Go Bottom Go Bottom

water in oil on john deere gator

View my Photos
erinfrye
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-09-23          188022

I have a 1990 john deere gator and it is liquid cooled. There is water getting in the oil and we have had the heads vhecked and cant find anything wrong with it. Anyone know what it could be?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-09-26          188033

Check with the dealer or the shop manual and find out if this particular engine has an internal oil cooler. I know my Cummins diesel does and if the oil cooler develops a leak, it will contaminate the oil with coolant. This can usually be checked with a cooling system pressure check. The other possibility could be an oil passage packing or gasket that may have failed. ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-10-04          188072

If the Gator is a 6X4 with a Kawasaki engine, you need to replace the water pump. You could just replace the seal inside the pump, but it is a LOT easier to just replace the whole thing (this is the voice of bitter experience talking!).You will need a new water pump gasket also. The engine will have to be removed from the Gator, but not dismantled apart from the water pump. The block is aluminium, so I'd recommend getting a copy of the technical manual TM1518 and pay attention to the torque settings for the bolts.
If you're reasonably at home with engines you may decide to take the opportunity to replace a few other things while the engine is out. I'd definity do the two oil seals and the main bearing (behind the flywheel). Optionally also replace the rings but only if the engine is smokey - by the time you buy the rings, head gaskets, other engine seals and gaskets you will probably be looking at several hundred dollars. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login