Go Bottom Go Bottom

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-10-18          191232

After replacing my fuel injection pump I can't get the engine to light off.
Had the pump off for several weeks and was doing other things on the engine. The drive gear for the pump floats around kind of freely without the pump installed. Is it possible I mis-timed the pump drive?

The "o" marks on the gear driven by the crankshaft are visible with the #1 cylinder at the 18 degree BTDC mark on the crankshaft pulley but there is no corresponding mark on the pump drive gear lined up where one would think it should be. The only mark I found on the pump drive gear is a diamond shaped stamping with a couple of text characters in it about 8 teeth off.

Should the diamond mark line up between the o's?

If I can figure out how I posted pictures on here last time I have one and will post it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-10-18          191233

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Y485 Injection Timing

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
MontyJones

2014-10-19          191236

Steve: I have a 2007 Jinma 354 with Yangdong 4-cyl engine. While I had the front cover off due to an oil leak, I checked injector timing before it was disturbed and found a situation similar to what you describe. Marks on crank, cam and idler were good but injector was one tooth off. As a cross check, I did the timing test according to the manual and found that the actual timing was 16 degrees BTDC with the Injector drive gear one tooth off. There was not enough adjustment in the slotted bolt holes in the gear to compensate for a full tooth off and the injector pump (slotted holes here too) was pretty well set in place due to pipe connections. It looks like the factory put the engine together based on actual timing. I marked the blank gear tooth and put it back together as I found it. It runs fine but starts better when cold with timing at 15 degrees.
Monty ....

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-10-19          191238

Thanks Monty. I'm not suprised to see things not 'by the book' but 8 teeth off seemed a bit much. My concern was that I caused it by turning the engine over with the pump removed. The pump drive gear floats around in there rather freely.

I'll check the timing again by the book. Getting unburned fuel out the exhaust, jsut won't light off. ....

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924

2015-07-03          193052

Been away from my project for quite a while but now getting back to it.
Started from scratch and set the pump timing but ran into two problems.
First, How can you tell when the "...fuel just starts to rise in the #1 port"? It only puts out a few drops at a time and to make it more difficult, it doesn't seem to put anything out unless I'm rotating the engine about as fast as I can with a socket & breaker bar on the crank pulley nut. Rotating it slowly doesn't seem to give me any consistent output.
Second, is the timing supposed to be at 16 BTDC? The manual lists 10 at 3000 RPM (with advance device), 18 at 2800, 16 at 2600 & 15 at 2400. Figured 16 would at least get it to start for me.

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
MontyJones

2015-07-05          193062

Steve: Since the injector pump output is very small you need to remove the input pipe to #1 injector, loosen it at the pump input and temporarily add 3-4" of rubber hose to the open end. Now wire it up temporarily so that it is vertical and level at the top. Fill the hose with clean diesel fuel and turn the engine over slowly while watching the fluid that is level with the top of the hose. Due to surface tension, you will see the fluid level begin rise above the hose when the injector begins o fire. Its a small movement but this will give very accurate results. Call a good dealer for injector timing for your engine. There are several differences in Y485 configuration that may cause timing to be changed a degree or two. Good Luck!

Monty ....

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924

2015-07-06          193068

Thanks Monty, I'll give it a shot. ....

Y485 Injection Timing

View my Photos
stevek924

2015-09-06          193587

Finally - Got it started! Took your advice but had to modify it a bit. Still was having a hard time seeing the output point so I used decreasing sizes of vinyl tubing into a small syringe that I picked up at the local pharmacy. That did it, the small amount of fuel showed up better in the narrow diameter syringe body.
It took a bit of coaxing but it finally fired off. First time its ran in 5+ years. Ran it a couple of times for a few minutes each time. It smoothed out by the third run and started easier each time. I even have output on the generator.

Now I have to fix all the fuel leaks. I had all the fuel system entirely apart with the pump change and I pulled the injectors out to unstick them and clean them up and it appears just about every crush washer in the system is leaking, even after tightening everything again (as far as I dared).

Anyone have a lead on a supplier for crush washers?

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login