Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
Ed_Mackey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-29          84671

Bought it used 10 years ago and use less than 50 hours per year. It's run great up til now. Was cutting high grass and it started to sputter..as if running out of gas (but tank was at least half full). Now it wont start. Cleaned water seperator and front fuel filter. Drained fuel and added new fuel, still wont start..just cranks fast. Any ideas before I call the JD doctor..?? many thanks

Ed

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-29          84684

If it cranks faster than normal it may have lost compression. If that's the case it would be real good if the engine has a compression release since that might be a nice easy and cheap fix. Checking for a valve that's hung open might be another not too bad fix.

You might want to check if the injectors are getting fuel. There are several types of pump/governor problems that could be the explanation. Favourite mystery explanations are clogged fuel tank internal screens and clogged fuel caps but those don't sound like the explanation here. Especially if it gave off black smoke when before it quit you might check for intake manifold obstructions.

Generally a diesel runs if it has fuel, air, compression and timing. Other members likely can suggest other simple things to check. ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84692

Sounds to me like a strong possibility that the fuel filter became clogged and starved the injector pump and hence the engine for fuel. You have already done the steps of replacing the fuel filter, clean bowl, and good fuel. Are you getting good smoke when you crank the engine???? If NO; try bleeding the fuel line up to the injection pump and then up to the fuel injectors. If they were starved for fuel, they probably are air contaminated and the injection pump cannot push the fuel through the lines. Even if you are getting some smoke, there may not be enough fuel getting to the cylinders to fire. If you are not sure how to bleed the injectors; let me know and I can go over this with you. Also check to ensure no debry is blocking any pickup screens/strainers in the fuel tank. ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
ed mackey

2004-04-29          84720

TomG and Chief,
I didnt think to check the color of the smoke when it cranks, but I did notice it cranks faster than normal although it always started right away. So I'll look to see if there is a compression release. I havent got a clue on how to bleed the injectors, so I'll investigate these things after work today and continue this saga tomorrow. meantime, thanks for the assist...

Ed ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-30          84767

I think Chief's fuel explanation is the best place to start. The compression idea is likely only if the starter is spinning noticeably faster than usual and even then it'd be good to verify that the engine is getting fuel. I wouldn't look too hard for a compression release since the tractor may not have one.

Bleeding fuel lines should use procedures described in a manual. There are some safety issues since injector lines may contain high-pressure even when a tractor is off. The basic idea is to bleed the fuel lines first and then the injector lines if needed. Generally, all bleed ports on the filter bowl are opened and the tank valve is opened until bubbles stop coming out of the bowl. The valve is shut off and the process is repeated for the injector pump. It can take several times. Injector lines are bled by cracking a fitting at the engine and cranking the engine with the hand throttle open. That's also a check for fuel delivery. The smoke question was when the engine was still running. ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
Ed_Mackey

2004-04-30          84775

I read the operators manual and it said that this is a "self bleeding" system. not sure what that really means. While poking around, and following the fuel lines,I noticed an oil filler cap at what I think is the injector pump. I opened the cap and noticed that there was no oil in this sump. I took my dipstick and went as far as I could into this thing and it showed what I would think to be virtually empty. I cranked it and saw that the gear inside this oil sump was spining... So, I'm guessing that this could have something to do with the problem. I plan on getting the proper oil for it today at the JD dealer here and see if I can talk to a mechanic re:this. will kepp you posted. Also, I ordered the "repair" book for the 1070..

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
bmocad
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-30          84814

The 70 series tractors have electric shut off. If you lost power to the pump it would not run or start. ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-01          84843

I keep forgetting that some tractors had self-bleeding systems even 10 years or more ago. I've never been clear if 'self-bleeding' includes the injector lines but an owner's manual should clear it up. The issue is that if there's too much air in an injector line then it will compress and the injector may not develop enough pressure to open. How a self-bleeding system would clear air in an injector line seems mysterious--maybe the lines are short enough so it can't happen.

My Ford has an oil fill for the injector pump. New oil is added at oil changes just to clear old oil out of the pump. The pump is fed from the engine but I think I have heard of pumps that aren't fed from the engine. Anyway, the pump oil level might be normal and the manual should clear up the issue. Sounds like it would be good to verify that fuel is being delivered to the injectors. A fuel shut-off solenoid sure could be an explanation. If it has one, there should be a click when the key is turned on. ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
Ed+Mackey

2004-05-01          84907

I went to the JD dealer to get oil..and found out that the pump doesnt take oil..it uses what it needs from the crank case. The service manager said there is no earthly reason why there is an oil filler cap at the injector pump. he said to push the plunger on the injector pump several times to get the air out and I may need to crack the nuts at where the injectors are. Also, he said it may take several cranks to get it started.
So, when I got home, I pushed the plunger many times and it started...but it died after about 20 seconds like it did in the field a few nights ago...plushed it again and the same thing happend. So, I'm not sure whet my nex move will be. It's like it burns just a little bit of fuel and quits..(injector pump..??) I'll check to see if all the pump connections are ok..

Thanks again..
Ed ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-02          84949

I've never had to bleed the injector lines on my Ford, which isn't self-bleeding. The pump is very sensitive to air in the fuel lines and I've had to bled it repeatedly to get all the air out and I hear that injector lines can be worse.

If I haven't gotten all the air out it does pretty much as you describe. It runs very reluctantly for about 20 seconds, makes gray smoke and won't take throttle to get the rpm up. Then it quits and I bled it some more--I have come up with better procedures so it doesn't happen much any more.

You might just keep at it, and it'd good to check for line obstructions such as a clogged internal tank screen (if it has one). ....

JD 1070 Problem

View my Photos
Ed_Mackey

2004-05-03          85031

Problem fixed...
My son-in-law (a toyota car mechanic) came over and said "lets try pushing the plunger 40+ times"...that's what we did and while it was starting to start, he continued to push it a few more times..It started and kept going..used it for about 5 minutes (it was raining)and put it up for the night. So, my conclusion is that there was probably either water in the line or some obstruction that worked it's way out..then it was a matter of getting the air out ..of this "self bleeding" system..

Thanks for the suggestions and hanging in with me..

Ed (Charlotte,nc) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login