Go Bottom Go Bottom

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
bama1111
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-03-28          194829

Gator was running about 5 min. and then started bogging down. I cleaned the fuel filter and now I can't get fuel to fill the filter bowl, I tried to pump the transfer pump but no luck.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-03-30          194851

I think you're going to have to bleed entire fuel system from tank to injectors. I am not familiar with your specific machine, but it sounds like it was starving for fuel and is still not getting it. Was the filter plugged? Is there an electric lift pump going to the fuel injection pump? Could air be leaking in somewhere? Did anything occur before initial bogging which could explain failure to prime? It would help if you knew cause of initial problem, as that might be continuing to cause your problem. Or it might just need to be primed and bled. Often fuel filters are filled with fresh fuel before restarting, but this allows unfiltered fuel into injection pump. Many newer diesel engines will have a priming pump, but usually one needs to let air out of top of system in order to prime. There should be a procedure for this in your manual. Good luck. Let us know what your fix is. ....

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
bama1111

2016-03-30          194856

This gator has a lift pump that is mechanical the handle on the pump has no resistance when pumping and no fuel. I thought maybe the lift pump is defective or weak and may be the problem of bogging down in the beginning. I hate to change the pump for $ 100 and not be the problem. ....

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-30          194859

Can you check to be sure there is full and free flow out the tank? Now I did not read your asking for this and not sure who will back me up on this but if you are trying to start it without bleeding the system get a helper and can of WD 40 and us short burst of spray to the air intake to start on and run on for a few seconds to prime the system. Will not say it works on all systems, have only used it on Ford, Allis Chambers, Kubota and JD. ....

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-03-31          194861

Most mechanical lift pumps work off an eccentric. Sometimes one needs to turn engine over a bit so that manual priming lever will work. I'd crack the discharge line and see if it's trying to pump. As previously suggested, you should follow fuel from tank to lift pump to a bleed up top. WD-40 is probably a safer alternative to starting fluid, as it has some lubricity for the cylinder walls. Straight starting fluid tends to dilute the oil lubricating the piston/ring/cylinder area. Still I would verify that fuel system is pumping and primed before relying on this. I once jacked up a machine and pinched a fuel line onto a stand. Made it hard to prime. ....

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-03-31          194862

I'd also check connections to fuel shutoff solenoid. Usually when that is the problem it will shut right off and not restart. But you could verify that it's getting power and you should hear/feel a click when turned on/off. ....

diesel hpx gator

View my Photos
bama1111

2016-04-15          194979

We finally made the decision to take the gator to the shop and the problem was the transfer fuel pump, it also had fuel in the oil. Thanks for the help ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login