Go Bottom Go Bottom

Y485 Fuel flooding my Fuel Injection Pump

View my Photos
stevek924
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-08-10          190884

I don’t have a Chinese tractor but I am in possession of a Yangdong Y485 engine (as best I can figure that is, the one & only data plate is in Chinese) and am in need of some troubleshooting assistance. I am a true novice concerning diesel engines in general and Chinese diesels in particular. There seems to be a lot of knowledge in this forum.
Long story short – bought a generator powered by the aforementioned Y485. The previous owner had a problem with the solenoid that holds the shutoff lever in the run position and somehow ended up pulling the rear cover off the fuel injection pump governor section (I’m sure there’s a long story in there also). That’s where his troubleshooting stopped.

I fixed the solenoid problem (bad wire), located and installed a new fuel pump since I had no idea what piece parts may have been lost from the one that was there, changed the oil and coolant, rebuilt the water pump, and today cranked it up for the first time.
This is where my problem starts; I used the priming pump and got fuel out of the forward bleed port just below the output line fittings. I gave it a few more pumps with the bleed port closed off and got fuel out of the banjo fitting that the injector return line attaches to on the aft side of the output manifold block. In hindsight this may not have been a good sign.
I cranked it over about three times, for about 10 to 15 seconds each time, it did not start. What it did do was start dripping (spewing is probably a better term) fuel out of the overflow tube for the lube oil in the pump. It was also dripping fuel from the bottom of the mating surface of the two halves of the governor housing.
I pulled the oil drain plug from the pump and got about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of a fuel/oil mixture. Replenished the oil in the pump, just to the lower line on the dipstick, and cranked it two more times. Again, both times for about 10 seconds each and again, no light off. Checked the oil level in the pump and it was up the top line at the top of the little dipstick. Again, a mixture of fuel and oil.
One last time I drained and refilled the oil in the pump and this time when I cranked it I loosened the fuel lines at the injectors. Got absolutely no fuel at the injectors but did fill up the pump body again.

Now for some background, the pump I bought had some differences from the one I took off. Internal min/max speed adjustments on the new one as opposed to external, different vent on the governor section, the fuel shut off arm was 180 out (pointed outboard on the new one as opposed to pointing inboard on the original), and the boss that houses the shaft seal on the mating flange of the new one was about 2” in diameter as opposed to about 1” on the original.
I don’t see the vent & adjustments as much to worry about. The shut off arm problem was solved by repositioning the solenoid. Fortunately for me the previous owner had replaced the solenoid with the wrong type. He installed a pull solenoid instead of a push which was the original configuration. The biggest opportunity I see for my screwing something up was having to swap the pump mounting flange from the old one to the new one to get it to mate with the engine. That went pretty smooth, everything lined up perfectly and I didn’t have to force anything into positon.

I’m at a loss. No output to the injectors is a big problem but not as big as the internal leakage.
Could I have ruptured an internal diaphragm, or blown out an internal seal with the priming pump? I do have the old pump that I would try and use as a donor if there is something I could try to resolve the issue. Returning the purchased pump is not an option, if it comes to that I’m looking a buying another one.

Can anyone out there offer some advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-08-11          190897

Wow ... you have so much going on there all at once, that is a tough one. Can you add some pictures? ....

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-08-11          190898

Thanks for the response Minimac. It'll be Saturday before I can get some pictures but I'll post them as soon as I can. Anything in particular you want to see? ....

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-08-16          190924

Pictures.
One side shot of the engine/generator and a second one showing where I'm getting the fuel leaking out when it fills up the body of the pump.
The curved tube (circled, forward) dumps excess oil from the pump body overboard. In my case it dumps the fuel/oil mix.
Was also leaking from the governor section mating flange just aft of the drain plug (circled, aft). ....

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-08-16          190925

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Y485 Fuel flooding my Fuel Injection Pump

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-08-16          190926

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Y485 Fuel flooding my Fuel Injection Pump

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-08-22          190975

Bump! Anyone have an idea on this? ....

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-08-25          190995

Swapped out the priming pump form the old unit. Other than an internal leak that was the only point I could figure where fuel could transfer to the pump body.

No joy, still filling the pump body with fuel after about 20 seconds of cranking.

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-09-19          191092

Made one good pump out of two bad ones, have the original unit installed. No more flooding the pump body with fuel.
Cleaned the injectors and now have fuel to the cylinders but no light off.
Next step - adjust the timing. Other projects on the front burner but this is high on the list. Will post progress in case anyone is interested. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-09-19          191093

Hey glad you are making progress keep us posted ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-10-10          191190

The priming pump only pushes fuel as far as the input to the injection pump, and then only if vented enough to flow. Getting fuel from the IP to the injectors involves cracking the hex collars at the injectors, and turning the engine over. It sounds like back pressure from the injectors is forcing fuel past the IP pistons and into its sump. In otherwords, the fuel is going down instead of up. But at this point you may actually have damaged/destroyed the little piston seals. They act just like piston rings on an internal combustion engine. But in a Chinese pump, that's a problem.

That said - if the pump was used when you installed it - there's a chance that those piston seals were bad already.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
stevek924

2014-10-18          191231

Problem solved. To make a long story short - made one good one out of two bad ones.
Getting fuel to the cylinders now but it's not lighting off.
Starting a new thread on injection timing. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login