Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help with a Gator CX idle stalling problem

View my Photos
TJK1023
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-03-02          192235

Hi everybody,
Need some help. Have a Gator CX with a Kowasaki Motor. Wife used it yesterday and afterwards couldn't keep it running. Idle would drop way down to the point it would stall out. Went in to look at it and possibly adjust idle screw. Found a plastic tube (vacuum hose?)with a small (tiny) hose clamp on one end and the other end of the tube is larger and more rubbery in texture. Tubing is clear. Where does that end go to? anyone with any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatormaki

2015-03-02          192238

I think there is a small tube like that for the gas tank vent. Points down and open on the end.

If it will idle/run with the choke partly on it is probably the pulse fuel pump. My first one failed when the CX was still under warranty. Since then I have replaced it 2-3 times on a 2008 CX.

When they start to go usually it occasionally won't idle without the choke or loses power while driving though many times it will run fine all day or for several days- problem just reoccurs more often with time as the pump weakens. Fortunately it is a fairly cheap part and takes about 10 minutes to replace. Sits on top of the engine with 3 hoses going to it.

I keep thinking some day I will find a little electric pump to replace it but it's failure rate is not quite annoying enough.

BTW they do sell rebuild kits but unless you have some kind of jig to hold it you'll never get it back together again.

I think I paid $40 for the last one and there are even cheaper plastic bodied ones. Common part.

Of course your problem could be just stale gas or dirty fuel filter/carb. I've never had a problem with the carb but I replace the fuel filter regularly. I've also never had a problem with "stale" gas even though sometimes it doesn't get much use in the winter. ....

View my Photos
TJK1023

2015-03-06          192299

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the info. Much appreciated. Going to move toward replacing the pump. Really appreciate the help.
Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Trainpilot

2015-03-07          192302

Is it the first time it has run in awhile? Sometimes water in the fuel will migrate to bottom of float bowl and cause symptoms like you describe. If the water sits there it can foul the idle jet. I would drain the float bowl and look for water while also checking fuel pump flow. My daughters little Yamaha 90 has had this problem after sitting. The idle jet is so small, I have to use one strand from a piece of electrical wire to clean it, as carb cleaner and compressed air are sometimes not enough. ....

View my Photos
americano

2015-03-11          192306

clear tube on carb is over flow line, check fuel pump by running engine for a minute , than disconnect line from pump start it back up and see if flow is about 3 oz in 5 seconds, look that up though, if not to good get a Briggs pump found one for 6 dollars works good better.

If that does not work clean carb make sure high sped jet is drilled out to #56 metric bit size, and your should be in good running again through away the end of the filter housing rubber part tip. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login