Go Bottom Go Bottom

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-01-01          167826

We have a Maytag electric wall oven that the timer/clock/oven control gizmo seems to have gone kaput. It is still lighted but the numbers arent readable and the control buttons do nothing. I checked the internet and found control units from probably three or four different places ranging from 230-250.00, will they be identical no matter who I'd order one from or should I find a Maytag dealer? The oven is 13-14 yrs. old, a new one is 600-1400.00, should I buy a timer or maybe get a new one?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-01          167827

If your wife is otherwise happy with the oven I'd repair it. Maytag generally built pretty good stuff before they became Whirlpool in drag. There's not a lot to go wrong with an oven other than the controls. The stuff made today will likely have more electronics than in past years and will probably be less reliable (if only due to the use of lead-free solder). ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-01          167828

Frank are you sure it's not the loose nut in front of the oven?

Git yer helmet on ol' buddy LOL ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-01-01          167829

Here's an option. If there's two elements (top and bottom) get an on/off switch for each, and bypass the electronic controls. You'll have to turn it on/off manually, but people once survived doing that.

You'll no longer have temp control, so get an oven thermometer with a remote (wired) probe. Attach the probe inside, the readout outside.

Ten bucks, couple hours, and she's good to cook. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-01-01          167835

Ok, a couple options here. Agreed Maytag had a reputation for quality going way back, I don't think we have an appliance or laundry machine that isn't Maytag. So most likely I'll order a control unit.
The simple on/off switch is the most reliable and by far the most economical solution, BBBUUTTT, the Mrs. has gotten too used to the beep beep, blink blink, ding ding, thingys. She uses the wall oven over the regular stove oven probably 90% of the time so getting it fixed would probably have me some cookies a lot sooner.
OK, now EW. I had almost made a New Years resolution to not pick on you quite so much, oh well you pick a side and we'll argue about something. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-01-02          167861

In a previous life I worked on appliances. But much more complicated now.

Frank, I would want to pull that control unit out and have it tested before I spent that much money to find out there was a simple broken connection or a fuse on it that was out. No idea but the control may need 110 volts and something may have broken that connection. Have you checked to be sure it has the 220 to 240 volts it (the oven) needs?

My brother is a Whirlpool dealer and for my money was the only brand to buy (worked for two different Whirlpool dealerships years ago, the one he bought being one. But much has changed in that near 40 years. He told me Whirlpool is going to use the different brands they bought to be different levels I guess much like GM does or did with cars. I do recommend read the Consumer Report before buying a large applicance or vechile. The annual report gives real owners feedback or it did and was very dependable. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-01-03          167868

KT;
Thanks for the tip. I haven't did anything yet, just too many other things right now, another family Christmas even yet today. I will start from the breaker panel and work my way to the control unit with a volt meter. Thanks. Frank. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-01-03          167880

Frank you don't mention this happening but if it lights up at any time and them goes out with load be sure there is not a poor connection. A problem I use to see often on stoves was wires burnt totally or a good bit through right at the connections. A problem that probably has been greatly reduced, but then heavy loads will show at the weakest link.

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-01-03          167882

Kenny---what you don't answer you personal email anymore? I had that $500 I borrowed from you awhile back and needed your address to send it to. Call me sometime you ol' redneck. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
Murf

2010-01-03          167886

Frank, if you still live in a part of the world that has TV repairmen, take that board to them before you buy a new one. Usually the problem on a board like that is some $0.05 part or a bad solder joint. Any repairman worth his salt will find & repair it in short order.

Best of luck.

PS: Save me a drum-stick!

PPS: Jeff, I'll get it to Kenny, just send it to me. ;) ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-01-03          167888

KT;
The light intensity of the caracters doesn't change, they all look like square cornered "8's". The little red words, like on, off, bake, etc are all lighted, nothing blinks. The control touch pad buttons for on, off, temp control, etc. do nothing.
Murf;
Yes we do still have a guy who will do that sort of thing mainly just as a challenge to himself. And he does repair Maytags so he sits in his rocking chair a lot, but I don't think he has a blue cap.
I think the Mrs. is going to be gone Tuesday so I'll tear into it. Kill or cure. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-01-03          167889

Frank, if you inspect the board carefully the problem may pop right out at you. Like Murf said there could be a cracked solder joint, especially around the pads where any mechanical push buttons might be soldered to the board or where relays might be attached. Also where resistors mount since if they're undersized a bit they might heat up a little too much and cause stress on the joint. Look for unusually brown components. Any repeated thermal cycles can cause cracks.

It could also be something as simple as a connector that needs to be reseated, you might try those first. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-01-04          167894

Jeff, do send it by Murf and not through DC. His percentage is reasonable.

Seriously have not seen an email from you and as to phone calls...are you still allowed incoming calls? ;-)

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-01-04          167895

Yeah, I got the okay from the warden for calls. We're buds now.

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
Murf

2010-01-04          167896

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 167895
Yeah, I got the okay from the warden for calls. We're buds now.

See? I told you those pickled eggs and grilled Brats would do the trick. Did you at least manage to get a beer before they were all gone though?

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Best of luck. ....

Maytag Oven

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-01-04          167897

Not even a kiss! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login