Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gator 6x4 Overheating problem

View my Photos
bogantz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-29          142584

My 6x4 is overheating. Radiator is full. Decided to replace the thermostat... Still overheating :-( Decided it must be the water pump as the radiator never gets warm (hence pump not pumping the hot water when thermostat opens)... Water pump looks/operates fine...
Not much else to fix/replace.

Anyone have an idea?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
coach20wins

2007-06-25          143183

Yes, please, send some help our way. I have the same problem. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Trying to make it through myself.
Coach ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-25          143188

Could the lower hose be collapsing when pump is pumping? Have you tried flushing the cooling system? Have seen tractor with cool radiator due to it being clogged. kt ....

View my Photos
jbjpam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-26          143234

The problem is the engine block is not completely full and the water is not getting to the pump yet.
Here is the solution.
At the top of the engine near the carburator is a small bolt.
12mm wrench I think. Remove the screw.
With the engine running, slowly fill the the hole with fluid. An old oil bottle with a pour spout works best. I had to fill mine a few times after running it for a while until the system is full. Never had a problem after that.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
coach20wins

2007-10-29          147512

Thanks for the help. My prolem is the fan won't kick in. Had it to the dealer in July and they replaced a switch or relay to the tune of $400. Now, it's overheating again. Dealer will repair at his cost, so thank goodness they stand behind it. I'll show them the water thing, but??
Coach ....

View my Photos
m_pact

2011-03-09          177293

Hello! i have a 6x4 that is overheating too! I have "drained the air" out of the block several times and still havent resolved my issue. there is a rubber line running from my water pump to the other side of the engine by the carb. my question is this. is this a vaccuum control line or is water supposed to flow through it? i took it off at the water pump side and antifreeze shot out for a second. I have no antifreeze in the oil. I replaced the thermastat. when i pull the "plug" by the carb antifreeze shoots everywhere so i know my pump is working. my radiator itself doesnt warm up. please advise....Thanks for helping me!!!! ....

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-09          177298

Did the thermostat have a small vent hole through the flange? Some thermostats come with the hole and should be mounted with the hole in the top most position. Some people will drill their own hole to help even out the heat cycles. Some engines will nearly overheat before the stat opens because the stat is in a cool zone or a bubble of air is behind it. With the hole, you won't get the temp spikes if this is your problem. A small engine might have a 1/16" hole and a v8 will have a 1/8". ....

View my Photos
Chamberlain1

2012-04-08          183064

Hi my gator is over heating the hoses get hot but the the return hose clappses the fan dosnt turn on wot can I do ....

View my Photos
Chamberlain1

2012-04-08          183065

Hi my gator is over heating the hoses get hot but the the return hose clappses the fan dosnt turn on wot can I do ....

View my Photos
sharkbait21

2014-07-04          190635

have a John Deere XUV 4 X 4 Diesel Gator.
The first few years the little Kawasaki engine performed flawlessly and the engine still starts and gives no trouble.
Then, the fan would kick on and the overheat warning light would come on followed by a loss of power and the engine dying until it cooled off. The next annual dealer service included their fix for the OVERHEATING PROBLEM. They changed the thermostat and replaced the water pump. That did not fix the problem. I took the machine back to them and the fix this time was: COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM.
After reading some on line fixes, I tried the air relief at the bolt behind the carburetor. This would help for about a week and then the problem would repeat even on a cold winter day. I tried several other John Deere dealers for a solution. The best they could come up with was there was air getting into the cooling system some way. I should look for a loose hose connection or leaking radiator. The Gator is parked on a cement slab and no leaking was ever detected. All of the hoses looked to be in great shape.
I finally found an old retired small engine repair mechanic and he guaranteed he would fix the problem for me. He did the usual air bleed at the engine (like I had done many times) and showed me how to tell of the water was circulating: “stand at the left front of the Gator with the hood open after the Gator has been warmed up. The with your hand facing forward slide you arm down until you can feel the bottom radiator hose”. If the hose is warm, the cooling fluid is circulating. If the hose is not warm then the water is not circulating. I figured the problem was fixed. But, the Gator overheated again as soon as I got it home. This overheating was occurring within a mile of travel.
When I talked to the shade tree mechanic again, he asked me if I was checking the cooling level by opening the radiator’s cap. I SAID YES. THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM HE SAID. EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE RADIATOR TO LOOK IN, YOU LET IN A SLUG OF AIR. He suggested I buy a new radiator cap and once again bleed the air at the engine. Then NEVER OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP UNLESS YOU ARE CHANGING THE FLUID.

His approved method of checking the cooling fluid is to look at the overflow tank. Keep the fluid between the two lines and make sure the rubber transfer hose is not sticking to the bottom of the tank and preventing fluid from sucking back into the system from the overflow tank. I replace the radiator cap and once again bleed the air out of the system. I made sure the overflow tank was between the lines and the return line was an inch off of the bottom of the tank.

I HAVE HAD NO FURTHER PROBLEMS FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS.

Happy Happy Happy

View my Photos
spyder

2014-07-09          190679

From bitter experience, I can confirm that a simple thing like the radiator cap can cause some confusing overheating issues! ....

View my Photos
Farming4life

2017-04-05          196471

Do you know for sure the rad fan works? My rad fan wasn't working at all. I put a direct 12 volts to the fan and it didn't work so I went out bought a brand new fan but it keeps over heating, my next step is to figure out if the pump is working because the rad was cool with no heat to it at all. So if you know for sure the pump works try the fan. And if you have any ideas for me about how to see if the pump is working let me know. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2017-04-05          196472

Radiator has to be hot for the fan to work. You need to bleed the air out of the system. Bleeder screw is beside the 90 degree carb neck. open the screw and fill the radiator until fluid comes out. When full, tighten screw and continue filling radiator. If the radiator is full and there is nothing coming out of the hole, you will have to fill the hole with fluid yourself. Radiator should get hot in a few minutes, if it doesn't, check the bleeder again and fill. Keep doing until radiator gets warm........... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login