Go Bottom Go Bottom

repainting a gator

View my Photos
kentrx1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-19          175845

anyone have any experience with repainting a gator? i wonder how it holds up on the plastic or does it just crack off. thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

repainting a gator

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-19          175848

Plastics vary as does the prep and type of paint. You should talk to an automotive paint supplier near you for the best results. ....

repainting a gator

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-19          175852

I'm far from an expert painter, but have did a bit but not on plastic, so I won't offer any advice there.
My comment would be that if you want the Gator to look original you need to buy John Deere paint and their thinner. My experience trying to use a generic thinner just makes a mess that won't spray. Paint stores claim to be able to duplicatre the original colors, but no they can't, at least the paint people I tried. A major brand, they were real close, but no cigar.
I don't know if Gators are painted lawn and garden green, new generation green or classic green, there is a difference.
Frank. ....

repainting a gator

View my Photos
cedyedy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-11          178943

Hi Make sure you get the Plastic additive for the paint Put it in the primer as well We use it on the plastic bumpers and it holds up good. Keep in mind it does make the paint less shiny Do not use water base PNT

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login