Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4x2 gator will not run

View my Photos
baggedford
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-01-09          191814

now I consider my self to be a good mechanic but this Kawasaki engine in my gator has me stumped. ill start from the beginning to now..

the day it broke down it acted like it was running out of gas but had a full tank. I checked the fuel pump and it was just barely coming out, so I replaced the lines and pump. still wouldn't start up. so I cleaned the carb and tried again and still nothing. so I bought a new carb from john deere but still no start.. changed plugs but again nothing. so I checked compression and got 120 on my guage. checked the spark and all it had was a orange flash so I installed a new coil(this gator doesn't have the ignitor) checked spark now and have nice blue spark. but still wont crank. I can spray either in and it will crank and run, if I hold my hand over the carb it will crank and run but for only a few seconds on both. I am lost... I have all new carb,gaskets,coil, fuel lines,air filter,fuel filter and fuel pump.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2015-01-09          191815

The fact that it runs with your hand partially over the carb says you are getting too much air or not enough gas. Does your air cleaner intake have a restrictor in the hose? Sometimes mice eat them and that allows too much air into the carb. Only certain models have them, but there should be some sign of it if was there. Also what main jet is in your new carb? ....

View my Photos
baggedford

2015-01-09          191816

I have the restrictor in the fresh air side.. I put the old carb back on but still no change. now im not the best on lil carbs like this but on the left side of the carb theres a jet that u can screw in or out the old carb was set all the way in. also the new carb has some sort of adjustment a lil down from the throttle. this new carb is identical to the old one except the new adjustment by the throttle.. I dunno what the main jet is as I haven't taken this new carb apart ....

View my Photos
korange

2015-01-09          191819

I would suspect bad gas, or a clog at pickup in the tank, especially since the first indication was being out of gas. Either blow out line back thru tank or use another container for supply to see if that helps. If it runs on starting fluid that rules out spark. Compression is good so valves are ok. I don't remember any "safety switches"; also ruled out by having ignition. If it runs by squirting gas in the carb throat, then its a supply issue and you have covered all but the tank it seems. Hope you get it going. ....

View my Photos
greenmango

2015-01-10          191821

Try this: It is an overlooked area but could be the cause of your problem. Inside the muffler has a restrictor and in time it gets clogged. Remove it and try starting your gator. Be sure to give the restrictor a good cleaning and return it to the muffler to prevent damage to other areas.:) ....

View my Photos
baggedford

2015-01-10          191822

is the restrictor on the engine side or the exit. I have been busy today but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to hook a bottle up to the carb with fresh gas and see if it will start ....

View my Photos
greenmango

2015-01-11          191823

The restrictor is actually the spark arrestor that is within the muffler (like a muffler within a muffler). Remove it and try starting it. It is not uncommon for small engines to have a hard time starting if the exhaust is clogged. Weed wackers have similar problems if the exhaust is clogged. Be sure to clean and return the spark arrestor to the muffler. ....

View my Photos
korange

2015-01-17          191885

Just curious if you found the problem with the gator? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login