Go Bottom Go Bottom

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
jdmaine
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-11          100237

I had to join after reading the posting about the 4200 that does not always start. I bought this tractor in the spring with 230Hrs and it has run great until a month ago when it just will not start at times. This week it will not start at all. It cranks over just fine but acts like it is not getting fuel. Two JD dealers said they have never heard of this problem with such low hours. After I saw the posting suggesting the fuel valve solenoid I called a third JD dealer and they confirmed this is a known problem. I'll pull it this weekend and check it out.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-12          100263

Both times my 2 Yanmar engines did this was fall/winter season change with high humidity and cold temps. the first needed no repairs, just wd 40, the second,my 4300 hasn't done it again and I didn't lube it yet. I'm waiting to see if it does it again. Let me know how you make out. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-12          100281

jdmaine, I have a jd 110tlb, had two as a matter of fact. They have the 4 cyl 43 hp yanmar and I would say the same electronics. My first went back after 15 hours and 5 brake downs never to be seen again, the second broke down in 3 hours.Twice on the first machine was the selanoid, no loud clunck just a tick. Then it was sensors in the trap door under the stearing colume. The second machine was sensors too. It now has 218 or so hours and no problems with electric. It's kinda scary when you back out into a road and it quits right on the center line. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-13          100290

Just my thought. B4U start chasing expensive stuff have you did the basics? Water? Fuel filter? Other stuff that might cause a fuel blockage?

Water or moisture is the most often cause of starting problems on these and is the most over looked. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
jdmaine

2004-11-13          100304

Today pulled the solenoid back and tractor started right up. Pulled the solenoid out and the shaft was frozen and full of a very black grease. I cleaned the shaft several times with WD40 and worked the grease out and it works fine. Does anyone know if this grease is old diesel buildup? Ran the tractor all day and got some chores done. Thanks for all the suggestions and what a great web site! ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-13          100306

I don't believe it is diesel, if the black stuff could be diesel, you would have leakage all over the place, and black stuff everywhere, not just a shaft that has no access to diesel. Glad you got it working. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-14          100322

Well, my 4300 failed to start today. Clicking the key several times got no solenoid action. Glad I don't have huge fingers, pulling the bugger was a tight fit. I think I know what your thick black grease was, Motor oil. I didn't realize it was internally mounted to the injection pump, My others are divorced and move a lever on the pump. When I pulled mine, there was an O-ring gasket and a little motor oil ran out. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-14          100324

While it was out, I operated the key several times. The shaft pulled back momentarily, then pushed out again. It was full of motor oil, normal looking, not thick or greasy. I decided to push hard with my finger on the shaft. About 1 teaspoon of oil ran out and the thing worked fine after that. I put it back in and ran it numerous times. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-14          100325

One or both of us may have a problem if these are the same pumps. I have a feeling they are supposed to have oil around the shaft but not behind the solenoid preventing it from working. If they are to have oil why doesn't yours. I am lucky enough to have a Yanmar repair tech just up the road and I will be asking him for a non JD opinion. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
jdmaine

2004-11-14          100331

To denwood, When your Yanmar tech fills you in let me know what is going on. Good thing I can get this going myself because I can't get any JD techs to make house calls. Seem like they want just easy jobs back at the shop. These solenoid assys seem like a problem that JD needs to address. My tractor ran all day today. I'm back in business. Thanks ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-18          100524

I spent some time with the tech. He even had a similar Yanmar but with 4 cyl on his bench to show me. There is supposed to be some oil present inside where the solenoid bolts on. He said when one runs without the solenoid in place, a little oil spritzes around but should not flow out. Yours should not be dry inside, or grease-like. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-18          100525

He also said the oil should not have gone back in behind my solenoid, preventing it from working. A new one runs around $80 or so, based on another similar one he had in stock, he couldn't look it up, new book had not arrived yet. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-18          100526

Another interesting thing he told me. He isn't allowed to order John Deere parts even though they are Yanmar off the shelf engines. He has to cross reference the part to just yanmar and order that for John deere owners. Thanks John Deere. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-18          100527

I also asked about turning up the horse power. A simple chip can turn up a Cummins 30+% safely. How about just a 10% boost for a Yanmar. That would give 4300 owners the same power as a 4400, they are the same tractor, just different engines. He said no problem for 15%. These engines in power unit applications have been lasting 20,000 hours. More is possible but will risk tractor more. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
jdmaine

2004-11-21          100673

I just got back from hunting in the north Maine woods. Hit a very large flat rack deer in the chest and it got up after a few minutes and took off thru the wips. We tracked blood for 5 hours and spent 2 days looking but no luck. Wish we had snow. These big deer are very tough! Did you say I can order that solenoid through Yanmar? My dealer wants $104. I'll run with the cleaned up original until it fails again. Seems to be acting fine right now. Thanks. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100681

Yeah, I had a problem like that with a deer. I was young and listened to the old timers, "let is sit for a while and stiffen up" blah, blah, blah. It sat for a while regained its senses and took off. We tracked blood and hair for hours, no luck. I should have finished it immediatly. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100682

as for the 4300, mine failed again so I broke down and bought one. To heck with the JD dealer and the $105.xx for theirs. I got one at the Yanmar dealer for $83.08. Model#: 1503ES-12S5SUC5S, part#: 119653-77950. The old one was M#: 1503ES-12S5SUC12S, part#: 119233-77931. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100683

Only noticable difference was the plug end, I had to solder my old one on, no big deal, 10 minutes, solder, liquid electrical tape, real elect tape, done. Worked great all day. They are both made by Syncro Start, WWW.SSPL.COM, phone 847-967-7730 if you feel the need to check that they are interchangable. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-21          100684

I have been posting multiple times to insure you can read all. If you can spare the $20.00, you may want to consider the premium membership. I did and really enjoy it much more than before I had it. Some people have lots of ggod stuff to say and the 4300 has numerous glitches that have been discussed. You can search to see them all. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
jdmaine

2004-11-22          100765

Thanks for splitting up the posts. I do plan on joining but need to get around to it. Getting ready for winter around here. Thanks for the part #s. Those will be real handy. How do you like your 4300 and what is it used for? I have a 200 yr. old barn where the frost heaves had pushed out the granite. I dug around the granite with the backhoe, jacked the barn, replaced the sills, pulled the granite back in place, and put in drainage. This summer I saved $15K +. The tractor is paying for itself. I feel good about this purchase. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-23          100873

I love this tractor, and I have operated and owned many. I use it for loading, lifting,wheelbarrow, mowing, leveling, firewood, everything except backhoe work. I have a dedicated machine for that, check out my pictures. Once you use a track hoe, nothing else even comes remotely close, and I have owned a full size backhoe, 3 point hoe, and skidloader hoe. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-25          100998

Denwood - i see you have a kubota. So why did you buy a JD? Then you would have had this problem. ....

My 4300 will not start

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-25          101007

I buy the finest item manufactured in a catagory without brand loyalty. The Kubota wheel loader is without equal let alone a better. Yanmar is a nice wheel loader but not the features. Kubota tractors in the mid frame catagory like the JD are not even close in loader capacity which is really BREAKOUT power, the loaders are harder to take off and on (and I hate cheesy loader kickstands), the brakes are on the wrong side and I like the 2 pedal set up over the tredle. I really could not budget a new one and Kubota engineers must have been smoking the Japanese version of pot when they designed the loader valve to come off with the loader (on the used older models) as if no one would like to use it on something else.I did demo a few Kubotas and I love them too just not as much. Also if you can't trust Yanmar, you can't trust Kubota ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login