Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gator grinds going into F or R first Gator

View my Photos
wadams
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-03-05          177209

I just picked a 2000 Gator, 2X4 and when you shift into forward it really grinds a lot before going into gear, also grinds (but less) going into reverse. It runs fine once you get it into gear but sound terrible going into gear. Any suggestions as to why it grinds?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gator2times

2011-03-06          177221

Probably the gears in the trans axle

I just replaced some gears in my 6X4 trans axle " tuff torq Kt35" Yous is probably a different trans axle... maybe same
Got parts directly from tuff torq ... just asked them what parts they recommend, I think it was 250 for gears and I bought brakes too while i had it down total was 700+ but it fixed it and I did not have to pay at Deere a fortune

View my Photos
wadams

2011-03-06          177228

I just got the technical service manual and it appears the primary clutch is not disengageing at low speeds which makes the larger secondary clutch pulley turn at low speeds while trying to engage into forward. From what I understand, the belt should not be turning at idle? It should only start to turn as rpms increase. Think I will look at primary clutch first to see if I can make it no engage at low speed. ....

View my Photos
gator2times

2011-03-06          177229

You are correct... I ansered a question that wasn't asked...I was thinking that your gears were ground down and maybe jumping out of gear... which that grinding will cause eventually

It seems there is a fitting in the trans axle that acts a little bit like a synchronizer .. much improved once I swapped gears out.. but as you said may be just slowing down the speed of the motor/first clutch

You may just turn your idle down... sorry ....

View my Photos
wadams

2011-03-06          177231

Even at the lowest idle the belt is still turning. Does your belt turn at low idle or is it stopped until your rpms increase? I assume the belt is not suppose to turn at idle. ....

View my Photos
gator2times

2011-03-06          177233

In one of my gators it does pretty much stop ... on another it turns a little and I get a little grinding ... I think a little of that is just part of the deal but I am sure that was not intended by the designers.

One of the gators went 1100 really hard hours with the grinding getting progressively worse like that before It destroyed the tranny gears that I mentioned replacing....
w changing it was almost as good as when new as it must have tightened something up inside... Even after all that it still grinds a little ( like hearing a ratchet click three times ) when putting in gear but I don't worry about it anymore. ( I also figured out I had the idle too high before )

Still grinds a little, how much is a little? I can lift the bed while idling and take a stick and stop the belt by pressing on the upper shieve .. then it slips... Not recommending that LOL but that is what I did. If it is any tighter than that, either your idle is too high or you have a problem with the clutch....

I have replaced those before too.. Had to pull the motor on mine. Yours may be a little different as all of mine are the bigger units with the bigger motors...

Good luck ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-07          177237

This is one reason I don't care for our Gator. Was told by JD when brand new just the way it is designed.The guy who delivered it said but the throttle and as the rpms drop pull into gear real quick. If you can time that right it helps. ....

View my Photos
gator2times

2011-03-07          177238

kthompson

I understand Gators ( older ones anyway ) have issues but what else would you buy? I am looking right now. I have heard of issues with other brands. Polaris seems to have frame issues and motor issues, Kubota has had some tranny issues and moves like a turtle from what I had read. I am looking to buy another UTV for my place because I know one of mine is going to crap out someday and I don't want to be stuck with buying one in an emergency.

I absolutely hate the idea of overpaying those JD guys just because their equipment is green but that new 825 really gets up and moves. ....

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-07          177244

All the UTV's have different good and bad points. Before I bought my RTV900 I drove most of them. You have to be honest with your self on your uses of the UTV. I decided I needed something that did slow(<25mph)good. I hardly know when the wood splitter is on and it easily moves full hay wagons nice and slow. For others that need to travel longer distances (and lighter loads)with their UTV, there are better choices. ....

View my Photos
gator2times

2011-03-07          177245

No problems with your RTV? What year is it... I am big on Orange but I heard some guys talk about problems with the 04 or 05 units... front U joints or something like that. also some complaints about shifting and taking off fast.

The way I use my gators, I jump on them with tool boxes in the bed a blow to the other side of the property as fast as possible, sometimes pull a manure spreader too.

If you like yours I may go test drive one. I like Gators but they are overpriced for what they are and they do have their "Issues" ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-07          177246

My RTV is a 2006 model. They changed how the front driveshaft connects to the splines of the engine. It now clamps tight to them instead of just sliding onto them. With time the older ones would rattle. It does shift hard between ranges just like my CUT. Most of the time i can help it by moving my upper body forward and back to rock the rtv slightly. I'm on the flat most of the time, hilly terrain makes it worse. There is a knob you can pull that will release the hydraulic pressure. If you don't need such a heavy unit, the rtv500 is a cool little thing to drive. ....

View my Photos
cedyedy

2011-06-14          178996

My Gator Ground in F and R and I cleaned the Primary Clutch out with Elec Motor Cleaner and then put a little grease in the parts that moove Wings and on the shaft that slides when you give it RPm it works fine now Little to no grinding ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login