990 / 790 what would you do?: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review 990 / 790 what would you do?: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-21-2004, 19:56 Post: 100687
daveknowshow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 990 / 790 what would you do?

well its down too crunch time! i have 9 days too deside, my price came in at $21056.75 on 790 4x4 419fel #7bh for the same money i can get a 990 4x4 with a 430 or possibly a larger capacity loader < not sure if larger is available had heard the 460 will fit the 990> i'm just not too convinced of the 790 lift capacities they seen awful low to be as expensive as it is. i like the compact size of the 790 if only the lift capacities where higher. i'm not sure hydrolic relief increase is an option on these newer 790 looks too me as the pump is different / changed the bh option on the 790 was not that important too me as greater lift capacity would be. if the pressure relief is still an option has everyone still been satysfied with the mod being mechanicaly safe < not user safe i know the dangers of flipping been there done that!> also i notice in that thread it said pack of shims as if there is more than 1 shim too a pack. in another post i had read a gentlemen purchased the shim pack and there was only 1 shim in the pack. how does it come? any insight or opinions?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

11-21-2004, 20:53 Post: 100690
DK35vince

I don't know what you plan to do with the tractor to say if the 790 would be suitable or not.
I would want a machine with enough power and lift to do most everything I need to do without the need of modifiying hydraulics Etc. right off the bat .
If you purchase a tractor underpowered for your needs you will be much more likely to be disatisfied with your choice.
My opinion..

11-21-2004, 21:26 Post: 100692
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Whatever you do, get the backhoe. You will double the usefulness of your tractor.

11-21-2004, 21:34 Post: 100694
daveknowshow

Filter by User

thnx ncrunch32 i like your tractor / bh really nice i can get either one but will have to put the bh on back burner for a spell if i go 990 i see a ussue with 8b bh being available down the road so no prblems there i like the idea of a bh but a weak bh on a weak tractor is no good what sux is there is noreason the 790 could not have a larger hydrolic pump and stronger capacities. just there way of pushing us up too a 4310 or 990 which would you think of as being the next step up from 790?

11-21-2004, 21:51 Post: 100696
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dave, I am not the expert that others are on this site. But there are a few threads here about shimming the 790 and I think some have done it successfully. I have a hard time commenting on what the best tractor size is for you. People on this site say any size is good - just the smaller the tractor - the longer it takes to do the job. I like having a 32HP tractor, it is a good universal size tractor - hydro makes it real easy to use - and the 3000 lb weight makes it stable when using the backhoe.
If your wife is up to it - and you get a tractor she can use (hydro) - then she will be glad you got the next size up.

11-21-2004, 23:13 Post: 100701
BenEAmonette

Keep your eyes open to other brands. There may be something else out there with the specs that are more to your liking. On the other hand, they may make you like the JD even more. Who knows until you look. Good luck.

11-22-2004, 05:03 Post: 100703
hardwood

TP Contributor

I'd really hate to see you take a new tractor and start shimming up the relief pressures. I've also seen some talk on changing the pump on a 4310 to match the HP of a 4410. Every system of any brand or size tractor is designed to stand certian loads and pressures with some designed in overload capacity. Any time you modify any part of the tractor for more performance then you've crossed into the overload capacity and then will excced that limit till the weakest link fails. I'd advise giving a 4310 a strong look, not only for the increased abilitys, but also for the creature comforts. If going to a 4310 strains the budget then maybe buy just the tractor and some basic attachments now and with as many 4000 series tractors and attachments as have been sold ther will be good used loaders, backhoes, etc. around for years to fit the trsctor. I've got both a 4310 and a 4410 and can't think of any reason I'd need or want anything better, they've did everything I've asked of them and are truly a pleasure to operate. Just my thoughts, good luck. Frank.

11-22-2004, 06:49 Post: 100705
daveknowshow

Filter by User

thnx frank and all whom have responded i must say the creature comforts of the 4310 are quite appealing! however i've not had much luck with fancy do dads my power seats dont work power windows always staying down or wont go down that sux at a toll both! this is kinda my reason on looking 990 being a basic design with little maintenace/repair cost as low as it can get. i actualy had thought of a 790 with a larger pump! however the weakest link has come too mind no telling where that is i do feel the 990 is a beast and could handle more than what i will ever need. if i do go 990 i will have too wait on the bh as the funds are just not there. that is unless someone here is looking for a nice tax write off! donations are welcome! Laughing out loud thanks again too all the great responces this site can make you want a tractor even if you really did not want one! gotta love that! as lots here have ask what i will be using it for its a toy like many other toys i have dirt bikes, metal lathes, lincoln sa250 welder,17.5' boat and lots of other fun stuff too play with living on just under 1 acre most would say 790 is all i need but as for me i can never stop at just enough gotta have more than enough. i don't have a wife or g/f so my toys are all the excitment i get around here < other than my teenage son and all his friends> well i'm rambling on as always. so in closing thanks again. what ever i deside i will be taking pix for all too see!

11-22-2004, 07:26 Post: 100709
jd2210

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I think if you are serious about wanting a BH down the road, then you would benefit more from the the 990. I have used many Deeres, and I would say the BH, like the loader is the one attachment where size does matter. Have you looked at the cost of a Bushhog or Woods brand BH for the 990, as well as the loader it might get that package, back to the fully equipped 790? These are well-known and proven attachments.

11-22-2004, 07:35 Post: 100710
daveknowshow

Filter by User

thats a great thought! wood or bushhog no i have not checked that but i surely will. and i'll let you guys know what i find out thanks! < getting excited again now> i really want that bh!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 100687 Filter by Poster:
BenEAmonette 1 | Chief 2 | daveknowshow 5 | DK35vince 1 | grassgod 1 | hardwood 1 | jd2210 1 | ncrunch32 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob