Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD Gator 2000 Charging problems

View my Photos
brevennaugh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-08-11          193305

I have a 2000 Turf Gator that doesn't seem to charge properly. It's been mickey moused around so that it has a golf cart 3 wire voltage regulator, not an original JD Gator. I'm not smart enough to put a JD back on it.
When I check the battery with the gator running and the voltage regulator plugged in the battery shows barely 12.0 volts. If I unplug the voltage regulator and check it, it shows 12.7 volts when running. The battery is new and shows 12.9 when sitting.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bruce

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ford2000

2015-08-26          193422

I think I would try to remove the mickey mouse set first, probably was done to avoid the pricey John Deere prices on the regulators. ....

View my Photos
brevennaugh

2015-08-27          193445

As it turns out, my friends at John Deere wired the starter/generator into the electrical system backwards. So instead of charging, it was discharging and creating a lot of heat. Nothing wrong with the Mickey Mouse voltage regulator, it was working fine, just didn't know what to do with the generator the way it was wired.
Now that it's wired properly, the starter/generator charges the battery at 13.9 volts.
Life is good!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login