Rear Axle Lock / Unlock: Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat  -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Rear Axle Lock / Unlock: Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-24-2010, 21:55 Post: 170277
tomzah

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Well thanks to all the advice given I bought the Farm Pro 2420xl 2WD with the 380t engine. I was reading an online manual which stated there was a differential lock/unlock on the right back by the seat. I cannot find such a lever and thought maybe that was for 4WD tractors only.??
And could someone tell me if the hand throttle lever should stay in place or must I hold it forward all the time. So far its been a lot of fun tinkering with this baby..
tp

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-24-2010, 22:40 Post: 170278
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Don't know that brand but diff locks are more useful on 2 than on 4WD models.

Only the foot throttle should come to idle when released; the hand one should stay where you set it. Some are held by a friction disk or washer, which can need replacing or adjusting.

04-24-2010, 23:53 Post: 170279
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

The diff lock is a hand-operated lever to the right of and slightly behind the seat, beneath the hydraulic lift lever. Pretty sure up is engage, down is disengage. Understand however, that it will not engage unless an axle is moving (usually one tire spinning). You should hold it up by hand to ensure it remains engaged until you regain traction. And use it only in a straight line (don't turn the steering wheel). Turning with the diff-lock engaged can break stuff. When you get out of whatever situation caused you to need diff lock, simply let go of the lever. It should disengage on its own. If in doubt, push it back down by hand. Then you can turn the steering wheel again.

The hand throttle should stay in whatever position you leave it. If it doesn't, there's an adjustment in the linkage. Look for a knuckle with a round nylon friction disc in the center. Pretty sure it's in front of and slightly to the left of the brake pedals. Tighten the hex nut till the disc holds the hand throttle in place. Take care not to over-tighten.

//greg//

04-25-2010, 01:16 Post: 170280
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Greg, I'm curious. And I know you know what you're talking about.

My New Holland uses a foot-operated diff lock. Heel pressure on the control pushes a lever and when the clutch inside is aligned it drops down a bit; letting off the lever it pops back up when things inside align just right (no load or binding condition)

The manual says do not engage the lock while the wheels are spinning saying come to a complete stop first.

That said, and assuming all diff locks work the same (dunno--maybe they don't) is it really a good idea for him to engage while under power; wouldn't that break things?

04-25-2010, 07:26 Post: 170281
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 170280
That said, and assuming all diff locks work the same (dunno--maybe they don't) is it really a good idea for him to engage while under power; wouldn't that break things?

All diff locks do not in fact work the same EW. FarmPro tractors are rebadged Jinmas. Jinma uses a mating claw system. Find these items:
130 right claw
123 right axle
132 left claw
122 left axle
135 fork
136 spring
145 diff lock lever
Note the cogs on the right claw. Not visible in the diagram are matching slots in left claw. The lever moves the fork which slides the right claw either direction on the right axle splines. The left claw is fixed in place on the left axle splines. Lifting the lever slides the right claw into a mating position with the left claw. But final mating cannot occur without one or the other axles rotating. So odds are low that the claws will be perfectly aligned in the mating position with the tractor at rest.

When engaged, engine torque is holding the two claws together - temporarily simulating a solid rear axle. As long as engine torque is applying pressure, they remain locked.

But when either the engine is throttled down, or the clutch is engaged - spring 136 homes the right claw on the right axle splines, separating the two axles again. That's why I suggest the operator hold the lever in the up position until diff lock is no longer needed, or risk the spring disengaging the claws if he/she inadvertently throttles down or kicks in the clutch before getting "unstuck".

That's why with this type of diff lock, you engage it with at least one axle moving. Slowly of course, common sense should tell one not to attempt it at full throttle. Same for the bit about keeping in a straight line. Turning naturally makes the outside axle turn faster than the inside axle. Doing either while they're locked together risks - at a minimum - tearing up the claws.

//greg//

Link:   Click Here 
Picture Link
Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat: Rear-Axle-Lock--Unlock

04-25-2010, 08:14 Post: 170283
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Sounds like at least in principle it works the same. And mine doesn't actually engage until it finds the sweet spot or mating area. It does stay engaged without foot pressure until there a difference in axle torque.

Are you a professional tech that you know these machines so intimately? And I have to compliment you on your very professional way you approach and describe things--does that come naturally?

04-25-2010, 08:34 Post: 170284
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Nah, just a retired Navy chief. I was a telecommunications troubleshooter, so my approach to all things mechanical is sorta analytical I guess. And chief petty officers typically perform plenty of teaching and training duties in the course of their careers. Plus, it helps to have previously owned a pair of Jinma 200 series tractors. And I currently own a TS354C (TaiShan) and a KM454 (Kama), both Chinese as well.

//greg//

04-25-2010, 11:18 Post: 170286
richwaugh

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

That's interesting, Greg. On my 2007 304 Jinma the differential lock is located aft of the foot throttle, mounted on the side of the gear box. Just a couple inches forward and above it is the engage/disengage for the PTO gear train. (As opposed to the H-N-L PTO lever on the left side of the lift box. The diff lock on my 304 is the step-down-on-it-with-your-right-heel type. I engage it by pushing the clutch in, step on the diff lock pedal, let clutch out and it locks the diff until load is take off the rear end.

The diff lock has saved my butt a couple of times too, I might add. When I had a front wheel in a hole and not in contact with the ground the 4WD was not much help, but the diff lock allowed me to back right out of the hole with no problem, where the rear tire had been spinning before.

The many different permutations of these Chinese tractors are interesting. With all the re-badging that goes on I'm sure it can get confusing to figure out just what you have, especially if you buy a used one. The manuals aren't necessarily that much enlightenment either. Mine hardly mentions the diff lock, for instance, and some of it is applicable to model years older than mine and of no use for my particular iteration. Without forums like these things would be much more complicated.

I too appreciate that your posts are usually quite accurate and your nomenclature is consistent and understandable. Thanks.

Rich

04-25-2010, 14:08 Post: 170292
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwaugh | view 170286
The diff lock on my 304 is the step-down-on-it-with-your-right-heel type.

Different machine. Yours is in the Jinma 300 series. The OP question was in regard to his 200 series. Both my current tractors - a 300 series TaiShan and a 400 series Kama - also have the pull-it-up-to-engage lever. Personally I prefer the stomp-on-it-to-engage design like you have. My old Yanmar had it, and I miss the convenience of not having to occupy the right hand when one is busy getting unstuck.

//greg//

04-25-2010, 16:19 Post: 170295
richwaugh

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Rear Axle Lock / Unlock

Greg,

On the yank-it-up-to-engage type, do you have to continue to hold it up or does it have a detent arrangement? I've never operated one of the 200 series Jinmas so I'm not familiar with that set-up. Just curious is all, trying to expand my information base. I agree that the foot operated one is probably handier, at least I find it very workable. I don't think I'd like to bend down to pull up a lever while trying to get myself unstuck, like you said.

Rich

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Jinma Farmpro Agracat Forum

Thread 170277 Filter by Poster:
affordable 4 | auerbach 2 | corvettteguy 2 | earthwrks 2 | greg_g 6 | richwaugh 3 | tomzah 4 |

Most Viewed

+ Jinma Tractors Are They Worth It???
+ Jinma 284 Ammeter 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing
+ JAPANESE or CHINESE
+ Rebuild Yang Dong Y385 Tractor Engine Settings Man
+ Anyone use a Jinma chipper?
+ Jinma 224 Loader does not lift or tilt
+ Farm Pro 2420 won't start
+ Farm Pro 2425 4WD working?
+ Jinma 200 LE tractor dies will not start
+ SHould i buy a JInma

Most Discussion