire that seems to be hanging loose on the left rear of the seat? ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-02          101459

Must be "that time of year" as I also just bought rear lights to install on my 2210 this weekend! Winter is here in Wisconsin and my snowblower got install today at the dealer. Rear lights are a plus at times.

Sounds like I might also find a "pigtail" somewhere under the seat to tie into. I was going to mount two 55 watt lights however now I'm concerned about the current draw from the above posts. Is the alternator on the 2210 big enough to handle both lights or should I cut back to one?

Is there an empty fuse in the panel to link to if I can't find, or don't have, a "pigtail" connection? If not, can I use a in-line fuse with a switch? ....

View my Photos
acerguy

2004-12-07          101768

Yeah it MUST be getting dark out there! I recently bought a couple of Hella Aux. lights to mount on the ROPS. My plan was to hook them up (via relays) to come on with the other lights. Hadn't thought about needing a bigger alternator. I suppose it would be pretty easy to set it up so that I used either the stock lights OR the ROPS mounted ones (mostly since the stock lights get blocked by the FEL if I'm using it) ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-07          101769

I ordered a rear work light too, gets dark early. Couple of thoughts. 55 watts seems higher than needed, you are not going 65MPH like a car. My 35 watt factory lights are plenty bright if the fel didn't block them. Anyone ever hear of Billy Worx light brackets. A local dealer sells them and they come in 2"x2" and 2"x3" to mount on roll bars. You add you own lights. I have not seen them yet and was wondering if they are worth the $26 or whatever they cost? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login