Go Bottom Go Bottom

Just picked up a 2000 6x4 with motor issues

View my Photos
jspec12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-03          172804

Oil is milky white. So that means coolant in the oil. Deere dealer did a compression test and no compression in 1 cylinder. I was going to tear down the motor but what are your thoughts on whats wrong? What should I check 1st?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-04          172805

No compression at all sounds like it sat with water in it and a valve hung open. Even with a cracked head or blown head gasket you should have some compression as long as there's a piston in there. Bad water pump will put coolant in the oil too. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-04          172808

I licked it up at a john Deere dealer. The Guy I bought it from gave up on it after $1100. The dealer pulled the heads and had them pressure tested and cleaned. They checked out fine. He got the motor back and upon startup it had no compression or so he claims. I was thinking rings but could they have put the head on wrong? The weird thing is it started instantly with no noise. Just pissing out white oil out the vent tube. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-04          172809

Depends on who put it together. You could have an intake gasket in backwards, the water pump could be bad. It's not rings and the head won't go on wrong. They will run on one cylinder. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-04          172818

Js12:

Could not resist...

"I licked it up at the dealership"------ummm------- you must be reeeeealy pop-u-lar with techs there then! I hear a "customer of the month" award coming. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-04          172819

Dam phone! :) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-04          172820

Is that phone of yours posting for you AGAIN? Now THAT'S a SMART phone. Let's hope it doesn't start calling old girlfriends at 3 in the morning!

Where abouts in Commerce are ya? I'm south about 45 minutes. I hope your phone doesn't start calling me! ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-04          172821

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 172820
Is that phone of yours posting for you AGAIN? Now THAT'S a SMART phone. Let's hope it doesn't start calling old girlfriends at 3 in the morning! Where abouts in Commerce are ya? I'm south about 45 minutes. I hope your phone doesn't start calling me!

Commerce township is my office at the end of haggerty. I live in farmington hills. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172840

Now I am just confused! I drained the coolant from the system and am in the process of flushing the coolant out of the oil. 4 oil changes later it is looking better. The weird thing is I just did a compression test and get about 170 on each cylinder. So I guess my main issue is coolant in the oil. Should I order a new water pump? ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172841

Also any idea of the Water pump part number? ....

View my Photos
spyder

2010-08-06          172848

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec12 | view 172841
Also any idea of the Water pump part number?

Hi... buying a whole new water pump might be something of an overkill unless it is seriously damaged in some way. Cheaper to replace the seal and O-ring inside it. Gaskets might be the culprit, also. There are two of them that can let coolant into the crankcase. First is the main gasket between the crankcase and the end cover, second is between the water pump and the end cover. Plus, there is one under the gallery across the top of the engine that carries both fuel mixture and coolant; this could let water into the crankcase via the cylinders - there is a trick to tightening the gallery down when the heads are replaced.
I'm speaking from bitter experience of having recently reconditioned one of these engines and then having to pull it out of the Gator three more times to address coolant leaks into the oil - in spite of replacing all the gaskets, seals and O rings (at huge cost from JD). The final time I reassembled the water pump to the engine I used a combination of Bostik Instant Gasket plus the gaskets...... so far so good.
Get the tech manual TM1518 - you WILL need it, and don't do any work on the engine without it.
Email me - chaz at farmside dot co dot nz if you want the part numbers for gaskets, etc.

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172849

I have this techinical manual now. It is kinda old but http://www.scribd.com/doc/8567778/Kawasaki-Gas-Engines is it the same? ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172850

http://rapidshare.com/files/338458124/Gator_Utility_Vehicles_4x2_And_4x6-TM1518.pdf

Just found the manual too.
I pulled the waterpump and it looks to be bad. The impellor has play which should mean that. Plus the gasket had a rip in it. I really don't want to replace the crankcase gasket as it looks like a bitch!! How do you pull the clutch anyways? ....

View my Photos
spyder

2010-08-06          172851

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec12 | view 172850
http://rapidshare.com/files/338458124/Gator_Utility_Vehicles_4x2_And_4x6-TM1518.pdfJust found the manual too. I pulled the waterpump and it looks to be bad. The impellor has play which should mean that.Plus the gasket had a rip in it. I really don't want to replace the crankcase gasket as it looks like a bitch!! How do you pull the clutch anyways?

You can either buy the tool from JD at exorbitant cost, or just use a long bolt with (IIRC) a 9/16 Fine thread... there are numerous references to both in this forum.
Replacing the crankcase gasket isn't really such a big job, as all you have to do is take the clutch off and take out a few bolts. Given the hassle I had with my engine, I'd definitely go the extra distance!

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172853

Any idea what the water pump number is? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-06          172855

Jspec, we're a "family" group here so we don't use language like that here re: b---ch.

How about clicking the edit button under your name and changing it to PIA which is acceptable (as long as it's not spelled out).

Or if a Moderator is so inclined they can do it. ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-06          172862

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 172855
Jspec, we're a "family" group here so we don't use language like that here re: b---ch. How about clicking the edit button under your name and changing it to PIA which is acceptable (as long as it's not spelled out). Or if a Moderator is so inclined they can do it.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I will be better in the future. I can't edit it from my phone. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-06          172865

Ah-ha. It looks like you need to have a membership; like me, I have a TP Contributor status so I can edit. And I too use my phone for my internet access. ....

View my Photos
spyder

2010-08-10          173002

Hi Jspec - just wondered how you are getting on with the water pump - have you bought a whole new pump? If so, did you buy it from JD or somewhere else and how much did it cost you? ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-10          173003

I picked it up at weingartz my local JD dealer. I just bought it new. I wanna say $66 plus another $10 for gaskets. I would have it back in and tested but I decided to paint treat and paint the rust spots and that is taking a moment. Should be in by tommorow night for testing. If it doesnt work out I will pick up the crankcase and head gaskets and do those too. Easy motor to work on so far :) ....

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-10          173004

Oh I forgot to mention. Go to Johndeere.com website and order it from there to be picked up at the dealer. The parts where 10 to 20% cheaper that way. Kinda strange but that is the case. ....

View my Photos
harleydon53

2016-05-31          195284

i have a 1999 gator with the 20hp kawasaki motor.would that repair manual you have be the same for mine.i have the same problem. coolent in my oil ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login