JAPANESE or CHINESE: Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat  -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JAPANESE or CHINESE: Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-12-2004, 21:38 Post: 93375
Travis_R

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

What would you do? I am in need of opinions and FACTS.

I could purchase a YM2000 2wd Yanmar for $3900 USED from a dealer out of state (Mississippi) which is 80 miles one way from my house here in Livingston, LA.

OR

I could purchase a Farm Pro 2420 for $3500.00 NEW from a Farm Pro dealer, which is also an Authorized Farm Pro Sevice Dealer, that is about 8 miles one way from my house.

I have posted this same discussion at another tractor discussion website in the Yanmar forum. The results I got were go with the Yanmar. Maybe because it was in the Yanmar forum. I don't know. I did get real good advice though, just like I hope to get here.

Which tractor do ya'll think that will last longer, Chinese or Japanese?

PLEASE KEEP THE ANSWERS VERY SHORT, OR MAKE 2 OR MORE POSTS TO GIVE ME YOUR ANSWERS. IF IT IS TOO LONG, IT WON'T LET ME READ THEM BECAUSE I WILL HAVE TO PAY $20 TO "UPGRADE" SO I CAN READ ALL OF THE POSTS.

Thanks,
Travis

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

08-12-2004, 22:35 Post: 93379
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

Very solid machine, but I got rid of my YM240 (US version of the YM2000) after three years; parts were too expensive. Would you believe $60 for a simple three wire ignition switch? I've owned two Chinese tractors since. Dealer problems on the first one, not the tractor's fault. Second one is a winner.

Having said that, I'll speculate that Japanese tractors will generally last longer than the current grade of Chinese that are being imported. But Chinese parts are one helluva lot cheaper - and don't usually take any longer to obtain. Matter of fact, I think you'll find more parts available more quickly for say - a FarmPro 2425 (Jinma 254) - than you would for the YM2000.

//greg//

08-12-2004, 22:49 Post: 93381
bill
2004-08-12 00:00:00
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

What are you using it for? Have you checked the classifieds and all other dealers in area? Their are a lot of good used tractors around. How do the dealers compare? Warrenties, Parts?

08-13-2004, 09:11 Post: 93409
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

In another thread some one asked a corollary type question.

Would you buy a used Corolla or Accord over a new Yugo?

08-13-2004, 11:05 Post: 93412
Travis_R

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

I will be using the tractor for mainly brush hogging (grass)about 4-5 acres. Will definitely be purchasing a brush hog and box blade for light grading with the tractor. Possibly later on add a set of discs and a finishing mower.

Now don't get me wrong, the tractor will be a "working" tractor. But, it is more of a hobby tractor. I won't just have it for nothin'. It WILL be used.

The dealer, Liberty Tractor in Mississippi, seems like they want to work with me on it. 1Year Powertrain warranty (parts/labor) Parts support, mechanics, but also, 80 miles away. YM2000, Brush hog, box blade all for $4500-$4800 PLUS TAX. JUST the tractor for $3900 Plus Tax.

The Farm Pro Dealer, Action Equipment in Livingston LA, are very friendly also. The dealer told me that I won't be disappointed with my purchase from them. They are very friendly also. Being a Authorized Service Dealer and only 7 miles from my house is a BIG plus too. They have been there for 3 years and I don't know if they will be there in the future. Thats why its such a hard decision. Farm Pro 2420, brush hog, box blade all for $4100-$4300 PLUS TAX. JUST the tractor for $3500 Plus Tax. Come to think of it, I have NEVER been to their dealership since they have been there. Thats a shame. We have only had phone conversations.

Now with all this said, what would you do?

08-13-2004, 11:23 Post: 93413
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

There seems to be indecision over which dealer to go through and it seems to me that there is no real winner over the make of tractor or the dealer. That said, it seems obvious to me to go with the make from the closer dealer (8 vs 80 miles). If, in your mind, you counter my post by saying: "Yes, but I would rather have the Jap machine then you have a preferance for a machine/dealer and should buy that machine, since the Chinese machine is obviously not the one you want.

08-13-2004, 13:18 Post: 93421
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

There's an important horsepower difference between the FarmTrac 2420 (20 hp) and the YM2000 (25 hp) that I don't think you're taking into consideration. That's why I compared the FarmPro2425/Jinma 254 (25 hp) with the YM2000. Given the chance to compare the two side by side, the lightweight 25 hp Yanmar will outperform the comparatively heavy FarmPro 20 hp simply on a horsepower to weight basis.

If you're considering Chinese, first first thing to do is ignore the unnecessary Yugo crack. Then set your sites a little higher than a 2420 if you want a fair comparison with the YM2000

//greg//

08-13-2004, 13:50 Post: 93422
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

If a chinese tractor is anything like my chinese chipper it will be simple, rugged, functional, and require a fair number of maintenance hours to keep it going.

08-13-2004, 13:52 Post: 93423
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

Travis R, unless you are willing and able to perform more than periodic maintenance and product design modification; I STRONGLY suggest that you reconsider your decision to buy a Chinese tractor. Not trying to bad mouth them but it IS a fact of life that they require more than a little preventative and breakage maintenance than the more established brand machines. They are NOT for a novice or UNmechanically inclined owner. They are also VERY basic gearshift trans. tractors. That having been said; for the owner who is a competent mechanic and does not mind some periodic repairs and up keep. These tractors are just their thing. They are nearly half the price of the more established brands and can do many tasks. Their resale value is nearly non-existent so be sure you plan to keep the machine before you buy. The Yanmar "grey market" tractors are good machines but difficult to guage if the particular model you have in mind is mechanically sound. Many are cleaned up and repainted used imports and have MANY hours of hard use on them. If you prefer the Yanmar tractors and want a SOLID machine that comes with a warranty at a VERY good price; take a look at the John Deere 790 new or used. There are lots of older Kubota L Series tractors out there that are VERY fine machines. A Kubota L245DT is one that comes to mind or one of the newer versions. The Chinese tractors are not for everyone but for some they are bargain machines that fulfill a niche at a very good price. I suggest you demo ALL of the brands you are considering and research a bit on reliability as well as dealer logistical support and then go with the brand and dealer that met your needs and expectations best.

08-13-2004, 14:00 Post: 93425
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JAPANESE or CHINESE

With all due respect Chief, you've just walked completely away from the point of Travis's question. When comparing the advantages/disadvantages between owning/operating/maintaining a NEW Chinese versus and OLD Japanese - they BOTH require continuing maintenance. Trust me. I've been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

If you keep this thread to a Chinese versus Japanese discussion, it's less likely to get out of hand.

//greg//

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat Forum

Thread 93375 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 3 | apark1 1 | Archdean 1 | bill 2 | Chief 7 | chipuren 4 | DAVID SWANSON 1 | denwood 1 | DRankin 2 | gerald b. 1 | greg_g 12 | Harryg 1 | jamesrm1 1 | johnfundy 1 | kwschumm 5 | mscott6799 1 | oneace 4 | Travis_R 5 |

Most Viewed

+ Jinma Tractors Are They Worth It???
+ Jinma 284 Ammeter 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing
+ JAPANESE or CHINESE
+ Rebuild Yang Dong Y385 Tractor Engine Settings Man
+ Anyone use a Jinma chipper?
+ Jinma 224 Loader does not lift or tilt
+ Farm Pro 2420 won't start
+ Farm Pro 2425 4WD working?
+ Jinma 200 LE tractor dies will not start
+ SHould i buy a JInma

Most Discussion