Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
lacamo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-21          100679

I'll be looking at a reasonably priced 4310 sometime this week. The ad says it has a new Woods loader instead of the usual 420/430. Has anyone any experience with their loaders? Will it trash the front end or block access to the engine? I guess I should be wondering what happened to the original FEL...

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100685

I believe woods were a good bit cheaper and I have only seen a few on JD compacts. As soon as I saw it was not a JD loader I turned the other direction. It is not that woods does not make good stuff, they do, and may even make the equipment JD sells under the FRONTIER name, I'm not sure ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100686

I also turned the other way when I saw a JD 420 loader. What cheap ass would buy that when they could just get the best for that machine, the 430. Woods makes loaders to fit many machines and then brackets for individual brands. I think JD loaders are made for that specific tractor and therefor give better performance. The 430 is the strongest for that machine, look at breakout strength not capacity to find the strongest. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
lacamo

2004-11-21          100695

Thanks for the input -- this was my gut feeling. It's being sold by a dealer and my guess is that the original loader was either kept by the previous owner for another tractor, or something evil happened. When I examine it, I'll see what I can see. Certainly, the 430 would be my choice. Much obliged!

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
bigbru

2004-11-22          100753

What is a good price for a 4310 that is used? and then a new 430 loader? ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
lacamo

2004-11-22          100762

He's asking $13,900, which would be reasonable with a JD loader. It does have some hours, 1800, which is definitely "used" for a CUT, but he says it's in "like new" condition. The idea did cross my mind to offer to take it w/o the FEL and buy my own 430. Don't know if he'd want to remove the Woods -- I'll know on Wed.

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-23          100867

Personally, I would choose the 4300 over the 4310 because of all the "will probably fail and cost a lot", electronics. The hydro pedals are only connected to the tranny electrically through wires. Yes the hydro pedals on the 4300 are stiffer and some of the new features seem nice, but I don't trust them. You can't even engage the PTO gently, the 4310 has a button that you pull, on/off. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-23          100868

To put things in perspective, I purchased my 4300 hydro, 430 loader a month ago with 299 hours in excellent condition. I paid $14,500. This is the going price around me for similar, I passed another the same tractor/loader, with a 72 inch belly, 1 remote and power beyond, 350 hours for 14,500 because of turf tires. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-23          100869

1800 hours is way too many, I would not touch it for a cent over 10,000, and even then, I would keep looking. the ones around me with those hours are all rental retired. Rental=really abused by renters ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-23          100877

I was worried about the electronics in the 4310 but I got over it. How often do computers in cars go out? The long term availability may turn out to be an issue, we'll have to wait and see. I really like the 4310 PTO clutch control - you shouldn't be dumping the clutch at high rpm anyway and at slow speeds it engages acceptably smooth. It's great for things like 3-point chippers that you want to operate while standing next to the machine and the clutch pack can be repaired/replaced without splitting the machine (not sure how the 4300 is configured). ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-23          100882

you must drive japanese cars like me. Just buy a 10 year or more old GM and watch the electronics fail one after the next. My parents still insist on it and I just shake my head. I'm sure a lot of you will say "i have a ----- and it has been great." Well some are. I just try to stack the deck in my favor. It also never rains inside my cars, snow never gets in them, etc. I'm sure the tractor is sealed but how long before they leak just a tiny bit. I really can't like the PTO designed for Ma Cleaver to be comfortable to use, The kind on some lawn mowers. I can engage the heaviest implements at slowest idle and never grunt the tractor. I can also tell if there is too much load on an implement, like twine wrapped on blades or clogged with some weeds before I fully commit to engaging. I understand if you are buying new, there are no options, so enjoy what you get, I am sure it will be fun. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-24          100897

I had a 4300 that traded in on the 4310. The 4300 was a good tractor, the dealer gave me top dollar for it on the trade, he has a waiting list for nice ones. The 4310 has lots of small refinments over ther 4300 that just make it a lot nicer tractor, better joy stick, tilt wheel, PTO and 4 WD controls are much better. Someone made the comment that the 4310 and 4410 share the same engine. No they are different the 4410 is a larger displacement block. Frank. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-24          100909

The electronics on these things are embedded in epoxy and are very unlikely to fail due to moisture. Most failures are caused by sensors or connections, and if the electronics fail it is usually due to a bonehead DIY mechanic who shorts something out.

And, no, I don't drive japanese cars. The Fords we drive and the GMs we used to drive are crap, but the electronics on them have never failed. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
bigbru

2004-11-24          100916

I was reading the pretty sales brochure and the 4410 and 4310 are listed as the same displacement. Maybe a typo since they also list the length of the 4410 as much shorter as well. Is the 4310 a better value over the 4410 in your opinion? ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-24          100918

I think the 4310 is a better value, I'm not sure but isn't it about $500 per horsepower that the dealer wants to move up to the 4410. I recently spoke to my local Yanmar engine dealer, to buy a new $83 ELECTRONIC fuel solenoind for my 4300 with 300 hours (John Deere wants $105), and he said he could safely turn my engine up to the same HP as the 4400 with no increase in RPM and no ill effects for the engine. I would not do it if warranty was still in effect, but it isn't and I probably would like about 5 more HP for under $200. He said these engines are lasting up to 20,000 hours as power plants while real farm tractors (not the engine) usually only last 10,000 if you are lucky. CUTs probably won't last that long. So the engine will live on long after the tractor if cared for and a little more power will not affect the engines life compared to the tractor. He said it could even be turned up to the point it will damage the tractor, so this is not a do it yourself project. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
bigbru

2004-11-24          100923

Interesting. That is what I expected. From a manufacturing standpoint it would be more cost effective. I wounder if that is what is going on here? You are correct about the price/hp at $500. Why don't the CUT last that long? I see you're not a fan of the new electronics. I am also concerned. Although the load match demo I received was impressive. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-24          100930

same reason big rigs can easily last 1,000,000 miles and a pickup is luck to hit 250,000, they are not built as heavy. I am sure the demo was impressive but with some experiece, you can overcome the stalling issue if that is what you are worried about. Personally, I like the fact that when I push the hydro pedal, it moves linkages and valves, not relying in electronics to interpret my foot and tell the machine. Honestly if it were Japanese, or had been used for 10 years with great success, I would be more trusting. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
lacamo

2004-11-24          100942

You really hit the nail on the head, my friend. Just looked at it an hour ago: definitely used rental unit. Did speak with someone trying to sell me a 1050, also with a Woods FEL -- major selling point was that it was painted green. The 4300 I looked at last week is probably my best bet overall. It has a 420 FEL (rather than the 430). Told the dealer I'd cut a check for 13.5 on the spot -- he wanted 14.5 which I'd probably go for with the larger bucket. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-24          100949

JD has been using electronics in their big equipment for many years. It's only been in the last few years that they have trickled down to the small machines. There is a rumor that the eHydro transmission can be retrofitted to the non-electronic version without a great deal of effort by installing 4300 style linkages should the electronics become unavailable or cost prohibitive to replace. I do not have firsthand knowledge of this.

Regarding $103 for an electronic fuel solenoid, parts are expensive all over and not just for tractors. I paid $176 for upper and lower radiator hoses for our Ford Taurus SHO. That is insane. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-24          100957

If I recall, Ford got some sense and put a Yamaha motor in at least some of the SHO's. Do you think the Japaneseness played a roll in the price? ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-24          100968

I'm not sure what the pricing structure was or who made the hoses, but I do know the Yamaha engine in the SHO is awesome - and about the only part of that POS that hasn't broken. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
rcfoster

2005-01-04          103467

In photo 11 ,how did you spread the rear wheels of your jd out so far? My are stock and narrow. I need to spread then out.
Thanks rcf ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-04          103471

Those are 8 position JD wheels set to the widest position. If you don't have 'em you can buy 'em, but you might need a new set of tires too. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
carlsoncg

2005-01-04          103482

Since people are asking you about your tractor and implements, I'll jump in, how do you like your Jinma chipper, and Brush Bandit 150XP chipper? What PTO HP do they require? I have a 790 with just 25HP at the PTO. I have only 5 acres in western Rhode Island, also with two 100 ft rows of abandoned Christmas trees all grown together and 20 feet high, but also lots of maple, birch, pine and grapevine. My brush pile is 12 feet high and 30 feet long, which is OK, but I am still buying mulch for the wife's flower beds and thought a chipper might be nice. I am also envious of your dozer grapple. I guess you don't have load a FEL bucket by hand or get out the trailor to get your branches to the wood pile/chipper! ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-01-05          103494

I also have a question...I see that JD discontinued its 420/430 loaders and are now using the 300x or 300xc (I think) as their replacement for their mid sized CUTs. I will say, they look great but are they built like the 430? Anyone know comparitive specs on the new vs. old? Just curious... ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-05          103506

Carlson, the 6" Jinma chipper works fine and is a lot of chipper for the money but I found it wasn't big enough for my needs. I wrote a review of it in the Wood Chippers forum and that thread describes it pretty well. The Bandit is a 12" tow-behind with it's own 85 hp engine. It's a monster but it's great fun shoving 30 foot trees in it and watching them disappear. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
rcfoster

2005-01-05          103530

Yeh, I knew that I would need new tires .Yours are the regular farm tires correct? Do you call them R-1s? What is your tree bucket called? Is it a JD item? ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-05          103575

Yes, they are R1 ag tires but are an extra cost upgrade from the standard R1's, and consequently a little larger. The grapple is a Borgford Bodozer, from borgford dot com, not a JD. I really like the grapple for moving slash but obviously have a regular JD bucket too for other needs. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
rcfoster

2005-01-05          103590

OK, Thanks. I'm gonna check into the wheels and tires first, then the grapple. I just bought a 48 back hoe for her(Santa brought it).I really like the look of your rims and tires. They will help alot when useing the back hoe. Alot wider. Send some more pics! I'll take some of my 4400 and post em See Yaa!
Thanks, RCF ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-01-07          103762

4310 eHydro fully working for $13.9K? Around here (NorCal) that tractor would go fast. I would buy one, and the electronics don't scare me. It seems the unit it replaced, the 4300, had lots of mechanical failures, which have been corrected in the 4310.

As for the engines in the 4300, 4310, and 4410....aren't they the Yanmar 3TN84? that's the same 33hp unit in my 1996 JD955. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
mace17

2005-01-07          103785

Do you know if that other 4300 is available. That is exactly what I was looking for. ....

JD 4310 with Woods FEL

View my Photos
mace17

2005-01-07          103786

I agree that valves are cool. Wires and software are cheap. Get used to it. The real cost (hardware, i.e. valves and hydraulic lines are on the way out) simple cost reductions. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login