Go Bottom Go Bottom

gator smokes sometimes under power

View my Photos
jarankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-05          194674

Hello all, I purchased a 2009 Gator that had the front driveshaft removed because the rental company client had 'messed it up somehow'. it runs fine in 2 whl drive for having only 600 hrs on it. 3 times in 4 months I was going up a very slight hill at about 20 mph when all of a sudden there was a loss of power and a cloud of smoke in the back. letting off the gas and re-starting up the hill then worked out ok. is this a worn belt? or what say the group? thanks in advance!
also, the parking brake doesn't work and I cant see how to adjust it. manual said, 'see dealer'. id like to take a stab at it...any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Nortske
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-03-05          194675

Have you checked the engine oiul level? Perhaps it is low, or HIGH (toomuch)? ....

View my Photos
jarankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-05          194677

thx for the reply. I checked it when I bought it and twice since. Seemed right. The smoke doesn't smell particularly like oil. only happens when the engine is under some amount of load... ....

View my Photos
jarankin

2016-03-05          194679

Picture Link
Utility Vehicles UTV/ATV gator smokes sometimes under power

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-03-07          194689

if it smells like burning rubber, it's the belt. Another less likely probability is oil pooling on engine that drips onto exhaust when on a grade. This should be easy to verify or rule out. Changing a belt is not difficult, and if the belt is badly worn will make your machine operate much better. But don't assume, as I just did on a Ranger I'm working on, that installing a new belt will cure the issue. Check that the variable clutches are working properly before you button it up. You could jack up rear, if only 2-wheel drive, and run speed up and down. Be safe--blocks and jack stands, keep loose clothing and body parts clear of drivetrain. Keep us posted--we all learn from results good or bad. ....

View my Photos
jarankin

2016-03-07          194690

Wow, thx for your reply!. I needed validation for my instinct to replace the belt. My guess is the clutches need attention as well. Eventually I'd like to replace the 4-wheel drive function on it. As a 2-wheel drive unit it ain't bad though. I paid 1000.00 for it. I don't think I got took😎
I also have a 2002 Yamaha Big Bear so it's not the only thing I have for chores...Thank you for your support friend... ....

View my Photos
jarankin

2016-03-18          194741

Well I replaced the belt. The new belt is actually about an inch longer and at rest, sits on the bottom of the plastic cover. It engages nicely though, and no burning noted since the R&R. Per-HAPS this was the fix. Gator still jerks on acceleration some though, and sometimes pops out of forward gear. Not a big deal. Thanks for the encouragement. ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-03-21          194763

Thanks for letting us know results--we all learn from those. It's nice to hear of good resolutions. Belt length is actually pretty critical in a variable speed drive, even though it may not seem that way when the system is not running. As the belts wear, they get narrower. This makes them appear longer, and the drive will lose capability to shift through its entire range. Likewise a belt too short will affect proper operation of the variable clutches. Perhaps the belt you replaced was not the proper one for your machine. ....

View my Photos
jarankin

2016-03-28          194818

I wondered what the explanation was going to be for that. thanks. makes sense- but I would have never come up with that on my own... ....

View my Photos
jarankin

2016-07-27          195587

It was head gasket.... ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2016-08-01          195607

Well you did get a smokin' deal on your Gator--couldn't help the pun. If your gator has the Kawasaki v-twin, head gasket repair is not that difficult a job. I've done a couple, and have used the shade tree head resurfacing technique of a sheet of sandpaper on a piece of glass. Sand head until you can tell it is flat, using different grades of paper as necessary. This is even a pretty good way to tell is head needs real machining, as the sanding marks will show high vs. low. Seems to work OK. Getting the cooling system back together and properly purged is vital though. I got a similar deal on my Mule because previous owner did a head gasket unsuccessfully and then gave up.

btw: this post probably should have been to other topic. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login