Go Bottom Go Bottom

4 x 2 Gator Secondary Clutch Rattles

View my Photos
mikett
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-07          167297

Just bought a 4X2 gas gator and the secondary clutch rattles while it is idling. The previous owner replaced the drive belt and the clutch buttons, and then the noise started. I have seen a couple of post that has alluded to this problem but no one has mentioned a fix. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-12-08          167343

The only way I have ever seen a driven clutch rattle is the rivets holding the sheave to the hub will loosen up, and the sheave rattles on the hub. A drive clutch can rattle when it gets worn inside and the moveable sheave will wobble around on the post of the stationary sheave, also the three bolts on the cover will loosen up and the cover will rattle. ....

View my Photos
mikett

2009-12-08          167346

The owners manual tells you to check the clutch wear pads and the buttons for wear, but nothing on replacing them. I pretty sure the previous owner put it back together wrong. I've seen some treads with people talking about rebuilding the secondary, but nothing on how to do it. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-12-08          167347

You can look at it and tell if it is together right. The only way you can get it completely apart is with a press, so I doubt if it was all the way apart. The only new parts that are available for them are the buttons. They ride on the helix angles. There are three that ride up the angles and three that are stops when the clutch is all the way open. In the normal state the buttons should be resting on the helix angles. There should be around 15 lb. tension on the spring when you try to move the sheaves in opposite directions. I've had them apart, but it's not easy getting them back together. And you definately need a press. ....

View my Photos
mikett

2009-12-08          167348

So the buttons can be changed without taking the clutch apart? I will check the buttons and make sure that they are all seated properly.
I have another question about the belt. When the engine is idling should the belt be jumping around? My understanding of how the drive works is that as the RPM's increase the belt is pulled lower in the back sheave producing more friction, and thus engaging the transaxle. Through out all of this the center distance stays the same so there should be some tension on the belt during idling and with the motor off. Do you know if this is correct or am I all wrong? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-12-08          167350

The buttons can be changed without taking the clutch apart, but you have to spread the clutch apart i.e. get the buttons away from the helix angles so you can work on them. I guess you could say the belt should be jumping around at idle, at least it should be turning at idle. You are pretty close on your assessment of the clutch. The drive clutch does the work and the driven clutch keeps the belt tight. Thats the simple way to say it. As rpms increase the rollers on the clutch spyder start riding up the flyweights and the belt starts riding out the drive clutch. Since the belt length is constant, the driven clutch will start to open. The way it opens is governed by the helix angles and the tension on the coil spring that is inside the helix. The angles and spring tension are tuned to the motor so the clutches shift out smoothly. So the purpose of the driven clutch is to keep tension on the belt so it doesn't slip. ....

View my Photos
mikett

2009-12-09          167379

Thanks for all the help. One last question again on the belt. I am thinking the belt may be the wrong size and that is why it is jumping around at idle. It is an industrial belt that is supposed to be an interchange. How tight should the belt be when not running? Right now you can easily take it on and off. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-12-09          167380

I've never seen an after market belt work on a Gator. You need a RE28721 belt. It will make a big difference. ....

View my Photos
mikett

2009-12-09          167382

I thought the belt might be wrong. I will pick a new one up. Thank you for all the help Gatoraider. ....

View my Photos
ashtonb2

2014-08-31          191012

I've got my secondary clutch rattling on my 6 x 4 gator when you accelerate. Smooth when idling and not as bad when going full steam ahead. I thought about replacing the clutch buttons to see if that fixes it. How to you spread the clutch apart to access the old buttons and put in new ones without taking the clutch apart? Thanks for any help. ....

View my Photos
Jamieporrok

2015-04-28          192671

Hey, my secondary just did that my rivets broke , is there anyway to fix it anybody out there know of an idea? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login