Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD F525 keeps dying yet keeps startiing makes for long day

View my Photos
jd525510
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-02          163126

The mowing intervals have been getting shorter. I have no consistent clue after trying to analyze ...such as Uphill? turning too quick? i.e...(dirty fuel tank residue moving around?)
I can drive around without mower engaged and it will run forever. Can a faulty coil get hot and cause a "stop" engine event? Grasping at straws here. Kawasaki engine.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-02          163128

If that's the front-mower garden tractor, is it a sudden cutoff like an electrical safety tripped, or does it first lug and slow like an overloaded engine? When it stops or is about to, can you keep it going by disconnecting the blade-drive? Right after it stops, is anything on the mower hot, and do the blades turn freely? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-02          163130

Can you correlate it to temperature? Does it run longer on a cool day than a hot one? On a car I once owned a faulty coil caused exactly those symptoms on a hot day and a new coil fixed it. But that was a car from the 70s and the ignition system on your Kawasaki engine may be quite different.

My first inclination on any sort of rapid intermittent behavior is that it's electrical. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-06-02          163133

If your machine has a 'deadman' switch which kills the engine if you get up out of the seat with the mower engaged, check its operation.

They are usually just a simple push button stuck into a cheap plastic case under the seat.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jd525510

2009-06-03          163149

To Auerbach: Yes it does the overloaded engine trick...and if I stop blades quickly it will still run. The blades turn freely...I have not checked temps on any parts.

After I posted the original message, I decided to buy the JD CD version of the Tech manual...it also includes the F510 (which I also own for bagging grass). And my friend who was an aircraft mechanic is intrigued enough to help me sort this out.....he brought his huge Zero Turn mower over to help me keep up with grass....

I will check the "kill switch" as suggested. We are ruling out so far the electrical system....hoping it is in the fuel pump pressure area.

This Website is exceptional. Congratulations to the folks who run this service.

I will post results of our detective work in hopes that it will help someone else who "enjoys" these old machines. ....

View my Photos
snatty1970

2010-08-01          172744

I have JD F525 with same issue. Runs perfect until I engage mower PTO. Engine dies less than a minute of mowing. When problem showed up it would run for about 10 minute intervals and now it dies within a minute or so. Did you or anyone ever come to a conclusion what may be causing this problem? ....

View my Photos
mowitt

2010-08-21          173342

My F510 had the same issue, by jumping the safety switch at the brake pedal the mower would work. The proper cure was a new electrical relay. Good Luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login