Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dump bed get very not to the touch on side with muffler

View my Photos
papawoodi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-06-14          183889

Just recently picked up a 1998 Gator 4x2 that runs great with no problems except for the dump bed that gets very hot on the side with the muffler. My dog won’t even ride anymore because of it. After driving for a few minutes you can’t even leave your hand on the bed for a second without getting burnt.
I put my hand down next to the head where the exhaust connects and feel air coming out of that area (gets to be hot air overtime). I was going to replace the exhaust gasket this weekend, but wanted to check and see if this is a normal thing with Gator 4x2. Also is there a recommendation on what to do that would beat the heat some (maybe heat shield or some kind of material to stick to bottom of the dump bed?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-14          183890

I looked to be 100% certain but mine has a piece of foil wrapped insulation on the bottom of the bed over the muffler area. I would think if you could get a piece of duct pipe insulation (scrap) of say 18 by 24 inches would be sufficient.

View my Photos
papawoodi

2012-06-14          183893

sounds good I will rig up some kind of heat shield.

Last question and this might be a dumb one. I feel a good amount of air coming out of the open area of the motor heat shield between the the valve cover and exhaust where the pipe goes in. Does this air suppose to be coming out of there or is this just an exhaust leak? I dont think the exhaust makes a lot of noise. But like I said its a dumb question.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-06-14          183895

They say there is no dumb question so to prove it will ask you one: is your motor air cooled or is there a fan on it? Like to have made mistake and said "MY GATOR" but my "WIFE"S gator is oh about seven years old and is air cooled. If there is a fan on that motor have not seen it. But can check if you want me to see if there is air flow there.

View my Photos
papawoodi

2012-06-14          183898

Its air cooled engine.
If you do have time and or its not inconveniencing you would you please check "YOUR WIFE'S gator" if there is air coming out around that area. Over a few minutes that air does get hot.
Well at least you probably haven’t made the mistake like I have and bought things with a title; then get my wife to switch the title over because she has more time than I do. Well everything seems to be in her name now.
Thanks for the help...

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-14          183900

I will check it Saturday. It will be out playing in the yard then or needs to be.

When we bought the Gator I did the field work and took her to test drive the "GREEN" (only color it could be to suit her) there she was running around driving the Gator with Manager with her. I realize a salesman wanted to ask a question and finally got him to: "why is she test driving it" to which I said for she is the one who wants a Gator. His reply was sad, I wish my wife wanted such. felt sorry for the old boy. Oh my wife's name is first on some titles and only on others and then it is hers or mine on others. The Lord richly blesses this Ole country boy! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-16          183908

I can feel some air flow in that area when idleing. Not much and it was not as hot as would expect exhaust air to be. Engine was not hot just warm when I did check it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login