Go Bottom Go Bottom

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
cowboychris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-11-03          166705

I have an '01 4x2. The belt runs continuously, even when at idle. I have slowed the idle down almost to a stop, yet the belt still turn. I have removed the cover from the clutch and cleaned it out with compressed air, but this did not help. Can the clutch be adjusted? If so, how?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-03          166706

Not sure what machine you have, or what belt you refer to. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
cowboychris

2009-11-03          166707

Not sure of the model number but it is an '01 4x2 Gator. The belt I am referring to is the drive belt between the two clutches. I am pretty sure it is supposed to be stationary when the engine is at idle. Mine is not, which obviously makes it very difficult to engage the gears without grinding. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-11-04          166708

Your clutch will never stop turning, it is supposed to turn. Your transaxle is designed to shift into gear at 1100 RPM or less. If you are idling at around 1000 to 1050 RPM that is where you should be. When you shift from neutral, the shift operation should be crisp, don't try to ease it into gear. If you can't shift it with a hard stroke, you probably have some gear issues in the transaxle. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
cowboychris

2009-11-04          166710

OK - thanks Gatoraider. I should also note that if it is in gear at idle, it continues to roll forward. Is this an indication that the idle is too high? I used to stay put even if it was in gear. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-11-04          166711

Yes it probably should stay put, but they have such a small amount of roll resistance that it's not a big issue. I think the grinding is more important than the rolling. If you could find a tach, 1050 is a good idle RPM. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
cowboychris

2009-11-04          166712

I don't have a tach, but I can lower the rpm's a bit and see if it helps. The enginge is running really well - I can lower the rpm's so low that you can count the engine revolutions! ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-04          166723

cowboychris, we have about the same Model Gator and grinding is just a fact of lift at times it seems. Slow shifting is worse as gatorraider pointed out. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
cowboychris

2009-11-04          166727

I lowered the rpm's tonight and wow what a difference. It shifts into gear silky smooth! I may have lowered it too much because it stalled once going into reverse doing my afternoon feeding, but that can be remedied quite easily. Thanks so much for your (Gatoraider) help! ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
purplewg

2009-11-05          166739

Glad to hear you got it working cowboychris. I suspect your belt is still turning though even in neutral huh? Mine does and it is really idling low.

As far as this grinding goes. My shift collar was shot and I bought a new one from Tuff Torq. The new one has twice as many splines in it as the old one did. I suspect my rust bucket is a mid 90's model. It still goes right into gear if the idle is not too high. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
ROUP2009

2010-11-10          175054

Hi purplewg, you bought a new shift collar for your gator, can't find this part in the (John Deere - Parts Catalog) do you mean INPUT SHAFT, sending you a link from (John Deere - Parts Catalog) can you let me know what part number is the SHIFT COLLAR.
thanks!
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt ....

Link:   Clutch Adjustment

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
Grandpa

2011-03-06          177235

I got my 03 4 X 2 a couple of weeks ago. I also had the grinding problem when engaging forward and reverse. Although the idle seemed to be about the same as on my brother's 07 TS, I decided to lower the idle speed. I don't have a tach (sold all that stuff at my daughter's last yard sale), but I lowered it to what I suspect is about 700 or 800 rpm. This made a huge difference. Also, now I know to 'pop' it into gear, and not to try to ease it in. Even idled that low, it does not go dead when engaging gears. Thanks to all for the info. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
mgator

2018-02-03          197465

Hello, I own 5 A1 Military Gators and have had 3 others. I was a Master auto and truck tech 22 years. I need to say that this info gatoraider said is untrue. Your gator should NOT roll forward or "creep at all when idling. In fact. It is fully disengaged so you can actually get out of the machine like in neutral. (Recommend full park brake on.) The problem many have with grinding when attempting to put in gear forward or reverse is HIGH IDLE. Since the trans has NO syncros, it will grind when the idle is high. Simply turn down the idle until it stops grinding. You do NOT have gear problems, you should NOT have any forward pressure or creep. If you do your idle is too high. This is not my opinion, this is fact. Respectfully submitted, God bless you all. ....

Clutch Adjustment

View my Photos
mgator

2018-02-03          197466

Hello, I own 5 A1 Military Gators and have had 3 others. I was a Master auto and truck tech 22 years. I need to say that this info gatoraider said is untrue. Your gator should NOT roll forward or "creep at all when idling. In fact. It is fully disengaged so you can actually get out of the machine like in neutral. (Recommend full park brake on.) The problem many have with grinding when attempting to put in gear forward or reverse is HIGH IDLE. Since the trans has NO syncros, it will grind when the idle is high. Simply turn down the idle until it stops grinding. You do NOT have gear problems, you should NOT have any forward pressure or creep. If you do your idle is too high. This is not my opinion, this is fact. Respectfully submitted, God bless you all. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login